Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp factory load

cnote

What would be the softest shooting factory .45 load for single stack, untill I start reloading .45? Also, do people shoot .45 in L-10 or would i be at a huge disadvantage. I own a single stack 1911 and would like to compete in multiple divisions. A club near me shoots a match throughout the day, and if i get there early enough, i could shoot it twice, SS and then L-10 with 10 round mags. Its a long ride.

Thanks

What would be the softest shooting factory .45 load for single stack, untill I start reloading .45? Also, do people shoot .45 in L-10 or would i be at a huge disadvantage. I own a single stack 1911 and would like to compete in multiple divisions. A club near me shoots a match throughout the day, and if i get there early enough, i could shoot it twice, SS and then L-10 with 10 round mags. Its a long ride.

Thanks

Commonly found ammo... Winchester White Box.

Not to much disadvantage using a SS in L10... IMHO.

Spend a few hours reading Here and you will see some good info.. :cheers:

WELCOME to the Forums! :D

Edited by Merlin Orr

First, welcome to our world. We're glad you're here.

Second, real men shoot .45 ACP skinny guns in both SS and L-10. :rolleyes: I shot either Winchester White Box or Blazer in my Springer Black Stainless for almost two years when I was shooting L-10. I doubt that the PF of most commercially available .45 ACP varies much unless you buy from a firm like Atlanta Arms and Ammo. They have loads that will be less than the ammo you buy at WalMart or a gun store, probably around a 170 PF. However, it will cost more and the difference really isn't that great. Unless you're going to reload, just buy the least expensive name brand ammo you can find.

Thanks for the responses, someone told me that Blazer ammo would not be wise, as it has quite a kick, and is good protice ammo for self defense purposes. Any truth to the statement?

The word around here used to be that Winchester made a 185gr. white box load that barely made major in a 5" barrel(I think TGO used that load some). Where to find it, I have no idea.

a buddy of mine shot wwb at a state match and he barely made power factor. if the last of his 8 rounds hadn't been a little hotter than the others, he would not have made it. yopu may want to chrono it before any big match.

a buddy of mine shot wwb at a state match and he barely made power factor. if the last of his 8 rounds hadn't been a little hotter than the others, he would not have made it. yopu may want to chrono it before any big match.

Was it 230gr WWB? If so that's pretty surprising since it would only need to be going 720fps to make major....which is really slow for factory ammo. I'm not doubting it, just find it surprising. R,

Was it 230gr WWB? If so that's pretty surprising since it would only need to be going 720fps to make major....which is really slow for factory ammo. I'm not doubting it, just find it surprising. R,

i was very surprised they ran that slow. we gave 8 rounds, one was taken apart for bullet weight and three were averaged for power factor. they ran 163-164. he kept shooting and the last round before he would have been shooting minor brought it up to 165.0?. it was that close. i honestly don't remember if they were 200 or 230 grain.

I would think that it must have been with a lighter bullet than 230. I made "he-man" class in both NY and VT (and the VT match is notorious for running LOW pf-wise, must be the altitude) with 230 grn WWB from Wally world in my pre-Dillon days.

I think that it was around 190PF in my 5" 625 (revolver for newbies ;) ) and 195 in my 5" SW745IPSC at both locations, and 198 in my brother's 5" SW 1911 (craziest, hottest run I've seen yet at a match).

This was a couple years ago though, so they may have changed the recipe.

• 4 weeks later...

New question here:

What is the issue with power factor using .45 acp?

I would have thought using 200 or 230 grain ammo one would have made major without an issue.

One of the things us new people have a problem with as far as the "practical" aspect of this sport.

How practical is it if you have to be a knowledgable reloader to compete in major and cannot use factory available ammo to do so?

I'm all for learning new stuff and plan on reloading my own ammo soon but its discouraging to have to spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about this issue without being able to simply resolve it by buying a factory available ammunition.

Just my .02

I gaze at the open guns available on the internet and wonder why they were not being offered in .45acp and only seem to be available in .38 super or .40. or 9X23 .

Any advice here on making major power factor with a .45 acp or which open division gun you guys recommend ?

JK

New question here:

What is the issue with power factor using .45 acp?

I would have thought using 200 or 230 grain ammo one would have made major without an issue.

One of the things us new people have a problem with as far as the "practical" aspect of this sport.

How practical is it if you have to be a knowledgable reloader to compete in major and cannot use factory available ammo to do so?

I'm all for learning new stuff and plan on reloading my own ammo soon but its discouraging to have to spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about this issue without being able to simply resolve it by buying a factory available ammunition.

Just my .02

I gaze at the open guns available on the internet and wonder why they were not being offered in .45acp and only seem to be available in .38 super or .40. or 9X23 .

Any advice here on making major power factor with a .45 acp or which open division gun you guys recommend ?

JK

JK, all of the factory 200 grain and 230 grain 45 ACP on the market makes major easily. 200 grain if you can even find it is prohibitively expensive. As far as 230 grain goes, it runs at about 185 - 190 PF. You only have to make 165 to make major. Long history, long story there. Reloaders try for 170 - 175 PF. It's just easier to shoot and easier on the gun, but dancing on the fine line can be difficult. You don't want to go minor.

The calibers of choice for open is 38 super, 38 super comp, and 9mm. Why? Because the powers that be allowed those calibers to be used for major in open. Why? Because you can come close to running a 32 round stage without a reload with a 170mm magazine with lots of trick innerds. That's the same reason 40S&W predominates in Limited. Maximum magazine capacity.

That's a bit of a simplistic answer, but I hope it clears a couple of things up.

Stevej,

Thanks hombre.

It DOES clear up a couple things.

I guess I just had a mental block about the "Practical" aspect thinking:

"Just how practical is it if I can't use factory ammo I can just buy in a store and have to buy an exotic caliber weapon and start reloading like a fiend?"

I have no idea how expensive factory 200-230 grain .45 ammo is.

Currently I shoot mostly production with my police dept issued Glock 17.

Last match I would up shooting in Limited Minor because my son had to use my weapon and it would have held the squad up with us reloading mags for production .

The guys there suggested that we shoot limited minor because then we could have the mags loaded all the way and with production only 10 rounds allowed so we would have been speed reloading mags on the range. LOL

Looking forward toward eventually getting an open class gun.

JK