Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AT my first duty station I worked at the skeet range and I would pick up and reuse shotgun wads. With a little expementing I found out which ones would work. It was a little distracting when the fingers come off on the second reload.

I have about 5000 45 cases that where fired in an open bolt smg so the rims are beat up a little, when they don,t fit in my case gauge I file the rims till they do. I use 38 special dump pouches as 1911 mag pouches, I cut the flap off and mount they upside down, makes a great double mag pouch. I pay $ 3 in the pawn shops

• 2 years later...
keep it coming. This thread is so funny :)

Well, I collected brass that had been outside so long that it had turned completely black! A little vinegar, some old lemon juice, a vitamin C tablet and an asprin for good measure and it looked almost like brass again. Then into the tumbler & through the gun yet again! Now THAT is cheap.

When I was in Junior High and High School, I reloaded the <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>HARD</span> way: with a Lee Load All, a totally manual reloader. There was no press, you hammered a shell into the sizing die, then pounded it back out with a metal rod on to a priming station to seat the primer. Slow...and dangerous....

I loaded a gazillion rounds that way. I still have stuff I havent shot up.

Now that does bring back the memories.

I loaded 38/357 and 45ACP with that. The kids really don't believe that I loaded with such a thing.

It wasn't so bad when you had nothing.

When I was in Junior High and High School, I reloaded the <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>HARD</span> way: with a Lee Load All, a totally manual reloader. There was no press, you hammered a shell into the sizing die, then pounded it back out with a metal rod on to a priming station to seat the primer. Slow...and dangerous....

When I was in school I did it the same way as Eric. I loaded hundreds of 12 gauge, 30-30, and .45 ACP rounds with those stupid Lee Load All's.

But being a engineer type mentality, I got an old bottle capper out of the barn (a lever mounted to a base to press bottle caps on bottles of home made root beer). With several different sized pieces of wood as spacers, I had my first single stage press.

Bill

keep it coming. This thread is so funny :)

Well, I collected brass that had been outside so long that it had turned completely black! A little vinegar, some old lemon juice, a vitamin C tablet and an asprin for good measure and it looked almost like brass again. Then into the tumbler & through the gun yet again! Now THAT is cheap.

When I started shooting 38 stupor in January, I didn't have much brass. I found myself picking up the black and brown cases at the range as well. I didn't bother with making them shiny again, I just tumbled and loaded them. :closedeyes: worked just fine.

dj

In my long career as a reloader (I started reloading in 1957) I've about done it all. Used a Lee loader for 16 gauge shotshells until a couple of years ago. Picked up used wads at the shotgun range. Dug spent .45 ball from the impact area and used the bullets in my Thompson. Got some free beeswax (about 10 lbs.) mixed it with shortening and wheel grease to make bullet lube. Dug bullets out of the impact area to be melted down and recast. Even cleaned up several indoor ranges of all the lead.

All the cheap things that I've done will never, ever compare with a guy I know that dumped powder from various kinds of bad ammo into a can and then used the mix to reload rifle and pistol ammo. He had bought a bunch of surplus ammo very cheap. Some had cracked cases and even he was smart enough not to shoot them in a rifle.

When I was a teenager, I shot a lot of shotgun and reloaded all my rounds. Shells that were loaded too much would start to lose the crimp and leak pellets. I got the idea to drip candle wax over the crimp to plug the hole and get a few more loadings out of the worn out hulls...worked like a charm! If I would of thought of reusing wads I would have!

... dumped powder from various kinds of bad ammo into a can and then used the mix to reload rifle and pistol ammo....

I bet that made for some entertaining sounds when he was shooting. :surprise:

dj

Along with the pop, pop, boom there were also some stuck bullets and some that went KABLAM. He sometimes didn't shake the can good enough. It was a wonder that he didn't blow up a rifle. I finally quit shooting with him until he started loading ammo using the correct powder.

When I was a teenager, I shot a lot of shotgun and reloaded all my rounds. Shells that were loaded too much would start to lose the crimp and leak pellets. I got the idea to drip candle wax over the crimp to plug the hole and get a few more loadings out of the worn out hulls...worked like a charm! If I would of thought of reusing wads I would have!

Hey, I still do that! :rolleyes:

One time when I was dripping the wax I got to thinking (which is sometimes a bad thing), so I tried to fill the shot area with wax, but it would harden too fast. So I got out the black silicone sealant and filled the plastic wads with a mixture of the sealant and shot. It worked almost like a slug and made big holes in 2 X 4's at ranges that the regular shot wouldn't go through. Most of the time it wouldn't come apart until it hit something then the sealant would stop but the shot would continue.

I still have mine :surprise:

I don't know if this counts but I have never bought one single piece of pistol brass. .223 is a different story.

Chris C.

Never bought new brass, bought 1X fired ONCE. <_< Plenty of dummies nice folks like to leave their new WWB brass for me to collect, and I am happy to oblige them. I get some odd looks sometimes and that's a dead giveaway they're not reloaders. :devil:

Used to use the brown paper towels that Uncle Sam provided for the washrooms for coffee filters. That crap was 200 grit sandpaper... I guess if the soap didn't remove the bacteria, you were supposed to sand the top layer of skin off of your hands. In it's defense, it did a functional job of keeping (most of) the grounds out of my cup.

I still use my sub $10/# powder, dirty as it is, and am gearing up for casting my own boolits.

Edited by ChrisStock