Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel question OEM vs aftermarket

vluc

If you switch a barrel from OEM to aftermarket, what has been the result on power factor for loaded ammo? Example - you run xxx with the OEM, what (if anything) can you expect to see with the new barrel (KKM or Barsto) when chronographing the load?

I would not expect much change, but a tighter chamber may have a slight impact.

If you switch a barrel from OEM to aftermarket, what has been the result on power factor for loaded ammo? Example - you run xxx with the OEM, what (if anything) can you expect to see with the new barrel (KKM or Barsto) when chronographing the load?

I would not expect much change, but a tighter chamber may have a slight impact.

A new barrel works better because the barrel pass is new and "capture" better the bullet.

as Joe4d noted, every barrel is different. there is no way to predict which direction velocity might change. for example, my BarSto 38 super barrel is significantly slower than my Colt barrel. my Ed Brown 45 barrel is slower than my Kart barrel.

My Nowlin and Kart barrels run faster than a friend's Schuemann. A GM and I were testing loads in his gun and mine guns just before Nationals last year. My barrels ran faster than his by 10-20 fps. He would chrono, then go in and load 15 more rounds with a new recipe then we would both chrono the rounds. Could be the barrels or just the way the guns were built.

My Nowlin and Kart barrels run faster than a friend's Schuemann. A GM and I were testing loads in his gun and mine guns just before Nationals last year. My barrels ran faster than his by 10-20 fps. He would chrono, then go in and load 15 more rounds with a new recipe then we would both chrono the rounds. Could be the barrels or just the way the guns were built.

Pretty common....I know a lot of folks that have seen lower velocities after switching to a Schuemann. That's not a dig at all as they're going in all of my guns now, but I've heard the same thing from a number of folks.