Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to start?

JRDANIELS

My wife and I are interested in getting involved in the practical shooting sports. Where do we start? We are both experienced with firearms and shooting safety. We are located in Illinois. What gear do we need? What pistols would be best to get started with? What class to start with? Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Here is a Link to USPSA Area 5 Illinois Clubs. Click on it and you will get a list of contacts for IL clubs. Find one close to you and go to a match.

You will each need (or you can share but it is best to have your own) a handgun; a sturdy holster that covers the trigger guard, please avoid the cheap flimsy nylon one fits all type; enough magazines to carry approximately 40 rounds (maximum number of required rounds on a stage is 32 generally although many are half that); glasses to protect your eyes and hearing protectors; and a sturdy belt to hold the gun and magazines.

Then go have fun! From the link above you can get to the USPSA home page where you will find more information, the rules etc.

Welcome to the game,

Hello -

Welcome!! Less that a year ago, 09/2007, I was in the same fog bank as you and your wife. Let me add to you confusion...er, choices. I joined both USPSA/IPSC and IDPA. Both are available in south central Pennsylvania. Since I'm in the Super Senior category and, needless to say, not as fast as I use to be, I prefer IDPA but both are fun. For many of us, fun is first (after Safety, of course) and I left my competitive baggage on the golf course. You have the USPSA site URL and here is the IDPA. http://www.idpa.com/ This next URL gives a comparison between IPSC and IDPA. It was a help to me. http://www.craigcentral.com/idpaipsc.asp

Be safe, Have fun.

SouthCentral

Edited by SouthCentral

JR, check out both the USPSA and IDPA sites for rules and etc. They will give you information on equipment, classifications and etc. They also have club finder options with contact names. Call and visit and learn.

Welcome,

Richard

First, Welcome to the game. I think it very cool that both you and your wife want to do this together. Second, listen to AikiDale. Start out with simple gear. You don't need all that much to get started.

The one thing they all forgot to mention is that once you start, there is no going back...the addiction takes over and all your spare time and money will quickly disappear!

WELCOME!

I'm new as well and and brought my USP 9 to my first match and traded it for a 1911 for my second match. Shoot what you shoot good with and can afford. I'm on my third gun and next Sunday will only be my third match! Don't take anything I say as advise as I am new as well.

Welcome!

My wife and I are interested in getting involved in the practical shooting sports. Where do we start? We are both experienced with firearms and shooting safety. We are located in Illinois. What gear do we need? What pistols would be best to get started with? What class to start with? Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome.

AikiDale linked to Area 5 USPSA, go there and determine which group is closest to you. Get with one of those groups first - listen, watch, and learn.

As to gear, whatever you decide, keep it simple. What sort of pistols do you shoot right now? They might fill the bill nicely.

There is a lot of information on this board, just start reading a bit and take your time.

What gear do we need? What pistols would be best to get started with? What class to start with? Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks

How much do you want to spend? Which usually dictates what gun you may start with, which dictates what class you are in (specifically talking about USPSA)...

You can get up and running with a very decent setup in Production (plastic guns like Glock, XD, and M&P's; SA/DA guns like CZ's, Berretta's etc) for ~$700 with all new equipment. Shooting in Single Stack doesn't cost much more if you buy a bottom of the barrel ~$500 1911. Limited and Open really take a major price jump though (if you use the popular equipment) - unless you shoot a Production-type gun in Limited. I'm not up to snuff on the Revolver world...

If you have the time, you can always go spectate at a local match. That will give you a good idea of what folks are shooting and what the popular options are. It will also give you a much better idea of what the sport entails.

If you have the time, you can always go spectate at a local match. That will give you a good idea of what folks are shooting and what the popular options are. It will also give you a much better idea of what the sport entails.

+1

I think that knowing how to operate and compete with a pistol is the most fun one can have with their clothes on. I only wish my wife liked it at all nevermind as much as I do. Have fun and keep that lady happy. I hear that a spouse as a shooting buddy is a good thing except when you're doing all the reloading.

Although there could be bargaining room there... :devil:

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome JR. I am in Il too. Depending on where you are, we might be shooting together.

Send me a PM with your location and I can make some suggestions as to clubs.

Ditto. Send me your info. I'm in Grayslake, which is north of Chicago.

I'm also quite new to this. Last fall a club in southern Wisconsin had an "intro to practical shooting" class. It was very useful.

Gun choice can be personal. I like my S&W M&P. See if you can't find a place to rent a few and buy what you like.