Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source for aluminum single stack frame

stockton

I don't know if Essex still makes an 'alloy' frame but I have built a pile of them for carry guns. It isn't a high mileage frame, but none of them are. If you don't want to spend a ton of money and want a reasonable quality frame at a reasonable price check and see if Essex still makes them. I never took one past 20K rounds, but it was doing fine when I sold it.

I know you were looking for frame only, but if you are looking for a alloy frame to shoot the heck out of it, S&W 1911PD line is a scandium alloy that is claimed to be far suprior to other aluminum alloys. They are in my opinion quite reasonable also for a complete gun.

A friend and I had parts guns built up on the AR Sales aluminum frames. They eventually shot OK but took extra work to get everything to fit, versus Essex or Caspian. I would not want to pound one with high volume match shooting. I don't know if Essex actually made aluminum frames, we ordered our aluminum frames from Essex and got AR Sales.

The Fusion looks nice.

I wish somebody would determine to wear out a Scandium S&W just to see how well it holds up.

Michale Bane over on Downrange.tv toured Wilson and showed of an alloy frame (I think). Can't find one on his site but you might get in touch with them. They make a quality read $$$$$ product. Keep us informed sounds like an interesting project. Good luck.

Richard

Edited by chirpy