Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about buying a .38 super,

cheers623

Hello all,

I have posted a few questions before and got great feedback so HELP ME OUT PLEASE. I have my eye on a used .38 super in great shape for cheap. I have always shot limited division but am always intrigued by open. This looks like a great way to test the waters so to speak. However, most everyone I know is shooting 9major or 38 supercomp. My question is this, if the magazines are setup and tuned correctly, the gun is setup correctly with the extractor and ejector and spring weights adjusted, is .38 super any less reliable than either a good 9major or 38 supercomp gun? I know a few guys that shoot 38 super locally and they seem to run fine MOST OF THE TIME. But, is 38 super inherently less reliable than the other 2 setups? I understand fully the theory behind the other 2 cartridges but would love feedback from those of you with actual working experience. I would just like to try open division for giggles and this gun looks like an ieal opportunity. Thanks in advance for all the insight and feedback, past, present, and future.

All the best,

Cheers623

DVC

Sorry, one last point of clarification. I was wondering about feed reliability from double stack mags also. This seems to be a recurring theme in the open caliber debate. Thanks again....

Cheers623

Supercomp is slightly more reliable, feeding-wise, but it's a small difference. If the gun and mags are setup right, Super will run 100%. There is a very slight chance that the semi-rims can get hooked on one another, but it's not common. The difference that seems to matter the most is that Super cases take up more mag space so you lose half a round to a round in capacity. All you need to do to change between the two is swap extractors. Some folks have their extractors setup to work with either, but that means that they aren't ideal for either...just better to have one for each if you want to go back and forth. R,

Or you simply can have the chamber opened up for 9x23 (Starline calls it 9 Supercomp). It's a great cartridge for a whole lot of reasons: Super strong brass, feeds reliably, makes major with a myriad of powders, and requires no other change except to replace the extractor.

A-G

So, is it really as simple as swapping extractors to switch to 38 supercomp? There is no problem with the breechface dimensions being slightly too large? This might be a nice way to go if it is indeed that simple. By the way, I could not help myself and PULLED THE TRIGGER.....damn 'BUY NOW' button got me all worked up. Anyway, I am now dying for info on this subject. I know there are million threads on this forum about ALL THINGS OPEN!!! I have started reading most of them. Please give more feedback about 38 super and/or converting to 38 supercomp. Thanks a bunch so far and keep it comin...

Cheers623

DVC

So, is it really as simple as swapping extractors to switch to 38 supercomp? There is no problem with the breechface dimensions being slightly too large? This might be a nice way to go if it is indeed that simple. By the way, I could not help myself and PULLED THE TRIGGER.....damn 'BUY NOW' button got me all worked up. Anyway, I am now dying for info on this subject. I know there are million threads on this forum about ALL THINGS OPEN!!! I have started reading most of them. Please give more feedback about 38 super and/or converting to 38 supercomp. Thanks a bunch so far and keep it comin...

Cheers623

DVC

I started out in open shooting 38 super. Supercomp and 38tj were just becoming the new fad and brass was sometimes hard to get. 38super on the other hand was plentiful and about 20/k less to buy. I shot 2 seasons with super before changing over to super comp. All I did was install a new aftec in supercomp and went back to shooting. I still use super in 1 of my practice guns as I still have large amoounts of super. If the gun is setup correctly and is reliable with super now it will be good as any with the only downside being 1 less round in the mags. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot super if supercomp became unavailable. and regardless of the brass situation, I would shoot super/supercomp over major 9 as the gun /magazine relationship is mor critical as well as the mag/oal of cartridge in major9. I have a major 9 gun but only shoot it at 1 match because of the sandy soil and the complete loss of brass at every match.

just a minor point. i've had feeding trouble with NEW unfired 38 super brass in a double stack. after the brass has been fired, and more importantly, tumbled, it feeds better. presumably the tumbling rounds off sharp edges that might be the problem. i've switched to the rimless Super Comp and have had no feeding issues since then.

When I started shooting Open since I didn't have any brass/dies ect....I just when with Supercomp......unless you have everything setup and have the appropriate supply why bother with 38 Super?

Cheers623,

I've only been shooting .38 super auto since January, but I have found that most of the very few problems I have are due to me not keeping the gun as clean as it should be. My limited gun and revolver seemed to thrive on left over combustion products but the open guns are a bit more finicky.

Once they are properly set up, just keep 'em clean and they are pretty reliable.

fwiw

dj

just a minor point. i've had feeding trouble with NEW unfired 38 super brass in a double stack. after the brass has been fired, and more importantly, tumbled, it feeds better. presumably the tumbling rounds off sharp edges that might be the problem. i've switched to the rimless Super Comp and have had no feeding issues since then.

tumble your new brass before you reload it...

The difference is not so easy to quantify. Supercomp is definitely the better mousetrap but by how much? In my mind it comes down to margin for reliability. All other things being equal, the supercomp will be more reliable, period. Most super shooters that I know locally seem to have slightly poorer reliability with 170mm mags than 140s. I have always run supercomp for all of my open guns and my 170 mm mags have always been completely reliable, we dont even run 140s anymore. Higher brass cost is not an issue for me...You will have to decide if the higher brass cost is justifiable for you.

Here is a picture link from gunbroker of the pistol I just bought.

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/10058400...x3879829562.jpg

As far as brass costs, both 38 and 38sc are going to be expensive with the difference not being a huge factor for me. It is starting to sound like the 38 supercomp route might be the slightly better choice by a small margin with regard to reliability and magazine capacity. All of the replies so far have made me feel great about the choice to go with a 38/38sc gun over going the 9major route. That is not to bash 9major, only to say that it sounds like 38/38sc is a more forgiving and slightly more versatile cartridge for a total OPEN division newbie like me. Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far. It has given me a lot to bug my buddies about at the next match.

One last question about the difference between 38 and 38supercomp. What is different about how you set up the extractor? Is it just slightly more tension to account for the slightly smaller case rim of the 38sc or is there something different about the extractor hook position and engagement?

For those of you wondering about the gun I bought, I should explain my choice. I am a lefty with HUGE hands and EVERY single open gun I have test fired with a frame mounted dot chokes because my thumb blocks the ejection port and brass bounces back into the gun. People have handed me their gun and said "this thing never malfunctions" and then within 5 rounds.....CHOKE. So, I felt if I ever tried Open division it would have to be with a slide mounted dot. I look on gunbroker one day and VOILA!!! There it is.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Cheers

DVC

Check your extracter, it is probably a little tight.

Here is a picture link from gunbroker of the pistol I just bought.

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/10058400...x3879829562.jpg

One last question about the difference between 38 and 38supercomp. What is different about how you set up the extractor? Is it just slightly more tension to account for the slightly smaller case rim of the 38sc or is there something different about the extractor hook position and engagement?

For those of you wondering about the gun I bought, I should explain my choice. I am a lefty with HUGE hands and EVERY single open gun I have test fired with a frame mounted dot chokes because my thumb blocks the ejection port and brass bounces back into the gun. People have handed me their gun and said "this thing never malfunctions" and then within 5 rounds.....CHOKE. So, I felt if I ever tried Open division it would have to be with a slide mounted dot. I look on gunbroker one day and VOILA!!! There it is.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Cheers

DVC

Nice looking gun :) 38sup->38sc extractor setup difference is hook engagement. I am a convert to the Aftec myself.

Depending upon the precision the pistol was built with in the first place, switching from super to supercomp might just be a matter of tossing in an extractor. Depending on the breechface, the tension from the extractor may push the round over far enough to have the round a bit off center (you can look at the firing pin strike). In most guns it probably won't matter. But you never know...

First of all Cheers, welcome to the Dark Side .

Second, I'd stick with one of the rimless 38 super variants such as 38 supercomp brass from Starline.

If you are not all set up to reload yet, Atlanta Arms sell rimless 38 super ammo in USPSA major. Might take some of the initial worries away.

Where are you located? Have a local smith familiar with USPSA guns replace the extractor with an AFTEC, check the gun over for "issues" and have fun!