Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can lock-up be too tight?

SLM

I was checking out a gun the other day and the slide to barrel lock up was crazy tight, at least to me. It locked with a KA-THUNK and I really had to get a hold of it to cycle the slide. The easy way to do it was to whack the muzzle with your hand to unlock it then cycle it. Definitely not something that you could do at a USPSA match!

Is there such a thing as too tight? :surprise:

i think that's really the right way to fit it. it's supposed to go ka-chunk at first, just tight enough to stop before the bottom lugs cam over the slide stop. let it break in, then put in a new, unworn slide stop, and you're really good to go..........but i have seen some that were stupid tight and needed some more fitting to be good tight, so.....you're probably at the point that a couple touches w/a file/stone would make you happier, but if it shoots, then it'll wear itself, so......

Many smiths use a "hard fit".

The Caspian that I made at my gunsmithing class is fit tight in the lock-up like that, which seems right. But, it's not overly tight like...

One semi-production 1911 maker does them all extra hard. It seems on purpose. That way, their gun can stand out from the others in the display case.

I have an old USAF manual on accurizing the 1911. They state that it should NOT close completely from .5" open. IOW, pull the slide back .5" and let go. According to them it should not close completely. Now THAT'S tight.

Many smiths use a "hard fit".

The Caspian that I made at my gunsmithing class is fit tight in the lock-up like that, which seems right. But, it's not overly tight like...

One semi-production 1911 maker does them all extra hard. It seems on purpose. That way, their gun can stand out from the others in the display case.

The one that is in part of my forum name :rolleyes:

Edited by baerburtchell

Zero clearance is as tight as .005" of interference fit in terms of accuracy and fit. The difference is zero clearance will operate smoothly, go into battery easily and come out of battery easily. It will also be reliable from the first shot. There is NO reason to have them any tighter than zero clearance, and when fit right they won't loosen up or 'break in'. A gun that is so tight you have to whack the muzzle or needs "broken in" is a gun that wasn't finished on the smith's bench IMO.

Yes it can. Why lock it up so tight that you have to peen & wear the bottom lugs down for it to open right. Cut it there the first time & do away with the break in & wearing of metal & it will shoot as good. Should not need a come-a-long to open a slide.

Thanks guys. The gun was a semi-custom single stack. I won't mention the name on it, haha! :rolleyes:

It really felt (to me) that it still needed some work. I wouldn't have bought it!

I have an old USAF manual on accurizing the 1911. They state that it should NOT close completely from .5" open. IOW, pull the slide back .5" and let go. According to them it should not close completely. Now THAT'S tight.

Note: I stated it was an OLD USAF manual. NOT what I practice myself.

Funny flyboys.