Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you think about trying UMC 55gr

lucas

Loading 223 now is not a option because of my IPSC pistol loading budget.Was using BH 69,but almost out cant find ,and if I could cant afford.

Thinking for local matches with 9" flash targets out to 300yds ;That maybe cheaper UMC will be okay.Whats your thoughts on getting by with this stuff for now.

Loading 223 now is not a option because of my IPSC pistol loading budget.Was using BH 69,but almost out cant find ,and if I could cant afford.

Thinking for local matches with 9" flash targets out to 300yds ;That maybe cheaper UMC will be okay.Whats your thoughts on getting by with this stuff for now.

Think the answer to your question really depends on your individual rifle and how much it "likes" that particular type of ammo. I've been able to get 1 to 1.5 MOA out of most factory ammo that I've shot, but if you consider a 9" target at 300 yards, even shooting 1.5 MOA will only give you 4.5 inches of "wiggle room" at that distance. Best advice I could give is to get a couple boxes and try it out in your rifle to check your accuracy and drop at that distance. My guess is that it'll probably work OK - plus you can use the money you save to practice more! ;)

Good luck, 9" anything at 300 yards. Is not every day out of the box, results? At least not in my experience, For 3 gun. You are going to have to do your shopping, back in the day that Win White box, 55gr from Israel worked well, But I have not been able to find any of that, I load 55 gr, cheap in mixed brass, for anything 100 or less, and load, that better bullets, 60 Gr V max. Or 69 Nosler for any shooting out past that,

I don’t know of any cheap, ammo that holds out past 150.

I hope others might know,

Jim M ammo

+1 on finding something your rifle likes. I have an old 16" bushmaster that ran winchester whitebox great. 1 inch for factory ammo is plenty bueno in my book. I've run it out to 400 yards before, 400's a little tough but 300 was not much problem at all. Same rifle though hated 69 gr SMK. I have another that is a little higher end and shoots much better, but I'm not as comfortable with it yet. I know exactly what that little bushmaster would do. As long as you get consistent performance and halfway acceptable groups I think you'll be fine.

I guess the important question is what do you consider CHEAP????

I've been able to get reliable hits out to 400 with WOLF 62gr. ammo, now I consider that to be cheap ammo.

the targets have been 6" at 100, 8" at 200, and 10-12" at 300, 12-15" at 400. those sizes are normal for most matches as well.

I am unfamiliar with UMC accuracy performance in any guns, what does 500 or a 1000 cost.

BTW, some of the most accurate ammo I've shot recently that is in my opinion very reasonable in cost is PPU, both 5.56 and 7.62 have been very accurate.

Trapr

How does UMC 55 gr. perform in YOUR rig? Even at 2" moa, it would still be ok for 3 gunning. I'd say if you can find it cheap, use it. I'm with Trapr, Wolf is good enough to shoot out to 300 so if I'm looking for loaded ammo really "cheap" by today's std., I'd buy it.

Edited by PacMan