Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Bill in MS

Stage 3

JACKSON, MS -- Advocates of immigrants are asking Gov. Haley Barbour to veto a bill they say targets Hispanics.

Former state Rep. Erik Fleming of the Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance said Wednesday the legislation would penalize businesses and criminalize workers.

The bill would require employers to use the U.S. Homeland Security electronic verification system to check whether new hires are legal residents. Employers who hire illegal immigrants are subject to losing their business license for a year and any state contract work for up to three years.

Any illegal immigrant found working in the state could face a one year prison sentence and a fine of up to $10,000.

Barbour spokesman Pete Smith said the governor likely will sign the bill. The governor has until Monday to act.

-- Associated Press

• 2 weeks later...

I always get bent around the axle with this stuff. It won't penalize immigrant workers, it would penalize ILLEGAL immigrant workers. With ILLEGAL (i.e. breaking the law, criminal) being the key word. Lord people, get with the program. OK, let me stop before I start.................. I hope it passes!+1,000,000

JACKSON, MS -- Advocates of immigrants are asking Gov. Haley Barbour to veto a bill they say targets Hispanics.

So, if they claim the bill targets Hispanics, they are also saying that all illegals are Hispanics.

I think such a bill targets people in the country illegally and the enablers who make it lucerative for them to be here illegally.

But I'm prejudiced being that I live in a state that is $50 BILLION in debt and serving as a welfare state for about 10 million illegals on any given day.

Not that I'm saying they don't stimulate the economy..... it's really essential that the car wash owners and roofers can get people to work for $3/hour. And the state cost of bilingual education for all their kids and state paid medical care for their extended families can't compare to the hundreds of dollars the car was owner saves in salary costs.... :blink:

Interesting to see if it passes.

Out here in kali we passed a law on the ballot requiring that our state funded schools and hospitals, DMV, etc ask to see legal papers before providing services which are taxpayer funded.

THEY ALL REFUSED TO COMPLY.

The law was eventually struck down, but they flatly said they would never do it anyway.

Edited by bountyhunter

"Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free..." Guess we need to erase that...

No need to erase it. Worked for my ancestors when they came here legally, and it still works for people who come here legally.

"Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free..." Guess we need to erase that...

I have no problem with this statement, as long as you do it legally. I have no problems with immigrants. My grandparents were immigrants, they just did it through legal channels.

Our problem is the "illegal" part that seems to get skipped over by most supporters.

No need to erase it. Worked for my ancestors when they came here legally, and it still works for people who come here legally.

For all those folks whose ancestors came her a long time ago, yeah, mine too, but the laws were a lot easier back then...if you got here and you were still breathing, you were in.k

It seems kind of simplistic for our ancestors to have come here, change the rules to make it a lot harder, then smugly say, "yeah, well *my* ancestors did it legally..."

For all those folks whose ancestors came her a long time ago, yeah, mine too, but the laws were a lot easier back then...if you got here and you were still breathing, you were in.k

It seems kind of simplistic for our ancestors to have come here, change the rules to make it a lot harder, then smugly say, "yeah, well *my* ancestors did it legally..."

They still had to come through Ellis Island or another processing place and complete the proper paperwork. Like it or not there are still laws and they need to be enforced. If you do not like the current immigration laws then you should run for office and try to change the laws.

They still had to come through Ellis Island or another processing place and complete the proper paperwork. Like it or not there are still laws and they need to be enforced. If you do not like the current immigration laws then you should run for office and try to change the laws.

Sure they were still processed, but it was easier. In fact, with the homestead act passed in the 1860's people were actually encouraged to come here. As for running for office, maybe someday, but federal law currently prohibits me from doing so.

Edited by mpolans