Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 327 PC Jerry Miculek version

TonyT

A fellow shooter has a S&W 327 PC with both the Jerry Miculek wood and Houge rubber grips. The gun is alloy frame with titanium cylinder and titanium shroud over a stainless steel barrel. In actual weight it's lighter than a 4 inch barreled K-frame target revolver.

I have not been able to find the gun on S&W's website. Was this a limited production gun? Has anyone had any experience shooting such a light gun in competition?

TonyT, Saw some regular 327's at the IRC. Two were in our squad. On one there was a small sliver of steel just above the barrel gap to cut down of the flame cutting on the alloy. I got to shoot one and at twentyfive yards it was quite accurate. Off hand seven out of eight in the X ring on a Bianchi Tombstone with a shortcolt load.I think these are the same as you are describing. Look for the M&P revos in their fliers they give out. I hope I'm correct but no guarantees. rdd

I think Jerry fooled around with one for awhile at steel matches, and I heard through the grapevine he commented that "it's almost too light." Randy Lee has also mentioned that the lightweight alloy frames are not holding up real well under heavy competition use.

Bubber,

You are describing the gun to which I referred. How was the recoil on the 327 compared to the normal 627? I like the idea but am concerned that the recoil may be excessive in such a light revolver. I believe than an ideal configuration would be a revolver with stainless frame, titanium cylinder and titanium shroud over the stainless barrel.

TonyT, Saw some regular 327's at the IRC. Two were in our squad. On one there was a small sliver of steel just above the barrel gap to cut down of the flame cutting on the alloy. I got to shoot one and at twentyfive yards it was quite accurate. Off hand seven out of eight in the X ring on a Bianchi Tombstone with a shortcolt load.I think these are the same as you are describing. Look for the M&P revos in their fliers they give out. I hope I'm correct but no guarantees. rdd

TonyT, I am probalby not the guy to ask that, for I don't shoot major. Although it did not feel much different than my 627 light loads. It is all what you get used to but major in a Scandium Frame does not sound to enticing for the wear and tear on the gun and you... later rdd

I have one, and shot it yesterday for the first time....and it was in a match, just to give me the whole perspective. I was shooting light steel / ICORE loads, and it seemed to work OK. I suffered the normal issues, of shooting faster than I could see, but I get that with the Stainless guns as well. As time goes by, I may be able to add some more info, but it always seems to come back to the same old thing. Practise with the gun you have, and you will shoot better than those who don't practise with guns that they think will win the match for them. Trust me, I have tried both, and have shot better in matches that I practised for with a 686, than the ones that I didn't with the Super Duper guns of recent times. :cheers:

I asked Jerry how his 327's were holding up at last years Nationals SC and his comment was that he just

couldn't kill 'em, he was shooting 2 of his version, one iron sighted and one with an OKO dot on it.

Seems he shot the same two revo's at this years National SC in South Carolina also.

I also asked how they felt and he did say that they were totally different than the 627 versions,

more "quick" in the recoil but not snappy. He did mention it was tough to shoot both versions at a match

well as they handled differently. I think the open one was even ported ??

Guess a re-post from Randy Lee would be helpful, IIRC his comments were an opinion on the longevity of

the 327 frames and not actual data as the guns were still fairly new at the time. (but I could be wrong)

Maybe Randy has more info now and someone will un-chain him from the workbench to type a bit.

I got to handle a new all black 327 this past weekend at the World Class Steel Shoot, it had a muzzle heavy

feel since the cylinder and barrel shroud were steel but not too bad.

(it did have a dot on it so maybe that added to the muzzle heavy feel)

Come on 327 owners, let us know what you think.

OH..and TonyT, it does sound like you were handling the JM 5 inch gun, which was a special run.

You might find one on one of the auction sites or do a search here for "327" for more info.

here's a past post with some pic's

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...6248&hl=327

Edited by 10mmdave

There are at least THREE different versions of the 327 with the five-inch barrel...the 327 "JM", the 327 "TRR" and the 327 "M&P"...The "JM" gun has the Ti cylinder and barrel shroud, and, IIRC, the "Catalog Listed" weight was 29 ounces-!!!

The 327 "Tactical Response Revolver"--TRR--and the 327 "M&P" are listed at 35-36 ounces, IIRC, and both have a STEEL cylinder...not sure about the barrel shroud...ALL the five-inch 327's have the "Flame Cut Shield" above the breech end of the barrel, and all have the interchangeable "Classic Style" front sight...FWIW, the "JM" version was only made for a short while, and has, I believe, been DISCONTINUED...IIRC, the original Distributor for that version was "Jerry's Sports Center"...don't know if they have any more on hand or not...

I am currently shooting a 327 "TRR" at "Steel", and will likely try it at an "ICORE" Match next month...Mine has a "Randy Lee" Hammer, and Randy's Level II "Action Job"...it will run Federal American Eagle 130-gr. "Ball"--what I'm currently shooting at "Steel"--100% reliability-wise with the DA set at six pounds even...

I bought the gun second-hand...between me and the "Previous Owner", the gun has about 1,600 rounds thru it, and more "Dry Fire" than that...the ONLY sign of wear ANYWHERE on the gun is a lil' bit of "Case Head Shadowing" on the recoil shield...and I mean just a lil' bit...

INITIALLY--while I was "Practicing" with it and "Zeroing" the sights--I thought that the gun might be TOO LIGHT for "Steel", but that has NOT proven to be the case...I kinda' LIKE it for "Steel"...

FWIW, "Pinshooter" is right about PRACTICE...due to a Hospitalization and subsequent Death in my Sister's Family, I wasn't able to do any "Practice" before my last "Steel Match", EXCEPT about three or four "Dry Fire" session...which I did with a Model 27-8--the "PC" eight-shot "Reg. Mag." repro...with it's only so-so trigger, I had LOTS of "Adjusting" to do when I pulled out the 327 "TRR" at the "Steel Match"!!! It wasn't terribly UGLY, but then, it wasn't "Pretty", either...

If anyone is interested in a NIB, unfired 327 "TRR", "PM" or e-mail me, as I have one I may part with...with having the "Randy Lee" gun, I just don't think I need TWO of 'em!!!....mikey357

Edited by mikey357

I have one. I like the lighter weight. It has been hodling up fine. I shot it at my first IRC this June and did reasonably well for my 1st time. I have 5 other revolvers and I want to buy something expensive so I am selling it and sticking with my six shooters. Plus I like project guns and this one is ready to go now. Email me and I'll send you pics.

Rick Kelso

It's not that I'm opposed to a lighter revolver, I just can't see paying more for one. Especially now that the 627 Pro is out, you'd be paying a lot more for a gun which, to me, has virtually no advantage except for faster transitions.

Thanks all for your comments. I'm going to take the plunge and purchase one. The few shots with mild minor loads felt comfortable and the accuracy at 25 yards was excellent. I'll give it a good college try. If it does not work out I'll put a for sale sign on it. I'll keep you posted on my evaluation during the next month.

Thanks all for your comments. I'm going to take the plunge and purchase one. The few shots with mild minor loads felt comfortable and the accuracy at 25 yards was excellent. I'll give it a good college try. If it does not work out I'll put a for sale sign on it. I'll keep you posted on my evaluation during the next month.

TonyT I own a 327 JM I don't think felt recoil is over 140 pf. shooting 120 pf. loads compared with my 627 38 super at 125 pf. Recoil is snappier and higher but it all happens quicker. The main thing I like about it, is that the fraction second after recoil the sights come down and stop giving me alot of confidence in the following shot. In comparison my my 38 super 5in heavy lug, the sight bounce two or three times before they finally settle.

As to the gun I've been shooting speed steel every month for over a year lots of times in two class and the frame appears un harmed and the ti cylinder is definetly out lasting any steel or stainless I have.

• 1 month later...

My post from another thread:

I just picked up a brand new Miculek 327 PC and shot it for the first time this morning. The recoil was pretty mellow using 38 spl loads. I also shot my 625 for comparison, and both of us thought the 625 had just a little more felt recoil.

Then I shot a few .357 magnums through it and thought the recoil was really cool. I actually enjoyed it, but would not want to run more than a couple of cylinders full of the badboys. It went something like this - squeeze, bang, regrip, squeeze, bang, regrip, squeeze, bang, regrip....etc. It's hard to hang onto the sucker with the Miculek grips on it.

The only problem is that the 327 has such a wide barrel on it, if I loosen up my holster to accomodate it, my 625 fits way too lose unless I tighten the holster back up.

The cylinder locks up REALLY tight like Carmoney suggested, but hopefully it will loosen up after a few weeks of dry fire. I also looked at the center pin hole and it looks like the alloy frame is sleeved with steel around the pin hole to keep it from wearing out irregularly. I'm sure the sleeve could be replaced, if needed.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

I made the plunge and purchased the 327 JM version with Ti cylinder and barrel shroud. While I cannot get the trigger as light as my 627 PC it is more than acceptable. Recoil is much snappier than the 627 but it appears to come back to target faster. I will put another 500 rounds through it before deciding if it's a keeper.

Pin Shooter shot I believe his 327 at the SC this year and did very well...when he gets home I am sure he will post his findings and why he shot that gun for the Steel Challenge.

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

Yes, I am back. I left PMD in the Admirals Club with my drink vouchers and hurried to board a flight that sat on the runway for almost another hour. I was pissed.....well actually I was sober, that is why I was pissed.

:cheers:

The 327 performed very well all weekend. I have now got 2000 rounds of 115 PF ammo through this gun. I like the weight for Steel, and I tend not to need to brake as early for transitions ( this is really a feel thing, and I can't back that up with science ) but it feels good to me. Jerry and Vic have both shot this guns in years past, and went back to Steel framed guns for this years match. ( for whatever reason ) I consider both of these guys exceptional revolver shooters, and I don't think that different equipment has any serious effect on their results.

Randy ran his eye over the frame in the parking lot, and noticed no early signs of wear. He did warn that the lock slot could be an area for wear, but I rarely slap the cylinder, I prefer smooth and quick pull through, so this may not be too big of a deal for me.

I also have just fitted some new Hogue big butts to my gun, last wednesday to be precise, and ran them all weekend. While Steel has no prone section in it, I found them quite good to assist in getting a consistent grip. I also "felt" for the first time, that I was getting a good left hand ( support hand ) grip. This is first time that I can recall the senstaion of a firm weak hand grip, and loose strong hand grip.

All in all, I like the 327 for Steel, I haven't shot an ICORE match with it yet, and it may not be right for that game, but it certainly worked well for me on Steel.

Mark

• 1 month later...
A fellow shooter has a S&W 327 PC with both the Jerry Miculek wood and Houge rubber grips. The gun is alloy frame with titanium cylinder and titanium shroud over a stainless steel barrel. In actual weight it's lighter than a 4 inch barreled K-frame target revolver.

I have not been able to find the gun on S&W's website. Was this a limited production gun? Has anyone had any experience shooting such a light gun in competition?

Tony,

Did you ever find that 327? I'm looking for one also. Do you have any sources?

Tony,

I think post #19 Tony says he got a 327JM.

The only 327JM I see on the net is this one:

http://www.luckysgunsandtackle.com/item.ph...=1&cat_id=4

Did you get the houge big butt grip with or without the finger grooves?

Yes, I am back. I left PMD in the Admirals Club with my drink vouchers and hurried to board a flight that sat on the runway for almost another hour. I was pissed.....well actually I was sober, that is why I was pissed.

:cheers:

The 327 performed very well all weekend. I have now got 2000 rounds of 115 PF ammo through this gun. I like the weight for Steel, and I tend not to need to brake as early for transitions ( this is really a feel thing, and I can't back that up with science ) but it feels good to me. Jerry and Vic have both shot this guns in years past, and went back to Steel framed guns for this years match. ( for whatever reason ) I consider both of these guys exceptional revolver shooters, and I don't think that different equipment has any serious effect on their results.

Randy ran his eye over the frame in the parking lot, and noticed no early signs of wear. He did warn that the lock slot could be an area for wear, but I rarely slap the cylinder, I prefer smooth and quick pull through, so this may not be too big of a deal for me.

I also have just fitted some new Hogue big butts to my gun, last wednesday to be precise, and ran them all weekend. While Steel has no prone section in it, I found them quite good to assist in getting a consistent grip. I also "felt" for the first time, that I was getting a good left hand ( support hand ) grip. This is first time that I can recall the senstaion of a firm weak hand grip, and loose strong hand grip.

All in all, I like the 327 for Steel, I haven't shot an ICORE match with it yet, and it may not be right for that game, but it certainly worked well for me on Steel.

Mark

Tony,

I think post #19 Tony says he got a 327JM.

The only 327JM I see on the net is this one:

http://www.luckysgunsandtackle.com/item.ph...=1&cat_id=4

Thanks for the info. I called and its a 2" model I need a 5". Hard to find.