Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should IDPA get rid of the classifcation system?

Chills1994

No, they just need to add a higher classification and add more required shots at 25 yards.

If they added more 25 yard shots I would be knocked down to marksman. I get killed every time by stage 3 on the classifier.

No, they just need to add a higher classification and add more required shots at 25 yards.

If they added more 25 yard shots I would be knocked down to marksman. I get killed every time by stage 3 on the classifier.

You and me both! The distance shots separate the men from the boys. I'm still growing up.

They just need to add another class - GM. A master class shooter in ssp that shoots a 98 would probably equate to a high B low A shooter in IPSC. Now this poor shooter is in the same class as Sevigny.

Now this poor shooter is in the same class as Sevigny.

So. Why should any "master" feel bad about being beaten by a better shooter? Getting beat by a lower classed shooter might be embarrassing, but there is no shame in losing to a better shooter. I would imagine that most masters only care about overall finish, but that is just my observation.

I've lost to Dave a bunch and never once felt bad about not having a chance to beat him. I haven't put in the work he does, so why should I expect to beat him?

Chills, Chills, Chills.............. :rolleyes:

Personally, I would like to see some sort of Classifying stystem similar to USPSA's. Every match would have 1 stage that would count.

JMO

Yes!! One size fits all classification just doesn't suit the sport well. Practicing the same classifier over and over to Grandbag into a higher level is kind of silly. I like the USPSA method of many different classifier stages.

Nah, keep it just the way it is. I like being called SSR MA even though my MA classifier was not shot with a speedloader gun. My next goal is to shoot it in about 90 seconds with my stock Glock 35 to make ESP MA but still stay SSP EX. Need to shoot one for each division, you know...

Dave Sinko

Nah, that game and this one would work better if everyone shot heads up and the winner take the prize...Classes are for folks with thin skin who need a feel good finish to their shooting...but that is just MHO and is not meant to incite any riots.... ;)

Practicing the same classifier over and over to Grandbag into a higher level is kind of silly.

Actually, I can't think of any single thing, except maybe switching from a Chapman to Isosceles Stance, that's made a greater improvement in my shooting than practicing to shoot Master on the IDPA classifier. By the time you can do that, there are just a whole lot of thing you have to be able to do really well.

Okay, nobody here is debating whether practicing the classifier over and over and over again until you make a master level time IS or IS NOT going to help your overall shooting skills.

I think we can all agree that it will help your shooting in general.

I think we can all spot a "Paper Master" when we see one.

@ Duane, a quick search at IDPA.com and on google shows that you're not one of those "Paper Masters".

If you like the "classifier" so much, then you can keep practicing it regardless if there is a classification system based off it or NOT.

So, are you saying you didn't practice anything else then?

Hmmn... I'm missing some votes here. It says 66 up above, but when I add up the votes for each category I only get 47. So there are 19 votes out there, somewhere.

Edited by Chills1994

Seriously, I would like to see the divisions eliminated. Reduce the max capacity to eight for all involved, allow the 8 shot revolvers and ease up on some of the barrel and weight restrictions. And why not just score everything Minor? To me that makes more sense than eliminating the classification system. Should I be upset that I'll never win SSR MA because Miculek or some other better shooters will always beat me? No, because they worked harder for it and clearly deserve it. I never mind being beaten by better shooters but I'd really like to see the divisions eliminated and everybody compete against everybody else.

Dave Sinko

This discussion has proven to be highly cyclical over the years - about every 14 months - the average amount of time it takes a shooter who dedicates the time to practise a few times a week to progress from SS to MA. Interestingly, the very next sequence in the cycle is a discussion around establishing a class above MA.

After having seen it a number of times - and it sounds and looks the same each and every time - I have arrived at the following conclusion:

If everyone who professes a disinterest in published/classified results speaks the truth, we have no issues.

For those who are interested, Duane offers sage advice.

We all participate for different reasons - and that's good. We all get something different out of it. Put something in, you get something out. Put nothing in, you get nothing out. Those that desire everything out of it have to put everything into it. That's good too.

Craig

Edited by Bones

Bones wrote:

This discussion has proven to be highly cyclical over the years - about every 14 months - the average amount of time it takes a shooter who dedicates the time to practise a few times a week to progress from SS to MA. Interestingly, the very next sequence in the cycle is a discussion around establishing a class above MA.

Well, Craig, you got me to flip through 20 pages of threads in this IDPA sub forum.

I found my old thread that I started almost 2 years (24 months) ago here:

Classifying on the Curve at a Major Match

I also found another IDPA Grand Master thread:

An IDPA GM classification?

I really didn't spot anything else along those two lines, Craig.

I also didn't notice the 14 month cycle, at least not here.

Are there other forums where this gets brought up?

I only started this thread because of Zhunter's Pro vs. Amateur USPSA thread and the recent IDPA GM? thread.

I have actually been thinking about this topic for quite a while, and I actually did put some thought in to what people...okay... just me would have against the classification system as it stands now.

I also put some thought into why people would want to keep the current classification system.

These threads might start up because the weather is getting better and people (me) are thinking ahead to this year's shooting season and also reflecting back on last year's shooting season: what could/should be better/different about USPSA or IDPA this year?

Edited by Chills1994

I'm a complete beginner and to me it's a useful gauge of my progress. I agree that you can train for just the Q course and move up rapidly, but shootings shooting. It's range time that makes improvement. The Q course tests the basic skills well enough. The scenarios add fun. And I do this for fun. I shoot Highpower for the same reason. Not to say I'm lazy, I practice a lot, but I'm only competing against myself in the end of the day.

^^^ Yeah, you are new.

Given time, I think your attitude is going to change.

You'll want to see your name at or near the top of the results page, just like a lot of other people.

:ph34r:

My tip: buy Steve Anderson's dry fire books, and dry fire A LOT!

^^^ Yeah, you are new.

Given time, I think your attitude is going to change.

You'll want to see your name at or near the top of the results page, just like a lot of other people.

:ph34r:

My tip: buy Steve Anderson's dry fire books, and dry fire A LOT!

Oh I don't doubt it. I like to do well and push myself to do so. But I keep it calm by focusing on beating myself each time, not the other guys. The classifications just let me know how fast/good the other guys are before i even see them shoot. It also lets them know how dead slow i am in comparison.

From here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Sandbagging

sand·bag (sndbg)

n.

A bag filled with sand and used as ballast, in the formation of protective walls, or as a weapon.

v. sand·bagged, sand·bag·ging, sand·bags

v.tr.

1. To put sandbags in or around.

2. To hit with a sandbag.

3. Slang

a. To treat severely or unjustly.

b. To force by crude means; coerce: sandbagged us into cleaning up their mess.

c. To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in a game or activity in order to deceive (someone), especially in gambling: sandbagged the pool player by playing poorly in the first game when stakes were low.

v.intr. Slang

To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling.

Since there are no IDPA clubs local to me, it is difficult to make it to classifier matches. I have to get in touch with a SO and schedule a time to shoot the classifier. I have no problem with the current classifier, but it is much easier to maintain my classification in USPSA with each match having a stage that contributes to that.