Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions Wanted

Paul Burtchell

I currently have a 550B set up for 40S&W. I shoot about 1000-1500 rounds per month. This is my setup for Limited. I also started shooting single stack again in 45ACP and my son-in-law shoots 45 as well. We want to start reloading for 45.

I'm trying to decide if I would best be served by a caliber conversion, dies, quick change kit etc. for my 550, which would run just over $200 or should I get a Square Deal B setup for the 45?? We will probably be cranking off about 1000 to 1500 rounds per month on it as well.

It's just kind of a pain to switch back and forth and thought it might be nice to have 2 dedicated presses. I can't really afford to go another 550 at this time.

Thoughts??

Edited by baerburtchell

I've gota SDB now, and when I have the money I'm getting a 650. My plan is the 650 will be set up with all my small pistol primer stuff, and the SDB will be for 45acp and 10mm. I've always been happy with my SDB.

~Mitch

I don't understand why everyone complains about changing the primer system on the 550B. I am tickled to sell a second 550 to folks,

but honestly, it takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes tops to switch primer sizes. :rolleyes:

Yes but that's 2 or 3 min. I could be cranking out ammo. Just joking. I would love to have 2 presses but only have ceiling height for 550 bench space for one press.

Richard

PS: It's a converted 440

CHECK OUT THE CLASSIFIED SECTION. THERE IS A SDB IN .45 FOR SALE.

Edited by chirpy

I don't understand why everyone complains about changing the primer system on the 550B. I am tickled to sell a second 550 to folks,

but honestly, it takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes tops to switch primer sizes. :rolleyes:

So you think I should just start doing the primer and caliber changeovers and get rid of the other 9 presses...?

If you have room I would get the SDB, I too hate changing primer, and I sure cant do it in 2 to 3 minutes, plus I usuall have the primer tubes half full so I have to empty those which usually spill. Then however long it does take you have to multiply by 2 to change it back. I was thinking of setting up a SDB for 40 then using my 550 for everything else. I just dont like giving up my 4th station Lee FCD.

I have two SDBs, one set-up for 9 the other 40. You always have spare parts if something goes wrong, and it only takes about 5 seconds to move the chair to the other machine. If I only had one I would be changing things constsantly. I have to change things enough as it is, switching different weight or style bullets because one is cheaper for practice or better for matches. Get the SDB. Your son-in-law may want to load 45 when you just switched over to 40.

Hello: Buy a SDB for your 45. The Square Deal is great for loading 9mm and 45acp. Not so great for 40 with Glocked brass. Once you get the Square Deal running you will then want to buy a 650 or RL 1050. I went from the SDB straight to the RL1050. I wish I still had that SDB sometimes in 45. The change over is not bad at all on any of the Dillon presses I have used (SDB, RL1050). I usually do the change over and cleanup at the same time. No go find a SDB! Thanks, Eric

Some of us are mechanically challenged. I'd really like to live in Scottsdale, have a 1050 in each caliber I shoot, and invite you over for a beer and a steak on the grill once in a while, as in whenever I've screwed up the press again and haven't a clue whats wrong with it. B)

Yes but that's 2 or 3 min. I could be cranking out ammo. Just joking. I would love to have 2 presses but only have ceiling height for 550 bench space for one press.

Richard

PS: It's a converted 440

CHECK OUT THE CLASSIFIED SECTION. THERE IS A SDB IN .45 FOR SALE.

Thanks for the lead, I had not seen it listed.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Ya'll confirmed my thoughts. It will be nice to have 2 dedicated presses and not mess with all the changing back and forth.

I used to have the 45 caliber setup as well as the 40 for my 550B and sold it here on the forum along with a 9mm setup to help finance a gun purchase. Of course another gun comes along in 45 and then my son-in law starts to shoot 45.

I thought I was the only one that thought switching primers systems was a PITA. I just thought I was mechanically challenged or something.

Lots of good reasons given for having two separate presses. Thanks for the opinions :cheers:

Edited by baerburtchell