Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

White T-Shirt = Triangle of Death for Cops

I saw this on Michael Bane's blog and thought I should pass it along to all our members who are or know uniformed officers.

Interesting Take on Low Light Shootings

Please read the article but essentially the contrast between a dark uniform shirt and a crisp white t-shirt provides a very clear aiming point for a perpetrator.

I'd encourage any officers out there to switch to dark undershirts if allowable by your department and to give them this article if they require the white undershirt.

Stay safe!

John

I saw this on Michael Bane's blog and thought I should pass it along to all our members who are or know uniformed officers.

Interesting Take on Low Light Shootings

Please read the article but essentially the contrast between a dark uniform shirt and a crisp white t-shirt provides a very clear aiming point for a perpetrator.

I'd encourage any officers out there to switch to dark undershirts if allowable by your department and to give them this article if they require the white undershirt.

Stay safe!

John

The Miss Highway Patrol was doing videos of training and we spotted the white triangle of death you mentioned while conducting some night training. This was in the mid 1980's and the decision was made to furnish dark blue Tee Shirts for uniformity. Prior to that troopers were required to wear white and furnish them themsleves. The dark blue Tee's are still standard issue.

No offense to anybody's blog/books/website but I really don't see that white triangle as an issue.

Maybe the bright shoulder patches.

Or the bright badge.

Or that officers (even when issued) don't always wear vests

Or that officers don't train with their weapons

Or that officers walk around in condition white

Or that on top of that white triangle is that big flesh colored melon.

The triangle....with all due respect....is just another one of those things that people bring up when they don't have anything else to talk about. Kinda like a debate about Weaver v. Isoceles or another magazine article about the Glock 17.

FY42385

Put a stage out there with the Triangle of death as a scoring zone and see how many zero the stage!

We have a club that runs targets similar to that from time to time. They will sometimes add a "helmet" to the targets as well. (hard cover in the head zone, except for the A-box and the Bravo area below it)

Those usually show up on 3-gun...for the rifle targets under 50y, but I've seen them on pistol too.

I know that is different than what is beig talked about here...just an interesting thread drift/fyi.

A friend / gun smith told me several years ago that many of the gun writers fire their shots off the typwriter and never even test what they say they do.

I did see a photo of a gun with a that was tested with scope X and in the photo of the test gun the scope was mounted backwards. :blink:

Time to design the "Triangle of Death" stage, which is probably as simple as the El Prez with everything painted hard cover and a white triangle over that last, exposed swatch of A/C. Get ready for hit factors to go through the roof! :P

No offense to anybody's blog/books/website but I really don't see that white triangle as an issue.

Or the bright badge.

The triangle....with all due respect....is just another one of those things that people bring up when they don't have anything else to talk about. Kinda like a debate about Weaver v. Isoceles or another magazine article about the Glock 17.

FY42385

Mouth-breathing... This is no S&!), and a pet peeve of mine. Smacked more than one agent in the back of the head for this one.

(slight thread drift on)

In other news today, St. Louis cop runs out of ammo and has his cruiser stolen.

(drift off)

The other night after having read this thread I did see a cop walking back to his cruiser after giving somebody a ticket.

That shiney badge is too dang bright.

He might as well have a neon sign with an arrow that says "My ticker is here. Point and shoot."

Or the bright badge.

Or using Orbit Chewing Gum! :D

:goof: