Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? for all you Solo 1000 guys.

98sr20ve

On your recommendation I have a bunch of Solo 1000 to try out. I am also switching over to heavier bullets but I have a handful of 115gr Rainiers left. With my Tightgroup I was loading them at 3.9 min - 4.2 max. 3.9 would not cycle reliable in my G34 either. So I usually loaded 4.1 gr. Now Solo 1000 and Tightgroup are similar in charge weight with the 147's. I need some starting load data for 115, 124's and 135's. Particularly the 115 stuff as I only have about 40 and I don't want to hunt around finding a load that will work. Also, Most importantly. Is their any reason to be nervous about going with the lighter bullet and 3.5 grs as a start point. Some weird pressure thing I don't know about with this type of powder?

I run 147's with 3.55 grains for 126 PF. A friend of mine is at ~4.4 with 124's. OLD load data list 3.6 to 4.1 under 115's. IMO, with on 40 on hand, load them up around 3.8 @ 1.125" and shoot them up for fun. It won't be worth the time and effort to try to "tune" a load.

I run 147's with 3.55 grains for 126 PF.

Interesting. The other thread said 3.2 made PF. What bullet and AOL is that?

A friend of mine is at ~4.4 with 124's. OLD load data list 3.6 to 4.1 under 115's. IMO, with on 40 on hand, load them up around 3.8 @ 1.125" and shoot them up for fun. It won't be worth the time and effort to try to "tune" a load.

Is that Lead Data? I dont want to assume but it seems right.

On your recommendation I have a bunch of Solo 1000 to try out. I am also switching over to heavier bullets but I have a handful of 115gr Rainiers left. With my Tightgroup I was loading them at 3.9 min - 4.2 max. 3.9 would not cycle reliable in my G34 either. So I usually loaded 4.1 gr. Now Solo 1000 and Tightgroup are similar in charge weight with the 147's. I need some starting load data for 115, 124's and 135's. Particularly the 115 stuff as I only have about 40 and I don't want to hunt around finding a load that will work. Also, Most importantly. Is their any reason to be nervous about going with the lighter bullet and 3.5 grs as a start point. Some weird pressure thing I don't know about with this type of powder?

My wife likes 4.0 grains S-1000 under 115 Rainier w/OAL 1.16 for a plinking load in G-34...no cycling problems. I would mention it is running a 15 LB recoil spring but if I took a guess, I'd say it would cycle OK with OEM spring as well.

4.0gr sounds about right, but start off low like 3.8 and work up. I'm getting minor with 147s with 3.2gr of S1000 with an OAL of 1.125. If your OAL is longer, you might need more. I am also using a glock, with a tighter barrel, you might need more. Every gun is different, every barrel is different.

A friend of mine is at ~4.4 with 124's. OLD load data list 3.6 to 4.1 under 115's. IMO, with on 40 on hand, load them up around 3.8 @ 1.125" and shoot them up for fun. It won't be worth the time and effort to try to "tune" a load.

What's worked most consistently so far is ~4.4 @ 1.135 under 124 grain MG or PD, both FMJ. Shot out of an XD9 - 5" Tactical - makes PF 128-129. SD was single digits with that load. The reason I say the load is ~4.4 is that Solo 1000 is a fairly large flake that doesn't necessarily meter precisely in my 550. It's generally within .05 grain.

I went a bit longer (not intentionally, seating die wiggled loose and backed out to 1.145" OAL) and the PF was close, but the standard deviation went up to ~20. Was also a bit less accurate when cold (air temp low 40's).

I started @ 3.8 grains and worked up. No pressure signs, cycles reliably, front sight with minimal bounce.

I haven't found the velocity curve to be linear, but it does seem to 'behave' better when more compacted (shorter OAL).

I'm new at this, no expert. Nothing more than personal experience is expressed or implied in the above data. This works for me, in a Great Lakes spring, in this gun. YMMV - proceed with caution. If it's match ammo, use a chrono.

I run 147's with 3.55 grains for 126 PF.

Interesting. The other thread said 3.2 made PF. What bullet and AOL is that?

Yes, I've made PF at 3.2. I was loading quite a bit shorter then than I am now. I like the longer OAL and more powder. Two different bullets made minor today, over two CED Millennium chronos lined up. The first was a Bear Creek moly and the second was Montana Gold FMC's. Moly's (1.142 to 1.145") went 125.5 to 126.1 and MG's (1.135 to 1.137")were 126.5 to 127.3 out of my CZ 85 with a 10 SD with moly and 15 with the MG's. It seems I have a bit more work to do on the Montana Gold loads to get the SD's down where they belong.

The load data I posted is good for a 115 JHP at 1.030" to 124 FMJRM's at 1.114". The lead data lists a 125 Speer LRN at 1.100 with a load of 3.2 to 3.6 grains. Remember, this data is OLD. Another member here was kind enough to send it to me when we were having a discussion about Solo 1000 data not even existing for 9mm. I said it didn't exist at all, he said it did, just not for 147's. Even contacting Johan at Accurate couldn't get me any data for Solo 1000 and 9mm. He told me it didn't exist. That's how OLD this data is. They don't even know/acknowledge it's out there.

Disclaimer time: The above loads I posted are loaded by me, for me, in my gun. I feel perfectly safe shooting them but as always... No, none, nada, zilch, zip safety, etc. is expressed or implied.

That all said, I really like the powder.

4.0gr sounds about right, but start off low like 3.8 and work up. I'm getting minor with 147s with 3.2gr of S1000 with an OAL of 1.125. If your OAL is longer, you might need more. I am also using a glock, with a tighter barrel, you might need more. Every gun is different, every barrel is different.

Yep. I should have added that I started off in the lower 3.0+ grains (can't remember exactly). First loads barely cycled the gun and none of the following loads grouped well until I got "close" to 4.0. My old copy of the Scot manual shows 3.7 grains as the 115 gr bullet starting load with a max of 4.1. I've shot up to 4.4 with no pressure problems but accuracy did not improve past 4.0 so I left it there. There are more dead-nutz accurate loads around but this one ain't too bad for range plinking and its soft, quiet, clean and zero flash...the wife love it.

Well, I just ordered 2K jacketed 115's because I could find those in stock. So now I need some Jackted data. I would think the same amount of powder would just push the jackted bullet a little slower then the lead bullet. I could start and work up the same.

Well, I just ordered 2K jacketed 115's because I could find those in stock. So now I need some Jackted data. I would think the same amount of powder would just push the jackted bullet a little slower then the lead bullet. I could start and work up the same.

Don't be suprised if the difference is almost non-existant. There isn't a lot of difference in the resistance in a 115gr bullet jacketed vs lead. You'll like the jackted more though I think.

Well,

115 gr Rainiers with 3.8 grs and a 1.162 AOL will not cycle my stock G34 (with LW barrel). It's going to need 4-4.1 to be reliable with that bullet it seems. I will check for pressure signs latter when I have more bullets. For now I will mix these low recoil jammers in with some good stuff to help me test my clearing ability. Not that my gun ever jams unless I hit in on a barracade.

142 gr Lead with 3.2 and 3.4 and 3.6 grs @ 1.125 AOL all cycled the gun fine. It seemed the 3.4 gr shot better but I only had 10 of each and I only shot two 5 shot groups. Both times my best (but pathetic) group was with the 3.4 gr. I did not have a good rest, and I had just got done sawing some gutters for work.

They all shot soft. They all smoked much less then the TG I had been using. Even indoor the lead was shootable. Before you had to stop due to the smoke. I dont plan on shooting much lead indoors. This was just a test.

Anyway. I am going to load a batch of 300 with 3.4 grs for this weekends match.

Is Solo 1000 almost odorless?

Yes.

Makes me feel a lot better. I hope to be trying some bullets today.

Thanks...Hank

My first purchased 1lb container seal came off of the when I took off the cap, too. The powder was fine. I think it's just the way it's put on at the factory. No worries. The powder doesn't have the typical smell.

• 1 month later...

147 Precision Black Bullet (old style about 146.7~ grains) with 3.8 of Solo 100 @ 1.138 gave me and average of 937 for a PF of 137+.

The recoil was different than with TG (a little nicer?) and I really like the way the front sight tracks. It was windy and I could not really tell about the smoke factor. Ran a full 22 round mag full through in an extended Bill Drill ans the gun was Way cooler than with TG..... First impression is good.

I am going to lengthen them out to around 1.15~ tomorrow and bump them a tad and see what happens.

Gun is a 9 mm Benny Built 6" Fat Free.

Edit to add caliber...Duh.

Edited by Merlin Orr

I have switched over to Solo 1000 from Titegroup in 9mm. I still use Clays in .40 and .45. May try Solo in those when I use up the two 8 lb jugs of Clays. I could not get Clays to work with the heavy 9mm bullets.

What would be a good starting load for 124 grain Montana Gold JHP's? I finally picked up two 14 ounce jugs of Solo. I'm curious to give it a shot.

I have yet to try with the MG 124s but will a little later. There is info in the replies in this thread about 124s...read above. ;)

What would be a good starting load for 124 grain Montana Gold JHP's? I finally picked up two 14 ounce jugs of Solo. I'm curious to give it a shot.

FWIW, the old Scott data for FMJ 124's is the same as for 115's...3.7 to 4.1 grains.

I have switched over to Solo 1000 from Titegroup in 9mm. I still use Clays in .40 and .45. May try Solo in those when I use up the two 8 lb jugs of Clays. I could not get Clays to work with the heavy 9mm bullets.

For 9, 45, 38 spc run Solo.

For 40, run something slower like WSF or WST or Tgroup - just something slower.

Edited by Viggen

For 9, 45, 38 spc run Solo.

For 40, run something slower like WSF or WST or Tgroup - just something slower.

This is too easy. Get a container of Solo 1250 and try it. It's in the same ballpark as Unique and WSF, but it's still a single base powder.

I saw the Solo 1000 listed on "someone's" burn chart.......

It was listed 1 step faster than Clays. :surprise:

I am very leary of Clays in a .40 and think I will pass on the 1000 for.40. I will try a pound of the Solo 1250 based on Chuck's comment.....

Check out the burn rate chart on Ramshot's web site. Solo 1000 is listed several places faster than Clays. So far I haven't heard of anyone blowing anything up with it. It seems to be much more linear than Clays which has a bad habit (from what I gather) of going from fine to BOOM in less than .1 grain.

As always, ymmv.