Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sps mags

gunracer38

I was at match today. My Bedlell 38 Super jammed with three mags. When I changed each mag after it jammed again.I saw the rounds nose downed. Each mag started jamming after 7-8 rounds. The bullets were

1.260. The mags were SPS with Grams followers and springs. They were also tuned by Dan Bedell for the pistol. Does anyone know why they nose down?

I was at match today. My Bedlell 38 Super jammed with three mags. When I changed each mag after it jammed again.I saw the rounds nose downed. Each mag started jamming after 7-8 rounds. The bullets were

1.260. The mags were SPS with Grams followers and springs. They were also tuned by Dan Bedell for the pistol. Does anyone know why they nose down?

I'd call Dan tomorrow, but I bet your OAL is to long if the rounds are nose down. I found the SPS limited mags require 1.185 or less.

I'd call Dan tomorrow, but I bet your OAL is to long if the rounds are nose down. I found the SPS limited mags require 1.185 or less.

I don't have any SPS mags but it's my understanding that FullRace is dead on.

gunracer38,

Your ammo OAL is too long. I recommend 1.225" for a HP/FP bullet, and 1.235" for a RN bullet, for the 38/9mm SPS mag tube. These lengths can have a +or- .005" tolerance. If this does not fix your problem, then a call to Mr. Bendell is in order.

Don't load a 38Super to 1.18 unless you like fireworks either

Bill is absolutely correct. 1.180 is good info only for 40cal. 38 super requires the lengths the Beven specified. I have never loaded to 1.260 for any mag, STI/SVI /SPS or single stack.

I would bet that this will take care of your problem.

1.260 is too long. Is this a new gun? Dan usually sends out an info sheet with ammo specs when he delivers a gun. This would have included length.

Edited by chuckbradley

Hi! Am new to the sport and using SPS 38 Super open.

Out here, we are using round nose-Teflon coated reloads and was having problems with OAL before. With 1.240 now, everything goes well. My jams now are usually caused by cracked rim.