Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Morgan to buy Bear Stearns

2 bucks a share? This will stink to hi heaven.---------------Larry

Just the tip of the ice berg. No telling where it will end and how many more institutions will disappear, but the end won't be real soon. The trend for financials is down and with tomorrow's opening, in uncharted territory with a ways to go for any meaningful support.

Bill

This is a good thing. The downside of the mortgage problem has a huge adverse effect on our economy. The bail out is unusual becasue this is an unusual time. The feds needed to step in as well as send a message, just because you are a business failure do not expect us to always bail you out. There is a to be a pain associated with the bailout. The 2.00 a share is sending a message to the megastock holders of BS is that their multimillions is now worth a lot less. Think of losing 90% of your net value. So the BS folks need to feel some pain and wrath from their peers in Wall Street.

With any luck we will figure out how to punish the owners of these failed companies and save peoples' home. A thirty second sound bite is not a solution!

This is a good thing. The downside of the mortgage problem has a huge adverse effect on our economy. The bail out is unusual becasue this is an unusual time. The feds needed to step in as well as send a message, just because you are a business failure do not expect us to always bail you out. There is a to be a pain associated with the bailout. The 2.00 a share is sending a message to the megastock holders of BS is that their multimillions is now worth a lot less. Think of losing 90% of your net value. So the BS folks need to feel some pain and wrath from their peers in Wall Street.

With any luck we will figure out how to punish the owners of these failed companies and save peoples' home. A thirty second sound bite is not a solution!

The Bear Stearns fiasco was not really a bailout. With the stock falling from the high $50's to $2 from Thursday morning to Sunday night, that's not bailing out the shareholders. As for punishing the "owners", the shareholders are the owners. For the most part the shareholder did nothing wrong other than believe that management has their best interest at heart.

As for the megastock holders losing millions, that's true. But I feel sorry for the many small shareholders that bought Bear Stearns for it reputation of a safe and reliable stock to hold in their retirement funds. They are the ones that are hurt, not the management that misled the public and took the company into the high risk investments that brought it down. Management has over the years lined their pockets while doing a poor job running the company and will probably get additional millions as severance pay.

As for punishing management, the government is too busy trying to keep the banks from closing down to be bothered with punishing those that should be held liable.

Can we say "ENRON"?

Anyone see the video from Savage (I think) 3 days before screaming not to get out of Bear Stearns?

The dollar is definitely tanking...it's only a matter of time. Here comes the Amero.

It's amazing how they are trying to fix the problem of inflation with more inflation.

The Bear Stearns fiasco was not really a bailout.

If the Fed and by extension the taxpayers are left holding the mbs's that BS put up for collateral, it will be in effect a bailout.

All i know is there better a steep discount in the value they put on that (BS) collateral.

I would consider it a bail out for the the financial instruments that are held by BS then moved to JPM.

Inflation with a recession at the door is a diffucult situation, especially with the dollar falling. So there are some price increases but this is due to the devaluation of the dollar with overseas goods. Price increase is not automatically inflation by the definition of inflation.

The problem of rising cost of oil coupled with the failure in the sub prime market definitely has the economists looking for new terms to describe the situation. The govt. interaction is to protect its own financial market first, then the world economy. IMHO.

• 5 months later...

And this is the industry that I work in, and if it continues to unravel, we're McHosed. We're already running paycheck to paycheck now and for at the least the next 11 months, and any more negative financial impact will have us out of our house.

We went through this in 2001 with the .com bust, and I ended up unemployed. We ended up getting evicted (!) the week before Christmas. :( All we have to be able to do is hang on and hope the powers that be in my company don't have their heads up their backends. If they do, it's gonna get right ugly right quick.

I'm tired of the gubment giving my money (taxpayer funds) to firms that are going under due to inept management, poor decisions, and/or greed. It goes way back and, in my way of thinking, it's time to let the whole thing settle out. If you can make it in business, good for you. If you can't....well, I hope you don't take a bunch of gullible folks down with you.

It's time for accountability, not bailouts.

dj

I hope no one takes this personal. It's my opinion on what the financial market is doing and how to fix it. I may be dumb and naive, but I believe in simple solutions. Even when there will be complex repercussions.

fwiw

dj

Yep, it goes way back... all the way to the great depression. It's not like the bailout of an auto maker that just serves to prop up the competition. The failure of a bank or insurance giant has far reaching implications for the economy and individuals and cannot be allowed to happen. Now, it's a darn shame it had to get to the point of a bailout. We've been around this block before. We're not learning from our mistakes.

The Masters of the Universe have screwed the pooch. They can nationalize Fannie and Freddie, stall the total collapse of AIG (by tossing in $85 Billion), the problem is there are many dozens of more huge financial institutions in the wings ready to go the way of the dinosaur. Washington Mutual is about to become a penny stock.

These folks are all interconnected. And how about the Commercial lending market? Anybody think they haven't made the same quality of loans in that market segment? Nobody is dealing with that one yet.

What is it now? $900 Billion in bailouts in the last two months was mentioned on the mornings national news....

This is going to be a rough ride.

Edited by Viggen

I'm tired of the gubment giving my money (taxpayer funds) to firms that are going under due to inept management, poor decisions, and/or greed. ...It's time for accountability, not bailouts.

dj

I concur wholeheartedly... taking money from those without a say {taxpayers} is flipping weak and wrong headed. :(

I hope no one takes this personal.

I don't take it personally...I'm just a network guy behind the scenes that keeps the transactions safe and secured. :)

• 2 weeks later...