Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911 assembly / disassembly instructions

cuzinvinny

As I've become more familiar with my 1911, I've started to proceed further and further in the disassembly and re-assembly process. Just removed the extractor for cleaning, for the first time. I've decided that I really need either a good DVD or book with detailed (meaning lots of pictures) dis-assembly and re-assembly instructions. Any recommendations?

Kuhnhausen"s Volume one is by far the best it starts with basice stripping and cleaning and moves all the way to machining and fitting new parts.

excellent writing and photos and diagrams out the wazoo, volume 2 is also outstanding :cheers:

As I've become more familiar with my 1911, I've started to proceed further and further in the disassembly and re-assembly process. Just removed the extractor for cleaning, for the first time. I've decided that I really need either a good DVD or book with detailed (meaning lots of pictures) dis-assembly and re-assembly instructions. Any recommendations?
The Wilson Combat manual for the 1911 is the best for assembly/dis assembly. It has photos for every step and shows exactly how to do it. Worth it's weight in gold. I also have the Kuhnhausen manuals since I do gunsmithing, but they have far more information that most people would need for routine disassembly and assembly for cleaning and maintenance.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_book_401.asp

best $10 you'll ever spend.

Edited by bountyhunter

Here's what I learned from at home : this video. Look at other videos from the same guy for more easy to learn and use 1911 assembly/disassembly work. Best of all, it's free. :D

That guy in the video swept his hand several times before taking out a full mag from the gun. Do people ever go by the number 1 rule in firearms safety?