Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 55FMJBT vs Hornady 55FMJBT

Qbert

Has anyone compared the two bullets? Shot for groups?

The consensus seems to be that the Hornadys are good for 1-1.5MOA. I can get the MGs a little cheaper, but wondering if they are really a better buy?

I load both.......when my Hornadys are gone its MG all the way from now on. They are just alot more consistent looking than the Hornady. Accuracy is the same at 100 for both. Both shoot right around an inch. The MG's held better groups at 400. The Hornady opens up a bunch at 400. About 10-12" groups. The MG holds about 6-8" I like knowing I am alot closer to my LR accuracy load with the MG bullets. MG rifle bullets are good to go in my opinion.

I've been using AA 2015 and H335 powders.

Your answer is in the latest issue of Front Sight. If you are not already a USPSA member, there's a great reason to join. ;)

FWIW, I am not dissatisfied with the Hornadys in any way, but I will be running MGs from now on for the simple reason that they are consistently available and you don't have to buy the handy 10 billion pack in order to shoot the same bullet all year. They also have a slightly better BC than the Hornadys which may explain the improved results downrange.

Your answer is in the latest issue of Front Sight. If you are not already a USPSA member, there's a great reason to join. ;)

FWIW, I am not dissatisfied with the Hornadys in any way, but I will be running MGs from now on for the simple reason that they are consistently available and you don't have to buy the handy 10 billion pack in order to shoot the same bullet all year. They also have a slightly better BC than the Hornadys which may explain the improved results downrange.

Read the article - Excellent job

I'm guessing that you have done more testing since ? Care to elaborate ?

Actually not yet. The ranges here have been snowed in since Dec. As far as "testing" about the only testing I need to do now involves the limits of my credit card. I'm satisfied with what I saw last fall. They will ring steel and down coyotes if I do my job well.

I don't see a downside...except maybe the same issue of availability a la Hornady once they're "discovered" by volume rifle shooters.

In reference to my post above. I was shooting my 3 gun competition rifle with 16" barrel. Optic is Leupold 1-3x CQT. Target at 400 yards was a 12" steel gong suspended from chain on a frame. Shooting position was prone off of bipod.

I also shot the MG load at 200 for just under 2.5" groups. My accuracy load with a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip held an inch at 200 and 4-5" at 400.

My accuracy load and MG load used the same powder and charge weight of 25.4 grains of H335. The MG only opened up slightly more than the Nosler load.I had some work up loads of AA2015 that printed about the same with about 100 fps better velocity. Crimp is very slight and the same on all loads.

I'm going to do some more work up with 2015 before Blue Ridge 3 gun.

For the same hold as the MG and same charge weight of powder but at a shorter OAL than the MG.....the Hornady was all over the 12" plate but held almost identical at 100 what the MG did.

I would be confident with the MG bullet for a backup LR load if needed.

00bullitt,

That is fantastic information! What are you using for a crimp? The Lee FCD? What about the primer? I have been using 25gr of TAC and a Russian primer. I was going to use 2230 and 335, but I read somewhere that they were temp sensitive and that TAC supposedly was not.

Eric, didn't know that about the BC. Thanks.

Crimp die is the Dillon taper crimp. Primer is a Winchester small rifle. OAL for the MG is 2.250" and for the Nosler it is 2.264"

Mags used are the Magpul PMAGS since they are more forgiving on slightly longer OAL.

One real nice thing about the MG is that the OAL can be loaded out to 2.260" and the crimp will still be in the cannelure. I may try and run them a tad longer and test them this Friday when I go back to the deep range. I really don't expect accuracy to get much better from an FMJ but you never know.

As for TAC.....I have heard nothing but good about it. Somebody posted a sub one inch group at 300 using TAC and a 60 grain VMAX. Thats pretty impressive.

I believe if I had a scope with a tad more magnification that I could tighten my groups up a bit. The circle dot reticle on the CQT is not the best in the world for maximum accuracy. Its actually pretty hard to shoot at 400. I just happened to have the perfect holdover reference of a nice yellow leaf over the gong that I continued to aim at to get my hits consistently. The CQT reticle really starts to peter out at 350. After that the reticle is in limbo.

I have a goodly order in on the MG 55gr and look forward to using them.

Sorry, thread drift.

Mags used are the Magpul PMAGS since they are more forgiving on slightly longer OAL.

How much longer can you go with these?

I am working on a short action .223 with a detachable mag for shooting 77gr and 80gr loaded long. The chamber I have is throated 0.060" longer than standard. They will not (just) get into a Brownells, Bushmaster or DPMS magazine.

I have a goodly order in on the MG 55gr and look forward to using them.

Sorry, thread drift.

How much longer can you go with these?

I am working on a short action .223 with a detachable mag for shooting 77gr and 80gr loaded long. The chamber I have is throated 0.060" longer than standard. They will not (just) get into a Brownells, Bushmaster or DPMS magazine.

About 2.27" is as long as I think you could reliably go.

Guys I currently run my hornady 55s at 2.225 to be in the middle of the cannlure and to run fine in my 45 round mag. How short can you run the MG 55s? I don't know how long I can go on the mag before it starts binding but I know 2.260 is to far :-). 2.250 would probably work but would like to be around 2.240 if possible.

• 1 month later...

I have just loaded a couple rounds of this at 2.247 and the cannelure is below the case mouth (is that bad?). But it appears that a rounds this length barely fits in a 30 round Brownells mag. I'm running 26-26.5 grains Varget. So can anyone tell me what OAL works in a Brownells or other GI 30 round mag?

I have just loaded a couple rounds of this at 2.247 and the cannelure is below the case mouth (is that bad?). But it appears that a rounds this length barely fits in a 30 round Brownells mag. I'm running 26-26.5 grains Varget. So can anyone tell me what OAL works in a Brownells or other GI 30 round mag?

2.260 is standard mag length. I think Pmags can go a little farther. I loaded mine up to 2.250 and have about 1/4 of the cannelure showing and the run through my 45 round mag no problem.

rtr,

Could you measure a bullet and post where the cannelure starts as measured from the base of the bullet?

Also, measure the OAL of the brownell's mag from front to back. I used NHMTG mags for the article, FWIW. They are off different dies than the Brownell's, I believe.

I'd be curious if others posted the cannelure locations of their MG 55 FMJ's as well. I've heard back from folks on the bullet's performance in their rifles and results have been mixed. Next time I review a bullet, I'll only post a review after shooting 1K+ from multiple lots. Lesson learned.

The ones I have seem to be more consistent with the cannelure placement than the hornadys I had. The placement is higher than the hornadys as well on the ones I have as well.

As far as performance they won't replace a good matchking load but for 100 yard ranges or maybe a little farther I think they will be fine and you can't beat the price. Now if your shooting a lot of the 300-400 yard monster 3 gun matches yeah buck up and get the better stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
Could you measure a bullet and post where the cannelure starts as measured from the base of the bullet?

.216-.217 it looks like.

Just loaded some to 2.260 and they are just touching on the mag wall. I think I'll go down to 2.250. Anyone try Varget powder? In my Lynman manual it looks like 25.0 grains was very accurate.

Mule

Edited by SingleStacker45

• 3 weeks later...

How fast are you guys pushing the MG's? I got some weird impacts with the MG the other day. I was shooting at a 350 yard target and I got 2 crazy fliers that was like 50' or so below the target (the target is on a hill). The load is probably only going 3200+ fps. The Hornady 55's I was also shooting that day didn't do this.

The loads were trimmed by the Dillon trimmer. I didn't chamfer the brass. Wondering if the MG jackets are so thin that they would be greatly affected by "rough" brass (or velocity). The Hornady loads used like processed brass.

I had some problem out of MG's myself. They wouldn't group all that well and I was loading 25.2 grns of TAC with OAL of 2.247. I was able to hit a 300 yrd plate multiple times holding on my 100 yrd POA. Go figure. I don't know what to do now. Loading the Hornady's was so much easier..... :unsure:

Chris C.

I had some problem out of MG's myself. They wouldn't group all that well and I was loading 25.2 grns of TAC with OAL of 2.247. I was able to hit a 300 yrd plate multiple times holding on my 100 yrd POA. Go figure. I don't know what to do now. Loading the Hornady's was so much easier..... :unsure:

Chris C.

use what works...if hornadys work for ya then I would use them. I haven't been able to try the MG out past 100 yards yet anyway. I'm hoping to try soon though. I figure though if I'm going to shoot a major 3 gun match with any distance I'll use my 68SMK load though.