Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Change Strategy?

rtr

I'm a relatively new IPSC shooter with 6 or so matches under my belt. I shoot a Glock 17 and sometimes a 30 in production.

In planning my overall stage strategy I am having a hard time determining when to plan mag changes, and as a result often get surprised when my gun runs out of ammo, and thus my mag changes are somewhat slow. The reason is that I often plan for mag changes during array transitions but end up using up my ammo before the planned change spot because I miss some steel or something. Because my skill level is low I can't always count on hitting all the targets with the allotted ammo.

So the question, how should I plan for mag changes? Should I count rounds and just always change after I reach 10, or should I count rounds but then always change when an opportunity presents itself (ie when moving etc.)? I'm not sure I'm capable of thinking about shooting, overall stage strategy, and counting rounds at the same time. So how do other folks (esp production and lim 10) do it? Thanks.

rtr,

I suppose in Limited-10 programming mag changes will be quite different from (un)Limited.

As a commom strategy, I would suggest to reload on the move from an array of targets to the next, but I understand this is somewhat difficult when you have to shoot 9 rounds from a single viewpoint, and you only have 10 or 11 in your gun.

As Todd Jarret once said, a long course is only a set of short courses with some running in between.

The only useful advice I could give you is make every shot count: i.e. slow down a little, think as a Revolver shooter would do; in other words, better slowing down 0.1 secs on each target than wasting 2 secs on a mag change (from still position) to make up the last shot or two.

This will allow you hit your reloads when planned.

As a production shooter, when I started, I had a similar concern. When i walked the stage I always thought in arrays of ten (10) - had to fit everything in 10. This ended up limiting me in that if I did miss or took more, everything was out the window insofar as planning.

Then a light, and some good shooters teaching me a little bit more, and I no longer think in arrays of 10. Just in arrays...some may be 6, some 8, some 5 depending on what follows after a set but there are a slew of places to reload on the move in most stages. I dump mags...which is why I carry 5 on me, plus the loading mag...

I am on my way out the door (so didn't read closely)...

Lots of shooters do this...

...if they plan to reload before going into an array, they will do so to stay on their plan...even if they just had to reload to finish the last array and have a mostly full magazine.

I count the shots needed subtract possible misses (hard shots) at each station and go for it. If I miss more that expected I know to drop the mag earlier in the stage. I load up on mags and don't worry about leaving any rounds in the mags that I drop. After a while competing you almost get a feeling like "wow I must be getting low, it's time for a reload". I usually shoot limited in IPSC so there is a big difference in the number of mag changes that I do and the number you will have to do. The key is practice... :rolleyes:

Jim

You should still plan on the mag change occuring during the transition between arrays. Always follow that plan no matter what. If you have to do a static reload because you run out of ammo shooting an array, you still want to perform another reload during the transition even if you only fired only one or two rounds out of that mag.

First of all, don't miss! It's the best way to avoid running out of ammo.

The strategy I use is ....I assume I'll have a couple misses on an array of 6 steel plates.

I will allot 8-9 rds of ammo to use on that specific array. So I guess I'm saying that I will assume I'll use 30% more ammo than needed.

Hitting only 70% If you don't, practice more accuracy under pressure stuff. If you hit all six plates with 6 rds, then reload anyway and get on to the next array.

This above strategy is only for steel, you can't afford to miss on paper.

I posted this to the IPSC list in response to a similar --- or maybe identical question:

I shoot mostly production as well. On some stages it's obvious --- shoot eight rounds through this port, move to the next one and shoot six rounds here, you'd obviously do a reload in between. Other times, in good freestyle courses it may not be that obvious. You may plan to shoot 8, 10, 9, and 7 for a 34 round course because that seems logical. The thing to remember is that as soon as thigs go seriously awry, you should do an unscheduled reload. Lets say that that second group of ten shots is two paper and two steel from one position, followed by two steps to two more papers and then a longer gap before the next array of nine shots. Planning to shoot ten and then use the longer break to reload --- some of us need all the time we can get for that ---- is a smart plan. Now lets say that as you execute it, you miss the first steel in that first group of six (out of the ten). You know that you can no longer shoot the ten shots without running the gun to slidelock (which might be bad for the next array of nine shots because it will leave you with a one round error margin instead of two) so as soon as you finish the six, reload during the two steps. Engage the two paper, and reload again heading into the nine round array. I don't try to count rounds anymore --- I need all my fingers for that and that pesky trigger finger just won't stay still --- instead I try to be aware of how many extra rounds I have in the gun and whether or not I'm using them. I shoot an eight round array with more than two misses and I know I'm going to run the gun dry, so it's time to reload....

Hope that helps...

You have to reload between arrays. If it's not so clear cut, then I plan a reload at a certain point that makes the most sense and stick to the plan. I figure 8 rounds between reloads, which gives me a cushion. The extras are available for emergency purposes. Most mags get dropped with 2 rounds in them.

[Amateur Night Mode ON] (Whoa, Uncle Vinny, I didn't mean it *that* way...)

rtr-

To start out, think simplicity. Stop counting. Stop strategizing.

As soon as you're done with an array and start to move - reload. Yes, this a pseudo-"tactical" way of doing it, hey just call me "DR"..., but it works. You'll always show up for the party with a full gun. The key to surviving L10 and Production is mastering your reloads, so you'll need the practice anyway.

E