Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED 7000

prreed10

I am looking for a timer and I have it narrowed to a PACT Club Shot Timer 3 or a CED 7000. I have friends who have the PACT, but I am looking for some reviews on the CED for comparison. It will be used for practice and as an SO. Thanks!

In my opinion the CED 7000 is the smallest and best timer on the market today. It is fully programmable, has adjustable volume and sensitivity so that it can be used indoors for dry fire without driving the family crazy and can be adjusted to pick up shots at indoor ranges while blocking shots of shooters farther away. Some have even had some success with them picking up the sound of airsoft guns.

The only downside that I have heard is that some folks do not like the idea of the rechargeable battery. Once I charge mine, I can use it for weeks at a time without recharging. YMMV.

Leo

I have a 7000 as well, it's a terrific timer for training. Some knock the lack of keypad but really you get use to the menu system and changing times VERY quickly.

The adjustability prreed mentioned is nice but the different ways you can set par times is my favorite thing.

I've also used one indoors and it works like a champ, even with open guns that cause some severe reverb. To top it all off it fits in your pocket and has a ton of different clip styles. My experience with the rechargable batt has been nothing but positive.

In my opinion the CED 7000 is the smallest and best timer on the market today. It is fully programmable, has adjustable volume and sensitivity so that it can be used indoors for dry fire without driving the family crazy and can be adjusted to pick up shots at indoor ranges while blocking shots of shooters farther away. Some have even had some success with them picking up the sound of airsoft guns.

The only downside that I have heard is that some folks do not like the idea of the rechargeable battery. Once I charge mine, I can use it for weeks at a time without recharging. YMMV.

Leo

+1

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the 7000. I picked up the wrist and belt clips as well. It is on backorder from Brownells, but hopefully it won't take long to get back in stock. I will try and get the car charger later.

Isn't it funny how a $5 spring order turns into $175 :D

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the 7000. I picked up the wrist and belt clips as well. It is on backorder from Brownells, but hopefully it won't take long to get back in stock. I will try and get the car charger later.

The only real drawback I have seen with the 7000 is the frequency of the beep. One of our shooters has hearing problems with high frequencies and simply cannot hear the timer. At larger matches I pull out my Pocket Pro and let the RO use it for him and then go back to the 7000.

I like it. I like it a lot. The only improvement I would make is an adjustable frequency beep.

FWIW

dj

Rather than a car charger, you might consider the AAA battery charger/adapter. It holds 2 AAA batteries and plugs into the bottom of the timer. You can continue to use the timer while the internal battery is being charged by the AAA batteries. I have never had to use it, but it could save a practice session where the car charger would cost you some time.

:cheers:

Too bad you couldnt find somebody with them in stock. :devil:

Too bad you couldnt find somebody with them in stock. :devil:

I know. I bet you have one in stock - I did not think to look anywhere else. Midway and Brownells both have it on backorder. Hopefully it won't be too long a wait.

Edited by prreed10

Just don't recharge it with a Nokia cell phone charger, which happens to have a same size plug. Dont ask me how I know. :ph34r:

I was thinking it and about to ask -it sure does look similar to my Samsung charger plug :unsure: - thanks for the heads up!

I have one, and love it. (A "tactical" that I picked up from Chuck :cheers: with a wristband and skin). When I'm practicing by myself, I really like the random start delay. At home, the "soft" volume makes my wife slightly less mad at me for in-apt. dry-fire. The small size and wrist band also are great for working by yourself. "Spy mode" is wonderful if you want to record your splits while you're being run---just start it during your LAMR. The total time will be off but all the splits are right on, so you can work it all backwards when you get the total time from the official timer.

I haven't used it to RO with yet, since I'm a little worried about the frequency issue, with everyone at the local clubs using Pocket Pro units. But I'm sure I will find out the hard way soon enough.

Summary: they're great.

I plug and muff and can hear it just fine. As with any timer, you just hold it closer to the shooter's head when they double plug.

It's not really a loudness problem. It's plenty loud enough. It's a frequency problem. Some long-time shooters (and others) have an issue with hearing high frequencies. If you can get your hands on a 7000 and a pocket pal, compare the two and it will be very evident what the differences are.

Isn't it great that we have so many options in timers. Pick one you like, that fits your needs, and off you go. :cheers:

dj

Chuck, save me a regular order coming your way as soon as i read everything else.

Thank You !

Did we ship it quick enough?

03/27/2008 14:12:00 True Pending

03/27/2008 14:29:43 True Shipped

Chuck,

It was great to see people paying attention to their order line and being able to ship quickly. Now if you could just get some Zero bullets in stock.