Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Gun

JFlowers

I got my new Open gun put together a few weeks ago and since then I have had no time to shoot. Friday, I finally got down to the range and had a chance to run the gun hard. But I found a few problems and I am hoping someone can give me some pointers since I am trying doing most of the work myself on this one. Technical facts - Para frame, STI 38 Super slide, 3 port comp and 2 barrel ports. Load is 3N38 under a 115gr, same in 38S and 38SC brass.

First problem is 38 Super Comp.... The gun runs like a champ with 38S but with 38SC, I get periodic ejection problems. The case ends up with the tale-tale double creases in the case mouth, so my guess is that it is hitting the CMore and bouncing back into the ejection port. I know how to tune the ejector. But is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Second problem is the Para mags... Para 38 Super bodies, Dawson Para basepads, Dawson spring, Para factory follower. At 20 rounds or so of either 38S or 38SC , something sticks and the magazine just become a hollow tube full of rattling bullets. After I dump the rounds, I can see the follow and two bullets hung up in the mag. I am thinking its hanging at the joint of the tube and basepad. So I was thinking I just need to polish the inside well and blend the joint. Anything else this might be?

Thanks guys for the ideas and help!!!

If it runs with Super but not SC it is probably an extractor tension issue, the extractor set up needs to be done specifically for the cartridge used. An Aftec is slightly more forgiving, but I still don't recommend shooting both cases in the same gun, one is going to be too tight and the other too loose no matter what you do.

Rounds hanging when they go from in the magazine to in the basepad is very common. It is something you probably won't get past. Load 18 or 19 in them and get some different mags to use for higher capacity.

Keep your eyes open for a 170mm STI made for Para tube, some just sold here. I have found the best 40 setup for Para's is the Factory tube, factory follower, wolff para springs, and the Dawson extended pads. I got 20 rounds of 40, the same setup in 38 should provide 24 25 ish ? The the smaller 38 round may benifit from a spacer that eases the transition from pad to tube, you didnt mention them and dawson says they are required for 38 and 9mm para's when used with their extended pads. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0002-1134161784 if the link doesnt work it is dawson part 501-007.

Just a word about Para mags...They do not suck! I have a Limited .45 built on a Para frame kit (complete guns were not available when I had mine put together!!!). My mags have been tuned using original parts. With quality ammo - either factory or my handloads they have worked for years. Don't let the experiences of others make a decision for you.

Richard

Para mags in Super with extended basepads need the retainer with fingers, like the post above.

Without it, the rounds will get caught on the bottom of the ribs.

The the smaller 38 round may benifit from a spacer that eases the transition from pad to tube, you didnt mention them and dawson says they are required for 38 and 9mm para's when used with their extended pads. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0002-1134161784 if the link doesnt work it is dawson part 501-007.

I think this is the problem with the mags. I use to have a para 38 super and I never had a problem with rounds in the magazine (not in SC anyway).

I will put the spacers in the magazines, I was use to running a Para 40 which never needed the spacers. The AFTEC is on back-order. The STI for Para big sticks run just fine. Its only the Para tubes that cause me problems.

We are assuming that the bind is side to side. What OAL are you all using in your 38S/SC Paras?

• 3 weeks later...

This is interesting...long before thr modular frames came out I tried a 38 Super Para ..never could get the thing near 100% running,... always, figured it was the mags (got the rattle can effect, like you at 26/29 rounds). Not one to give up after 15 or so years????, I just started to build a Para in 9mm for steel... See the same thing happining.. Have the Dawson pads/w/the Purple extender. I run a long 9mm out to 1.200 (no spacers) Can see it's a timing issue... I think it always was but we didn't have the mag tuners out there like today.... Does seem like that Todd guy ever had all those problems, so they can work??.... my $.02

I've had a similar problem where I had taken too much of the tension (playing with the springs) out of the aftec. Too much tension and it would not chamber every round. Too little had the rounds bouncing off the scope mount. Pretty easy for someone else to see if they watch you shoot some rounds off.

Sounds like at least part of the problem may be not enough tension on the SC's.