Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI SteelMaster

SimonM

I've been contemplating about purchasing this new STI model, but I have some questions in mind.

Have any of you got one or had a chance to try one out? I'm very interested how it felt etc.

It's been described on the STI's webpage as 9 mm Minor, but has anyone pushed it to major pf? Can the lightened slide etc. take it? Will the recoilmaster slow the slide enough so that the magazines can keep up and the pistol will work 100%?

I've read that some guys loaded their shorter STI Stingers (9 mm) to major using Vihtavuori powders and there are lots of 9 mm shortys around so...?

Earlier I was about to buy a Stinger or a Trubor, but passed on those. I like the size and weight of this new SteelMaster (on paper, haven't handled the thing), since it's so close to my iron sighted pistols. It also looks very cool ;)

My main use for the gun would be steel shooting and just using it as a training aid, but it would be nice to be able to run it competitively in an open division once in a while.

A pistol from a gunsmith isn't an option for me right now, so I'll be looking at this model only.

Thank you!

Got my steel master today....That gun is not made for 9mm major, very light recoil spring and light slide.....I would not try it! On the other hand I love the gun and it only has a few rounds though it as of now!

Thanks for the responses guys!

I e-mailed STI and asked the same questions from them. Let's see what they reply.

Mark:

I'd like to hear more about your pistol. How does it feel compared to other open pistols; how does the dot track, is the comp effective with factory ammo (pf about 130 or so) etc.?

It would be interesting to know the weight of the slide also. My VIP .45 has quite a bit lighter slide than my Edge .40 and there is a noticeable difference between the two recoilmasters even though both are heavy; the one in the Edge feels light compared to the one in the VIP (of course it has to since it must slow down that short slide). I'm thinking that if the STI has a heavier RM available for the SteelMaster, which could be used when firing 9 mm major loads.

What lenght is the recoilmaster in your Steelmaster? If you are able to compare it to the ones found in fullsize guns that would be great. What I can tell from the pictures it looks like it's pretty close; however I don't know if the recoil spring plug is interchangeable SteelMaster vs. Edge for example.

If there's anyone else who has experience or comments about this model, please share!

BTW, if I remember correctly it was Bob from Brazos Custom who wrote that he was one of those suggesting STI to build this specific pistol. I'm not 100% sure, but I think so. It would be great to find out what he thinks about the finished product.

Simo

I emailed STI the other day about running 9mm major in this and hear is the reply.

"The SteelMaster is tuned to function with 9mm minor (factory ammo). The components will work and function with major loads, however particular care would be needed with the recoil and extraction systems. This would have to be done outside the factory and would most likely negate the warranty.

Jay"

Thanks Jadepanther,

I'll probably get a similar answer sometime in the near future from the STI. I understand the heavier recoil spring, but what about the extraction? Does it need longer / shorter ejector or...?

Well, if I decide to get one it'll be for training, steel and shooting some open matches for fun (minor). It sounds like too much of a hazzle to go through to tune it to work with major ammo, especially since it's not the main reason for me to get one. If I want a dedicated open blaster I'll probably have to get one later on...

Thanks Jadepanther,

I'll probably get a similar answer sometime in the near future from the STI. I understand the heavier recoil spring, but what about the extraction? Does it need longer / shorter ejector or...?

Well, if I decide to get one it'll be for training, steel and shooting some open matches for fun (minor). It sounds like too much of a hazzle to go through to tune it to work with major ammo, especially since it's not the main reason for me to get one. If I want a dedicated open blaster I'll probably have to get one later on...

There shouldn't be any change needed for it to extract properly.

Right now Dawson is listing the Steelmaster for $2375. For just a bit more you can get a good smith to build you a gun that would work equally well for steel or USPSA with probably nothing more than a change in recoil spring and a sight correction. Most steel guns are pretty much just short, light Open guns and if I recall correctly even a bunch of the very best use their normal Open guns for steel. If you really wanted to game it you could get the smith to fit one barrel/comp for major ammo and then another with a different comp for minor ammo, but that's really going overboard unless you're really, really good. R,

Thanks for the responses guys!

I e-mailed STI and asked the same questions from them. Let's see what they reply.

Mark:

I'd like to hear more about your pistol. How does it feel compared to other open pistols; how does the dot track, is the comp effective with factory ammo (pf about 130 or so) etc.?

It would be interesting to know the weight of the slide also. My VIP .45 has quite a bit lighter slide than my Edge .40 and there is a noticeable difference between the two recoilmasters even though both are heavy; the one in the Edge feels light compared to the one in the VIP (of course it has to since it must slow down that short slide). I'm thinking that if the STI has a heavier RM available for the SteelMaster, which could be used when firing 9 mm major loads.

What lenght is the recoilmaster in your Steelmaster? If you are able to compare it to the ones found in fullsize guns that would be great. What I can tell from the pictures it looks like it's pretty close; however I don't know if the recoil spring plug is interchangeable SteelMaster vs. Edge for example.

If there's anyone else who has experience or comments about this model, please share!

BTW, if I remember correctly it was Bob from Brazos Custom who wrote that he was one of those suggesting STI to build this specific pistol. I'm not 100% sure, but I think so. It would be great to find out what he thinks about the finished product.

Simo

I think it turned out pretty good. It is designed around shooting WWB 9mm and I would stick with that. Gun weighs in at a little over 39 oz., the slide weighs 9.4oz and it uses a 5 inch light recoilmaster for the bull barrel (full length plug). I think a heavy recoilmaster would be too heavy even with major loads (but I have not tried it). And of course we have them in stock http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/sti_steelmaster.htm

Feel free to call if you have more questions.

Thank you!

As always, I've gotten excellent information from you guys.

Bob: That's great that you took the time to answer and give such an accurate description of the pistol. I've seen a couple of your pistols in Equador and in the hands of some Norwegian shooters here in Finland and I'd like nothing more than to get one (or two) of your masterpieces, but the STI route is the easiest option for me right now. I live in Finland and it's convenient for me to get a factory STI from the Finnish importer.

There aren't really any skilled 1911/2011-gunsmiths active in Finland who could build good guns, at least for sale. The people that used to build a few per year are now doing repairs and some minor tweaking if needed. Plus there isn't anyone importing any custom or semicustom 2011-type raceguns. I wish there was... Even SVI guns aren't sold in Finland anymore; maybe it's due to long lead times or something like that.

The options we have around here, for standard and open class, are basically factory produced guns, such as STI, Tanfoglio, Sphinx and CZ. I like the STI best and have had fair deals from the importer before.

The SteelMaster is advertised as having very little muzzle flip. Is it so? I've tried a couple of 9mm open guns and they didn't seem too flat with 9mm minor ammo since there wasn't much gas for the comp to work with. I know this isn't such a big deal when you're using it to shoot only one shot per target as in steel shooting. But if one wants to train or shoot IPSC for fun with it, then it matters.

If anyone decides to try their SteelMasters with a heavy recoilmaster using major ammo, I'm all ears.

are you prohibited from importing guns in Finland?

I just imported a Bedell Custom with the aid of www.simpsonltd.com

you can also check with www.etssincusa.com

All you need is an import permit, a certified copy of it, a translation to english of it, a DSP-83 (form can be downloaded, takes 2 mins to fill out) and a purchase order to the exporter which they can provide you a blank example of.

It costs around 5-600 USD for the export permit and shipping. With todays $/€ exchange rate, you'll probably find its not bad at all compared to buying an Sti at home.

My Bedell comes in around the same price as a stock Trubor...

I have a Benny Hill built major 9 that has a very light slide and a 10lb spring. If I want to shoot minor I just put an 8lb spring in it; however, it runs fine with the 10lb, I just like how it recoils beter with the 8lb spring.

• 2 months later...

Well, after careful consideration I ordered the SteelMaster! I'm not slow, it took only two months to think it over :wacko:

I thought about getting a Trubor or a GrandMaster, but ended up with the SteelMaster. The main use for the gun will be training/steel shooting, so I can live with it even if it doesn't make major.

MarkS,

what are your impressions after you've had the pistol for a while; reliability etc.? Have you tried any say 140-150 pf (or more) rounds in the gun?

I'm very interested to if anyone else wants to share their experiences with this pistol. I haven't found just about anything more on this pistol except from you guys on BE forum. It's been out for a while so I'm hoping to hear something. M1911.org is about to review, but not sure when...

Simon

Getting the gun ready for this weekend at Shreveport, La. I have put about 400 rounds through the gun and No problems. I have found a load it really likes 4.3 of N320 with a 115RN zero. Like shooting a 22!!!! Also had a trigger job done!

Thanks Mark!

Good to hear that the pistol is running great! The N320 is the powder I've been using to load 9mm, .40 and .45, so I'm hoping to find a good load for the SteelMaster by using the same stuff. Since Vihtavuori powders are made in Finland they are a natural choice for us, plus pretty much everything else is more expensive around here than VV.

Please keep me informed what kind of velocities you get if you chrono your loads.

BTW, is it a steel match you're going to shoot with your SteelMaster or..?

• 5 months later...

It was a long wait, but I got my SteelMaster just a couple of days before christmas. Couldn't resist the urge and I opened the package immediately...The pistol was just about what I had hoped for; the balance is very good, it's fitted nicely and looks very cool :cheers:

I've shot it only three times (300 rounds total) and it has functioned quite nicely with both factory Magtech 124gr and my own very soft minor pf reloads. Only the first time I was shooting it, a case got stuck between the slide and the mount, but after that I haven't encountered any issues. The SteelMaster behaves very much like many other open pistols with less blast and noise. My friend who has competed a few years with a SVI .38 super also tried my pistol and liked how it handled; good balance, shoots pretty flat etc.

The pistol throws the empties very close when using my 135 pf reloads, so I'm likely to try about 140 - 145 pf loads later on and see how it behaves. I also want to shoot it side by side with a major open gun so that I can make a fair comparison on how it feels like.

My best groups have been about 1,5" at 25 meters using cheap Magtech ammo, so I'm satisfied with the pistol's accuracy as well.

Simo

It was a long wait, but I got my SteelMaster just a couple of days before christmas. Couldn't resist the urge and I opened the package immediately...The pistol was just about what I had hoped for; the balance is very good, it's fitted nicely and looks very cool :cheers:

I've shot it only three times (300 rounds total) and it has functioned quite nicely with both factory Magtech 124gr and my own very soft minor pf reloads.

The pistol throws the empties very close when using my 135 pf reloads, so I'm likely to try about 140 - 145 pf loads later on and see how it behaves. I also want to shoot it side by side with a major open gun so that I can make a fair comparison on how it feels like.

Simo

First what Santa Claus said that you opened it too early? :rolleyes:

Second it will lose up when you shoot it more. So empties propably will fly little longer.

Third what recoil spring you use?

I use in my short open gun wolff variable power recoil spring 6 Lbs (I think it is lighter one what they have).

I have made shorter recoil roid plug so 6lbs acts like 7 lbs in my short gun. I use 7 lbs. when I shoot major and it acts 8lbs in my short gun.

I use 8lbs in my normal length open gun. When I use my normal open gun for minor 9mm I use 6lbs and I take racker off so slide weights less (little over 10 oz.)

Pistol throws the empties longer if you use ligher recoil spring.

I don't like to idea to use more powerful ammos when you have minor gun. You want ligher recoil for minor gun so you can shoot faster.

I hope this helped for you and let me know how you solve the problem.

Tsygä,

the SteelMaster has a light recoilmaster spring assembly in it. It feels quite nice, so I'm not going to change that for a while anyway. The loads that I'm thinking about trying aren't exactly that much more powerful than the ones I've been using now and I'll be shooting the real minor level loads in it at first in order to break it in. I have no intention in damaging the gun by shooting too heavy loads, especially when I'm using the original light recoilmaster. As you stated, with a heavier recoil spring the situation might be a bit different.

I just need to get used to the pistol a lot more in general; I haven't been shooting with a dot that much...

• 2 years later...

I Purchased a Steelmaster from a dealer/gunsmith up north and he and another shooter use major loads in IPSC matches. He uses a 9# spring and a heavier recoil guide rod, which will handle power factors (IPSC) from 126 to 172. Since the open power facor is 160, all you need to do is find a factory round which will shoot in the mid 160's. I am checking out Belloit and Sellors facory ammo in a 147 grain to see if it chronos major. There is also a 127 gr Winchester +P round that will make major, but we cannot get it in Canada. The gun will handle the loads. The northern guys have been shooting major since they got their guns - almost 2 years and no breakdown yet

Three of the local guys run SteelMasters, each has tried shooting major, the gun will do it but its not a plesant expierence and each has gone back to minor. Get a Match Master, make sure you get the bigger comp. I've shot their SteelMasters with minor and my major loads, the steel master has more flip with minor loads than my full size gun has with 170 pf (9 Major). I've also shot the Match Master, its go a bit more flip than a good full size gun but in compares well with other shorty guns I have shot. IMHO

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread. could you put a new barrel or new comp on the steel master, one that is made for an open gun. would that help with muzzle flip and the issue of it not being made for major.

i am thinking of having an open gun built. what are the biggest differences between shorties and full length open guns.