Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB and glock brass

I am planning to purchase a SDB and I understand that I can not use any other dies but Dillon on a Square Deal B. My question is if I'm going to reload a 9mm brass shot from a Glock barrel with a SDB, will I have a problem as far as bulging brass for the unsupported part of the chamber? I've read that some people have to use undersize dies to get reliable feed from brasses shot though a glock barrel.

Edited by ruready

I run a RCBS press and pick up alot of .40 brass that has been through a glock to run in my Edge. I use a EGW U die.

I put in as the first stage in my press but I have friends that put it on a single stage press and do them one at a time.

Hope this helps :)

I am planning to purchase a SDB and I understand that I can not use any other dies but Dillon on a Square Deal B. My question is if I'm going to reload a 9mm brass shot from a Glock barrel with a SDB, will I have a problem as far as bulging brass for the unsupported part of the chamber? I've read that some people have to use undersize dies to get reliable feed from brasses shot though a glock barrel.

If you shoot a glock, or THE glock that produced the brass, then you will be fine.

If you are loading the brass shot from a glock to be used in something else, then you *might* have to resize the brass first..

I just started back reloading last year. I stopped before glocks were popular or as popular as they are now. I have had some problems with the bulge that unsupported barrels a la Glock impart on brass. I bought a EGW U die that I put on my Rock Chucker and run all range brass through before I run it through my SDB. Has solved all my problems with the Batlle of the Brass Bulge. But, it does add time to my reloading process. Hope that helps you,

JZ

I was concerned about the same thing when I was planning to start re-loading but opted for the SDB anyway. I think it all depends on the luck of the draw if your SDB dies will size down "belly brass" enough. I went ahead and bought a Lee single stage press (20.00) and the EGW undersize die (22.00) just in case but my SDB dies (.40 & 9mm) size all brass down enough to work in any gun whether I shoot my .40 STI or 9mm S&W, I guess I got lucky. I was told if your SDB dies don't do what you need send them back and they will be happy to replace them.

good luck

I guess others aren't understanding your question so I'll say to call Dillon and ask them. Their tech support is top notch and they will be able to help. Another suggestion would be to get the 550 (if possible) because it is just that much better.

Richard

If you're going to reload your own brass and shoot it in the same gun you shouldn't have a problem. If you're getting range brass it might be a problem. 9mm Glocks don't tend to be as bad about this as the .40s are.

One pet peeve....Glocks chambers are fully supported. The reason they cause the bulge is that the chamber is a bit oversized at the rear....the case is still supported, but it does expand a bit more because of it. R,

If you have a loose chambered barrel (e.g. factory Glock barrel), the SDB dies are probably fine for resizing bulged brass.

If you have a tight-chambered barrel (e.g. KKM, Bar-Sto, etc.), the SDB dies may not resize the glock-bulged cases enough to function reliably all the time.

If this worries you, I suggest you skip the SDB... spend a few extra $$ and get the 550 and an EGW die. Spray some One-Shot lube on your brass and go for it. Don't forget to chamber check your rounds before hitting the range.

Edited to correct my frakked up punctuation/grammer/spelling. Really, I am literate... I swear...

Edited by big_kahuna

I was doing great with my SDB using roll sized brass and fmj bullets. Started picking up brass after USPSA matches and was getting some not sizing down and locking up my gun. My options were gauge every round or resize as an extra step on a single stage press. Plus when I started loading lead, I started getting bullets not seating perfectly straight, which meant using a FCD in another step or gauging and pulling bullets. I gauge every match round, but just don't want to do all practice rounds or add a seperate step to reloading.

Ended up buying a 1050. Last step is FCD and have not had a round fail to chamber yet. Sold 1 SDB last week and will be selling the other soon. My advice is get any press that will use conventional dies. The 550 is only a little more money.

As always YMMV,

Rik

In our experience, 9mm from a Glock factory barrel has never been a problem. The sized brass should fit any 9mm barrel.

It is 40 S&W fired from a factory Glock barrel that can potentially be a problem. If the cases were fired in an unsupported chamber,

but are being reloaded for use in an aftermarket barrel, often the webbing of the cases are blown out beyond the point of a sizing die

being able to restore the case. But putting this brass back into a factory barrel should not present a problem. :ph34r:

I bought a used SDB a year or so ago, set up for 9mm. The original sizing die wasn't sizing the brass enough to chamber properly. I did some measuring, talked to Dillon, and they sent me a replacement 9mm sizing die that works perfectly.

If you end up having a problem with your loads not chambering, call Dillon and see about getting a replacement die.

Allan