Thanks Dad

:cheers:

Date: 19 April 2009

-Type of event: USPSA match.

-Time: 0830-1230

-Range Conditions: Warm, dry.

-Training partners: Match Participants.

-Gun used: 6" STI 2011 40 cal

-Ammo shot: 150 rounds, 165gr. MG JHP, match-grade ammo.

-General feeling in session: I felt somewhat ill before I left for the match, but I was determined to attend, regardless. When I arrived, I felt alright, not especially upset, and not especially calm. Once we started shooting, I felt much better; the stress of shooting calms me down now.

-Focus of the Sesson: I was hoping to make progress in the areas of consistency and relaxation/match mentality techniques.

-Content of the session: There were 5 stages and a classifier (CM 99-27 Lefty's Revenge) Two of the stages were built around shoot-houses.

-New things learned: I realized that over-analyzing stages can really hurt. If it looks/feels good the first time, it's probably just fine.

-Experimentation: I didn't really push the envelope too much today.

-What I want to work on more: I would like to shoot much more consistent matches. My varying performances between stages severly impacts my match score.

-What I did best today: I was extremely smooth and accurate on some stages. I also shot well on the classifier.

-Goal statement: I am the 2009 US Junior National Champion.

Results: 19Apr09 Sage Pistol League USPSA Results

Edited by little_kahuna

• 2 weeks later...

Date: 25-26 April 2009

-Time: 0830-1230

-Range Conditions: Warm, dry, slight breeze.

-Ammo shot: 250 rounds, 165gr. MG JHP, match-grade ammo.

-General feeling in session: I was a little bit ill during the match, but it wasn't a big factor. The area and conditions were perfect. I felt relaxed my first stage, and despite some incosistency issues, i felt like i did alright. It was certainly not my potential though. Limited overall was within my grasp, i had just not mentally prepared well enough.

-Focus of the Sesson: The goal of this session was not to try, to simply perform, and to let the scores end however, with no conscious though attached. To perform at my psychological potential, letting it all go.

-Content of the session: I shot 8 very straightforward, real, skills test types of stages. There was a respectable amount of steel and moving targest. Some were very fast, but none were especially slow. It was the type of match that you could just shoot.

-New things learned: I learned that mental tampering during a match is detrimental to your performance. Also, overthinking mistakes or feats hurts you. If you try and analyze the problem you are experience on the spot, it will likely end worse than it started.

-Experimentation: I had no goal of changing or altering my shooting in any way, other than to simply perform, completely detached from conscious thought.

-What I want to work on more: I would like to shoot more matches with an empty mind, by simply being aware of what happens, and allowing my body to perform in the way it has been conditioned. When I do that, I win.

-What I did best today: I had experiences like the one listed above, where I won two stages in limited, but it wasn't consistend on a match-wide basis. I was extremely smooth, accurate, and fast on some stages. My body has the potential to perform at the highest level, i am just detaching my mind from my body... simply...aware...

-Goal statement: I am the 2009 US Junior National Champion.

Results:

2009 NorCal Sectional: Golden Bullet Match Results

It was a cool match, i got to meet some more rudy guys! and i had a lot of fun. I paid Taran back for a mag that he gave me, costing $150, and i was awarded $148 for my order of finish. :roflol:

Nick - I am very impressed with your speed. After RO'ing you on Stage 2, I understand why you have achieved what you have at your age. Too, like we talked about, some of the mental things we both need to work on are:

- Trust your speed. Believe that our comfortable speed is fast and that it is fast enough. Trying to go fast creates opportunities for the conscious mind to kick in and be critical or judgemental making us either slow or make mistakes because it detracts from the unconscious.

- Don't overthink; just shoot. Kind of the same as above, but different like we talked about. We saw that this match was a points match. While I didn't go as fast as a lot of folks, my points more than made up for that and did okay with a Top 16.

You're a great competitor and have a huge future. For those that don't know, this kid is scary fast. You can tell whatever sports you play or physical training you're doing is paying off. I think if you just shot your speed or even wratcheted down a gear you'd be suprised at the results. It's like Burkett says. In practice push to 110, 120, 130%. But at matches you shoot at 85-90%.

Great meeting you and the family! I can't make Silver Buckle, but don't be suprised if we come down for a club match.

Rich

Rich is spot on about speed, what happened to me at GBC is a first hand proof. First half of the match I shot at a comfortable pace and did okay on points but clean. After seeing the results during lunch break I decided to kick it up a notch and it's all downhill from there. I started overthinking and again, started putting too much pressure on myself. Picked up mikes on the next two stages and just burned down on the last stage trying to redeem myself. What did I get from it? A learning experience.

Having that skill set at such young age you are destined to be a GM, no doubt about that. It was nice meeting you and I'm sure we'll be shooting matches together. :cheers:

Edited by norbs007

Thanks guys. I get can get out of control, and I'm really going to focus on that "trust your speed" concept. I've heard it from enough people now I think I should try it hahaha :lol: I am not stopping till GM, and these concepts are the types of things that I think will really help "push me over the edge."

Ok, Practice goals:

• Shoot while calm
    trust natural speed
    detatch conscious mind from unconscious shooting skills
    change nothing during a match, shoot consistently

I am diggin this input guys, thanks! :bow:

It helps clarify goals/areas for improvement, because it's hard to watch myself shoot while I'm shooting.

I hope to shoot more matches with you guys so that you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. :P

Before you make that drive, I just wanna let you guys know... there is a grand total of about 13 shooters per monthly match here... yeah... we are cool... B)

Definitely :D

I love shooting Norco, call me a hoser but... I like being able to shoot local matches with guys like Taran, Mike V., Dave Cutts etc. I think I learn a lot (conceptually) just watching and seeing people shoot.

It's a great local match with like +95 shooters every weekend.

Date: 2 May 2009

-Time: 0830-1200

-Range Conditions: Cool, overcast, slight breeze.

-Gun used: 5" Open gun, Courtesy of Theo Carter.

-Ammo shot: 9mm Major (unknown specifics)

-General feeling in session: Being my first real (I shot a classifier) match in open, it was not bad. Due to my lack of experience with using an optic, it took time to get accustomed to that. I felt rather comfortable, like it was easier to go faster, which made me perhaps more comfortable? Although that may not be the "right" perspective, that is how i felt. I felt more comfortable going at a greater pace, but I also had doubt in much of my shooting, most likely due to unfamiliarity with the operating system (dot). Taking my time/relaxing really helped to smooth out the learning curve. It was a lot of fun! lol.

-Focus of the Sesson: I wanted to give open a try for a whole match, and it was a great learning experience. When I "officially" switch to open, it will be a blast. After a couple sec of dryfire in the safe area, i could draw and pick up the dot without problem, but while shooting, it was very strange to call my shots. Calling shots with iron sights (multiple planes of focus) is very familiar, but it is very different calling shots with a dot, only moving on one plane. Taking the time to doubt myself while i was shooting was costly, but i knew no better, so, it's a learning experience. After discussing the shot-calling with Theo for a bit, i shot a stage without doubt, and all the hits were there and it was a respectable run (i think it was stage 5). I didn't cry too hard at the results, since i was "just learning" (but i guess i'm doing that all the time) lol.

-Content of the session: It was a 6 stage local match, no classifier. It was either lots of steel/weird angles, or complete hosing brutality. Whatever it was, it was way fun.

-New things learned: I learned about picking up the dot (from the draw, as well as on returning shots/transitions). I also began figuring out how to trust the dot. It was said to me, "if the dot is on the target when you pulled the trigger, then that is where the hit is" It was foreign to me, coming from a (major pf) iron sighted division lol. Furthermore, I had to stop "driving" the gun around; it's an open gun, and i dont need to push it as if it actually recoils :roflol:

-Experimentation: I shot open, very fun, very fast. IMO, the biggest difference in switching from lim to open, is tracking/callin the shot, and (lack of/ unecessity to) follow through in the same way as iron sights. I re-shot some stages with my limited gun before they tore them down. I felt more comfortable, (due to amount of repetitions) and my comfort level was significantly higher w/ the limited gun. On a few stages, i actually made up a bunch of time w/ my lim gun, saving time on the calling shots/not doubting my vision.

-What I want to work on more: I'd like to give open a try a few more times, but i'm not ready to switch.

-What I did best today: I adapted rather well to a new division/platform.

-Goal statement: I am the High Junior at 2009 Limited and Open Nationals

Notes:

I'd like to thank Theo Carter for letting me shoot his open gun/ammo. It was a great experience and i cant wait till i can compete with my own gun. Thanks bro.

Results:

Norco Running Gun/Gen-X IPSC 2 May 09 USPSA Match Results

To hell with the shooting. Is that you on the bench?

Of course it is Rich... Didn't you get a gander at these guns when you RO'd me?

*pfft* nah, man. That ain't me. :closedeyes:

Oh wait, I meant, yeah, that's me... goin light. :surprise:

:roflol:

Heck dude. I just got my bench back in line. I am up to 400# for 10 reps as fast I can. However when we do "sprint reps", I'm like you and doing it with 225.

Rich

Lol, that really wasn't me. I actually haven't done bench in a while. :wacko:

nick:

looks good, there are a couple of points where you got sucked it to a position, and weren't able to flow threw or explode out of.

Yeah, i saw those parts. I'm working on the smoothness factor, especially in movement. I'll be uploading a lot more video to more effectively track my progress. :lol:

Dude, I got to get to practicing if I'm going to have to have a chance to beat you.

Ya, I saw that other dude benching, frickin impressive. I can put the 225 up once, its my max. I have surpassed the 320 mark for squat though. Football is right around the corner...

See ya, at the Pro-am Nick

Thanks Everyone!

I'm pretty excited, but I try not to worry about the card. In the end, the results will speak for themselves.

We've been preparing for the Silver Buckle, it will be this weekend.

Date: 17 May 2009

-Type of event: USPSA practice.

-Time: 1330-1530

-Range Conditions: Hot (106 Degrees F), dry.

-Training partners: None.

-Ammo shot: 250 rounds, 170gr. Moly practice ammo.

-General feeling in session: Despite the heat, i felt rather comfortable. Just shooting for the sake of neuro-physical re-enlightenment.

-Focus of the Sesson: I wanted nothing more than to squeeze the trigger and remind my body what it felt like, remind my eyes what it looked like. Although I practice all day long every day sitting around on my bum at home, I just emptied my mind to truly observe what was going on. I also worked on settling on steel after moving, and shooting steel while moving.

-Content of the session: I just shot on some misc. steel plates/squares and sihlouettes that were on a practice bay.

-New things learned: I learned that when there are other conditions (such as heat) you cannot allow the conscious thought to impact your shooting whatsoever. To simply fall back on your conditioning and body awareness is the best option.

-Experimentation: I didn't experiment or try new things.

-What I want to work on more: I would like to continue to do the following: Empty my mind, allow my psyche be aware while my body is shooting. To observe what is happening, unobscured by mental activity.

-What I did best today: I still shot my gun well, smoothly and rather accurately, even though the slide was too hot to touch. I burned my thumbs, but still kept calm and continued practice through the harsh conditions.

-Goal statement: I am the High Junior at 2009 Limited and Open Nationals.

I really enjoy the way I wrote the statements regarding mentality in the "Focus of the Session" and the "What I want to Work on more" sections. Hopefully I can make this a habit of every practice. Then i will really be able to learn at maximum efficiency. Trying to follow in the footsteps of Brian E. by not trying...

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Date: 22 May 2009

-Type of event: 2009 Silver Buckle, USPSA Match (level II equivalent).

-Time: 730-1430

-Range Conditions: Hot (+95 Degrees F), dry.

-Training partners: Match Staff/Participants.

-Ammo shot: 150 rounds, 165gr. MG JHP, match-grade ammo.

-General feeling in session: I was tired from working on the match all week. I'd ben at the range every day for about 6 hours or more since the previous sunday setting up and working etc. Despite the exhaustion, I was rather relaxed, accepting, calm, and prepared to enjoy the shooting.

-Focus of the Sesson: I wanted to put all my practiced skills to the test, relax, and perform without pushing the limits, but simply delivering realistic results, based on my level/amount of training and practice.

-Content of the session: It was a 10-stage match, consisting of many high-round-count stages, and a few smaller/faster ones. There were many cool props, including bobbers, swingers, sliders, and lots of steel. It was not an easy or overly-complicated match. The stages tested your shooting ability.

-New things learned: I learned more about what I can expect in any given match performance as I progress. I slipped up a few times, made a few mistakes, and corrected them to the best of my ability. After coming back from a sub-par first stage, I didn't push myself to "make up for lost score" like I had done in the past. Out of ten stages, one bad stage cannot be fixed by nine fantastic ones, because if you try to fix the one with the nine, you will have 9 more bad stages.

-Experimentation: I experimented with some stage plans, but nothing fundamentally significant. My altered stage plans actually had a very positive effect on my match. I didn't necessarily follow the masses, by shooting a stage the same as everyone else, and in some ways that really helped me. Even when it didn't exactly improve my score, I didn't lose out too much by trying it a new way. Their plan doesn't always work for me, and my plans are tailored to the way I shoot.

-What I want to work on more: I'd like to work more on shooting a more consistent match. Despite the mostly acceptable stages, I had some mediocre ones. To bring all of them to the acceptable/satisfactory or above level is my goal. To have no one "bad" stage, or no one "amazing" stage, but all to be "solid."

-What I did best today: I felt great about my stage plans, and most of my exection was spot-on. I felt very solid, and ended up being very fast and accurate on some stages. Just about every skill I have practiced in dryfire was bulletproof, making for a foundation so that I could free up psychological resources to put towards other variables.

-Goal statement: I am the High Junior at 2009 Limited and Open Nationals *by placing in the Top 16*.

*adjusted: added to clarify and refine my goals

Match Results:

15th Annual Silver Buckle

Notes:

I believe that most of my errors were due to a clouded mind. Perhaps because I was a staff member, and I was working the match, that threw my game off a little, but that is no excuse, I simply did not perform as well as I'd have liked.

I came in Third Limited overall, and 2nd Master Limited. It was awesome to see good friends and shooters. Me and Rich (USCBigDawg) Ro'd a stage, and that was fun lol. Got to BS with a lot of cool people, as well as meet new ones, and play with a ton of sweet hardware. Thanks to Johnny Lim for letting me shoot his unbelievably hawt 40-9 Open gun lol (yeah the bright acryllic red and black one). Thanks to the other match staff for putting out, it was a great match, and it was a ton of work. Hope to see yall there next year!

:D

Edited by little_kahuna

• 3 weeks later...

After Action Report from the Pro-Am: I'm still travelling, but I'll briefly note some things.

I had a blast. Many thanks to the staff and Phil. It was great to see everyone, and to meet new people (especially other BEnos members :D)

In some ways, the match went much worse than expected for me. In others, it went much better. It's all good lol.

Immediately before leaving from California, my dad and I decided to cut 35 PF off my regular USPSA match load. This is a steel match, right? I'm accustomed to 173-175 PF, and we went down to 145-146 PF. I had one practice session on my home range with the new "light" ammo. Gun ran well, and I seemed to shoot it well enough. Zeroed the load to get POI to match POA at 60 yards. Well, my body acts a little different in homerange practice than in big away matches. On game day my physical timing was a little off, and the new zero had a lower POI than I was used to.

Since i've been practicing the "no mind" thing, during the match i reverted back to my conditioning, where my body was conditioned to react to 175 uncompensated PF, so when i wasn't actively thinking about it, all my returning shots were going low. I had to psychologically slow down and emphasize follow-through to get predictable hits with the lowered PF. It wasn't bad, it just made me use my brain, which i've been practicing not doing (in USPSA) lol. I was feeling better about it by my second stage... then the nightmarish sequence of events in my third stage happened... :roflol:

In my third stage (of 9), stage 6 (To shoot or not to shoot), i basically ruined my hand lol. It was the long range steel with the 35 yd run stage. While sprinting and picking up the ammo can, i nailed my weak hand (left) thumb on the handle, destroying the nail, and jamming it back down into my palm lol. It's a bit better now, but it was bleeding and immobile thorughout the match lol. Shot the rest of the match with my thumb wrapped in gauze and athletic tape. I didn't really notice the true damage until the last few stages though. It really costs me on my very last stage, where i planned a bunch of reloads, but just ended up dropping all my mags lol. It was fun anyway hahaha.

Coming in at about 24th in limited, 10th master, i wasn't too displeased, since all expectations went out the window in the middle of the match. hahaha

Results here: 2009 Pro-Am Limited Amateur Results

Lessons Learned:

Don't change stuff right before a match! I've read and heard this a million times but I still didn't apply it. In this case, I changed my ammo without sufficient practice to re-time myself to the load. Dumb, never again. I should have shot this match with Major PF ammo.

Have a good Risk Management posture! I could have forseen the possibility of getting injured while simultaneously sprinting and snatching up a static ammo can. I should have slowed down enough to get a firm, safe hold of the prop without getting injured.

It was righteous though, i had so much fun, and i even got a CRSpeed rig certificate, they say is worth like $350 :goof:

I'll finally be able to use mag pouches without rubber bands holding my mags in! whoohoo! :P

Adrian Sorah (#1 Pro Jr. shooter in the US, :bow: ) stayed with us, which was totally hilarious lol.

I'm hanging out with my aunt and uncle in Wyoming for a while to work and chill, but after i get back home to good ol' dusty hot Ridgecrest, CA, i'll post a detailed range diary.