Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another One Bites The Dust

ErikW

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detlef, you did the same thing, didn't you? (First Bend nationals?) I never touched a prop, it just disappeared. I somehow came out of that stage without penalties, just a little slow.

I'll start twisting the arm of Gary at Caspian to forge a slab slide with integral sights. Adjust point of impact with a mill. :)

Are ya all forceing the sight in place possible if it is under stress by pushing/pounding in place -Ive found over the years that adj sights

tend to break no matter whose sight if it is forced in-should just tap in

place with a piece of aluminum or a brass punch and held in place with

a dimpled set screw.

Jim Anglin

Sailors custom Pistols

• 5 months later...

My Heinie rear sight came loose today (on Outer Limits, yikes!).

Since my RecoilMaster broke a couple weeks ago, I've been using a tungsten guide rod and 13# or so spring. A few practice sessions and ~400 rounds of 174 PF at the Linea de Fuego match.

It's just uncanny that something happens to my rear sight without a RecoilMaster in the gun.

The thought of sights breaking off the slide is a symptom of another more serious problem, such as a very light recoil spring. According to Wolff Q & A, if the shells eject between three to six feet from where you stand, then, you are using the right recoil spring for a particular load. If the shells eject more than six feet, then the recoil spring may be too light for that load. If the shells are ejecting less than three feet, then, the spring may be too heavy for that load.

I used a Bo-Mar rear sight for my Springfield 1911, and haven't encountered any problems with them. Chip McCormick rear sight, part no. 80046 might be worth looking into. I had it on my Norinco 1911, and never had any problem with it.

I paired it with their front sight, part no. 80045, and they were an effective combination.

I am convinced that you are beating the crap out of your guns with your load/slide weight/springs...whatever.

Not me.

Stock SVI Tri-top slide, 14 lb (and new at the time my sight broke) spring. Funny thing is, I had about 30K on the gun with a Bomar sight with no problems. I had the gun hard chromed and when I put it back together I decided to go with a Wilson sight because I was concerned about the Bomar breaking. The Wilson lasted 5 months and died at the Nationals, of course <_<

MURPHY'S LAW

If anything can go wrong, it will.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.

If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.

Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

Mother nature is a bitch.

The Murphy Philosophy

Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.

Quantization Revision of Murphy's Laws

Everything goes wrong all at once.

Murphy's Constant

Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.

This sums up everything.