Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting a conversation

AikiDale

It occurred to me to how very nice it is to be able to begin a conversation with someone by asking, what did you write, or what did you build, or what did you invent or what did you discover today rather than having to ask what did you watch on TV last night.

Real conversation is cool. But few conversations are real. Most are about either daily tasks (I'm here, doing this, planning that), are about meaningless fodder (fantasy football, weather, etc) or are covert ego strokes (any sentence containing the word "I" followed by a flattering scenario). Most of the conversations I've shared with fellow BE'rs have been real I'm happy to say! :cheers:

My local buddies might say things like, "Did you see The First 48 or American Jail last night...? :D

Or even MORE locally, they'll say, "Did you see the county commissioners' meeting last night?!?!?! (local community access channel--currently broadcasting the inter-agency budget meetings, discussing (among other things) the 30% shutdown of the Sheriff's Office and Corrections. A disaster. Mega loss of jobs, crime in the streets, etc. A veritable doomsday scenario for Public Safety issues/people in our community.) :unsure:

Other than that, I watch Battlestar Galactica for entertainment. B)

I hate to waste my time sitting in front of the TV but am occasionally drawn in by a program. Most of them are on the discovery or history channels but every once in a while, a program like "Hero's" will grab my attention.

I'd rather be reading a book, working on a project or reading the new post on BE.

FWIW

dj

I read one time about identifying your time. you spend time on some things and other things that wast time.

Spend time with your friend at the range improving your accuracy.

Wast time watching a rerun of a TV program.

Time cost the same no mater how it is spent or wasted. I found that Idea to be interesting,

I am so bad lately that I DVR the 3 or 4 shows I actually like to watch because I can't afford the time the commercials take. Half hour shooting show? 17 minutes on DVR. One hour series show, 36-46 minutes on DVR. I have stuff from early March stored that I haven't had time to watch. Good thing I can type as fast as I can talk or I wouldn't be able to spend much if any time here!!

When I enter a conversation with a person I ask "what do you do for fun"? Nine times out of ten I am answered with a blank stare and no reply for about ten seconds. You can see the wheels turning as they realize that they do nothing for fun. How sad!

CYa,

Pat

I just had 2 really nice conversations with relatively new shooters about 3 gunning and equipment, and practice and what they can expect at big matches and such. We spoke for about 30 to 40 minutes each.

I have on occasion received calls from people I've never met in person and know only from this forum by their forum alias, and I really enjoy helping these folks out. I would also invite them to go up and ask anybody a question when they are at a match no matter who that person may be, one thing I learned early on was that by and large we as shooters are willing to assist any interested person.

trapr