Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube

DogmaDog

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about killing primers.  I told a friend of mine about lubing his cases before he reloaded them.  He asked about what happens if the case lube gets inside the case, will it kill the primer.  So we took some primers, liberally coated them with lube and seated them in the cases.  We also filled a few cases with lube and let it dry overnight.  Everything fired without problems the next day.

I'm not saying you can kill primers by using case lube. That has never been my experience, and I appreciate the improved ease of operation on the loading machine that the case lube provides. But I would no more touch a primer with my naked finger and then load it into my ammo that I'd cut my throat with a rusty butter knife.

I'd give more credit to the "finger oil deactivating primers" bit if I had ever experienced the phenomena even once.  I handle my primers pretty frequently - especially when I have a jam or primer misfeed.  I have yet to ever have one primer related squib over 15+ years and who knows how many thousand rounds.  

If it truly was a problem, one would think it could be reliably replicated.  That said, I plan to keep picking up my primers with my fingers.  (Yup, I'm just a wild man.)

E

• 2 months later...

I like to use 50/50% of extra virgin olive oil and rubbing achohol.  Works great for rifle and and pistol. Does it kill primers?  I don't know.  I am pretty careful.  put it in a squirt bottle shake well and spray.  Just get the good olive oil, make sure it doesn't have to be put in the fridge after you open it or iit will go bad.  I use this on my rifles but not much on pistol

Olive oil? That sounds like a "Philmont Solution"; in fact, when I worked as a paid Philmont staffer in the 80s, the interpretive camps that demonstrated black powder shooting used something similar - the staff would give each scout a .50 cal cloth patch, instruct them to put it in their mouth, and then show the group how to load a black powder rifle; when it came time for the scout to shoot, he'd take the slobery patch out of his mouth and load up the balck powder rifle - with saliva as the patch lube! Neat trick, but kinda gross. Glad I worked in the conservation dept. instead.

The advantage of Hornady OneShot is that it forms an extremely thin film and then dries to an almost undetectable coating;on loaded rounds it does not atract dust or dirt like other lubes out there. Leave it on and go compete.

While I have not tried olive oil, I would think one would want to tumble the extra oil off the loaded rounds before taking them to the match (you read right: tumble loaded rounds, guese I like to live on the edge). Good trick to know in a pinch though; thanks.  Regards,

D.

I'm not using Hornady One-Shot - though I probably should be. I don't like tumbling loaded rounds. If you're running lead, and your tumbling media is at all dirty, enough tumbling to remove the lube will leave a dirty black coating on your bullets. I clean the casings, lube, then run them up the resizing die, after which I pull them out of the machine and it's into the vibratory case cleaner, tumble them to remove the lube, then just store for future use. This gives me a supply of clean, deprimed, resized, lubeless brass. Since most of the effort required in loading is resizing the case, separating out this step makes things a LOT easier on your wrist and elbow during long loading sessions.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 11:18 am on Oct. 24, 2002)

My two cents as a long-time One-Shot user and loaded round tumbler:

You don't have to tumble (or wipe) the lube off the rounds. I do it only because the lube is a bit tacky and gets my hands dirty when I load mags. I don't like dirty hands when I shoot. And psychologically, I want my .355 Sooper rounds slick as snot on teflon so they strip off the mags, I don't want them tacky. However, everything worked fine before I started tumbling the One-Shot off the rounds.

• 3 months later...

Heya,

I have some of Dillon's case lube, which is just lanolin (a wax) mixed with rubbing alcohol (a volatile solvent).  Seems like a very simple mixture.  Seems like I could duplicate it cheaply if I knew where to get lanolin.  

I've seen Hornady One Shot mentioned as the best case lube.  What is it made of?  Why is it so much better than other lubes?

Anybody tried any more readily available products that might have similar properties (like floor waxes, or some such)?

Comments?

DD