Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would happen if a 9mm Major went into a stock Glock?

Madcap Magician

I have a KKM drop-in on order now. KKM is what SJC uses, and they say that it has the best support. I'll check it out and let you know.

Ok. My KKM came and the amount chamber support looks about the same as the stock G34 barrel. In fact, my Briley and LWD barrels look equally supported.

I think I recall an article saying that blow-outs due to non-fully supported chambers was most common on the .40 cal Glocks and that the 9mm is pretty well supported.

To be safe you have to slowly increase your load checking for signs of excess pressure just like you did for your open glock.

Be sure to first throat your barrel so you can load long. This will also lessen the pressure spike since

your round is not up against the rifling. Check for enough throating by spinning your loaded round in the chamber with your finger and

let it drop out on its own. Your chambered round should be loose in there with no sticking.

I can't wait to get my barrel back! I'll start by loading up some "factory" equivalent stuff. After I get the SJC convertable, I'll start cranking it up until the comp is really working. Then I'll chrono to see if I'm making Major. I fear that it won't make Major...

I have a KKM drop-in on order now. KKM is what SJC uses, and they say that it has the best support. I'll check it out and let you know.

Ok. My KKM came and the amount chamber support looks about the same as the stock G34 barrel. In fact, my Briley and LWD barrels look equally supported.

I think I recall an article saying that blow-outs due to non-fully supported chambers was most common on the .40 cal Glocks and that the 9mm is pretty well supported.

To be safe you have to slowly increase your load checking for signs of excess pressure just like you did for your open glock.

Be sure to first throat your barrel so you can load long. This will also lessen the pressure spike since

your round is not up against the rifling. Check for enough throating by spinning your loaded round in the chamber with your finger and

let it drop out on its own. Your chambered round should be loose in there with no sticking.

I can't wait to get my barrel back! I'll start by loading up some "factory" equivalent stuff. After I get the SJC convertable, I'll start cranking it up until the comp is really working. Then I'll chrono to see if I'm making Major. I fear that it won't make Major...

If a LWD drop in barrel is the right length you can get that and ask JR to throat it for you.

Hopefully you won't need to spend more money on it!

Right now we are all pioneers in building open 9 major.

Nah, I have been really close to 200 power factor with 115 grain bullets in 9mm major and didn't even flatten a Federal small pistol primer a little bit. Making major with a 9 is really pretty easy other than actually loading them, powder spills on the press are a pain.

Nah, I have been really close to 200 power factor with 115 grain bullets in 9mm major and didn't even flatten a Federal small pistol primer a little bit. Making major with a 9 is really pretty easy other than actually loading them, powder spills on the press are a pain.

I know you are a great smith. My friends STI mags run flawlessly!

So can you please share your secret recipe!

We are all shooting out of Glocks though. The case support is not as good as a STI.

My primers are flat as a pancake with 8.2 of HS6 at 1.159 OAL zero 125jhp and is about the max you can go for OAL.

I see in Tim Warners loading info you are using 9.0 of HS6 with the zero 115jhp. Is that a safer pressure than what I am using 8.2 hs6

with my 125 zero jhp. I want to try the 115s but scared!

Edited by coltgov

wanted to clear one item up. SJC uses kkm barrels that are "gunsmith fit" this barrel has extra material at the feed ramp. The extra material alows the gun smith to shape the ramp in a way to suport the case to the exstractor slot .The web in the case is solid at this point.

That being said a week case can still give problems.To that end it is advisable to run major loads in properly built pistols.on the other hand in conversations with glock employes that have information that we dont.Say the pistols can handle it and are prof tested to much higher standards than we shoot.

In testing with ammo developments I have found that major 9 loads produce 10 to 20 thousand psi more than a factory standard cartrige.depending on the powders used.

back in the day I tried shooting major 9 loads in a stock barrel and the results were stinging . lots of poped cases.dosent feel good when they let go.

I guess to answer the question at hand it would realy depend on how hot your load is and weather the case can stand it. the case is realy the weak link in the whole deal.

my suggestion for major 9 use once fired of a good brand and leave them lay after. this way you will more likely have a realy strong case in the unsuppported chamber if by accident a round finds its way into a stock profile gun.

me I would not do it knowing what i know

As Harmond said the Winchester P+P is major and then some.

Well, and then a little, in my experience. Running 20 rounds of Winchester 127-grain SXT +P+ over the skycreens through my Glock 34 gave me an average power factor of 165.8. :lol:

That being said a week case can still give problems.To that end it is advisable to run major loads in properly built pistols.on the other hand in conversations with glock employes that have information that we dont.Say the pistols can handle it and are prof tested to much higher standards than we shoot.

If I remember correctly (former Glock employee here), the "Proof Loads" were loaded by Winchester and were 20% more that SAMI Specs. Glock, Inc. doesn't allow the guns to be "Proofed" by hand, the pistols are inserted into a shooting box similar to a Ransom Rest and pushed into the firing range behind safety glass. Fired 3-5 rds each.

GS31

FWIW - I saw Ernest Langdon (S&W Gov't sales) yesterday and he's getting 1323fps for a 10 shot average out of a 5" M&P9 making 168pf with Winchester Ranger 127+P+, he said none went under 1300fps.

• 2 weeks later...
Can 9 major brass be reloaded to 9mm pressures?

I reload brass picked up from a local in-door range. Without know how many times it has been reloaded prior, I do not try and reload the brass that I used for Major.

I hand-sort all of my 9mm brass now before cleaning and chuck out any that looks like it came from a 9 Major gun. I have reloaded 9 Major shot brass to minor levels and had no problems, but damn are they hard on the reloader. It's just not worth the wear and tear on the reloader and a possible head separation. It goes into the scrap bucket after being smashed with pliers.