Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stripped Grip Screw in STI Grip, suggestions for removal?

So I am trying to get the STI grip off the actuall frame, becuase I want to change the SV Flat Trigger. But the little allen head screw/bushing that sits just above the trigger guard is stripped. Or shall I rather say "rounded" Instead of fitting a nice square edged allen head in it, the wrench just spins, and I can't get enough grab to unlock the bushing from the screw. It is soaking in WD-40 right now in hopes it will loosen the hold of the bushing, but are there any other suggestions other than drilling it out? :wacko:

So I am trying to get the STI grip off the actuall frame, becuase I want to change the SV Flat Trigger. But the little allen head screw/bushing that sits just above the trigger guard is stripped. Or shall I rather say "rounded" Instead of fitting a nice square edged allen head in it, the wrench just spins, and I can't get enough grab to unlock the bushing from the screw. It is soaking in WD-40 right now in hopes it will loosen the hold of the bushing, but are there any other suggestions other than drilling it out? :wacko:

Use a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool and cut a slot in the head of the screw and unscrew it with a blade screwdriver.

Matt, just use a small easy-out (screw extractor) in the rounded side with the allen wrench in the other.

And don't use any loc-tite when you put it back together! Just check them for tightness every time you clean the pistol.

My method of choice with striped hex screws.

Using an american or metric allen wrench ,the next size larger,

File three adjacent sides with slight taper , small enough as to be able to tap into

The striped out screw , tight enough to hold while turning the other side.

An EZ Out kit is available at Harbor Freight for about $8. Just be VERY careful to not break off the EZ Out because they are harder than hell and you will never drill the broken piece out.

Edited by EricW

Hello: I have removed more broken EZ outs than I can count. The best solution is a left hand twist drill. It will bite into the head of the screw and remove it for you. You will have to hold the other screw with the correct allen wrench while doing this. What I did was use blue Locktite on one side of the sleave and none on the other. That way one screw will come out easier leaving the other in the sleave. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric