Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Law Enforcement Tactical 3 Gun

The Tactical Police Competition is now in the books. Officers from 5 different states competed over 6 courses of fire totaling over 175 rounds. From what I saw everyone walked away with smiles on their faces. Some were asking when the next event will be held.

I would like to take an opportunity to thank the members of Collin County IDPA club for hosting the event. Without them this event would not have been possible. Their hard work and dedication showed as we finished well ahead of schedule. All the staff who worked on the stages had an opportunity to shoot the match on Friday for bragging rights. I did not see any of them walking away without a smile on their face.

Scores were posted quickly, stages cleaned up, awards and prizes were passed out with everyone ready to leave the range by 3pm. Excellent work.

To all the competitors who came out for the match, I hope that you had fun and we look forward to seeing you at another event in the near future with a co-worker in tow. To the CCIDPA, thanks again for your hard work and we look forward to working with you in the future.

Stay safe,

Larry Houck

TPC

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching this thread over the past few weeks without any comment. After having the opportunity to RO/SO at the first TPC match (as a “civilian”) hearing the thoughts (appreciation and thanks) and comments from shooters, I say it was time well spent. The scoring and engagement protocol is different than both USPSA and/or IDPA (very heavy penalties for inaccurate shooting); however, it is yet another way to send lead down range. I would like to thank everyone that has put effort into getting LEO’s into the shooting sports and congratulate the winners, many that won today participate currently in either IDPA and/or USPSA, the rest will follow (if you knew what was on the prize table today you would know why).

The Tactical Police Competition is now in the books. Officers from 5 different states competed over 6 courses of fire totaling over 175 rounds. From what I saw everyone walked away with smiles on their faces. Some were asking when the next event will be held.

I would like to take an opportunity to thank the members of Collin County IDPA club for hosting the event. Without them this event would not have been possible. Their hard work and dedication showed as we finished well ahead of schedule. All the staff who worked on the stages had an opportunity to shoot the match on Friday for bragging rights. I did not see any of them walking away without a smile on their face.

Scores were posted quickly, stages cleaned up, awards and prizes were passed out with everyone ready to leave the range by 3pm. Excellent work.

To all the competitors who came out for the match, I hope that you had fun and we look forward to seeing you at another event in the near future with a co-worker in tow. To the CCIDPA, thanks again for your hard work and we look forward to working with you in the future.

Stay safe,

Larry Houck

TPC

It was truly a great opportunity for Collin County IDPA to host this event for the NRA. Marc Lipp and Larry Houck of the NRA worked as hard as we did to get the stages set up and make sure this event supporting our law enforcement officers went smoothly. The next club that hosts an NRA TPC event can expect these gentlemen to give you all the support you need. Larry Houck has to be one of the best stage designers, builders, and hard workers I've seen in a long time and it was a pleasure to work with him. CCIDPA designed the stages for this match, Marc and Larry modified them to better suit LE scenarios...As Mr. Morris stated the scoring was different but was also easy for our SO's to learn and to adapt our scoring program.

Collin County IDPA and it's members are proud to have been associated with this 1st NRA TPC match and we certainly recommend that any shooting club/range with the resources put forth the effort to help out with this worthy endeavor.

It is a great thing to give back to those that serve us.

Cody Ray

Collin County IDPA

Edited by Sailor

Larry,

AWESOME!

It's about time!

What a great opportunity!

When and if the chance presents itself I will lobby our local club for support and help out all that I can. Many folks know how strongly I support the LE and Military community and I know first hand many of the shortcomings, misconceptions and unique challenges that each side faces. This is an excellant chance to help to bridge the gap and serve our communities indirectly. While not likely, it would certainly be much more comfort to me if I knew every LE Officer that responded to a call was for example a "B" class shooter..... or when I was deployed this past year that every Soldier in support of the training mission I had was an avid and competant 3 gunner in the "B" class range.

On a personel note, the question has already been raised at my local level regarding another issue. What catagory (other than "rode hard and put up wet") does an Active Department of Defense Civilian specifically assigned to train Military Police Special Operations fit into? I say since I'm once again deployable then it's Active Duty Military?

Any chance we could see some courses of fire and results from the match. Where are the scores posted?

Met with the web folks here at the NRA today. Design is in the works. On the web you will be able to find information about TPC, upcoming events, rules (we call them standards), equipment, frequently asked questions, match photos with results and what you need if you want to host a match.

I will be working on additional standards (adding clarity) and host range packages to help the information flow. We learned a great deal with the first match actually on the ground. The guys at CCIDPA gave us some ideas which will help make the program go forward.

Stay tuned,

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Just locked in a few more dates for up coming LE events.

May 31, 2008 - San Diego, CA

June 21, 2008 - Fairfax, VA

Aug 10, 2008 - still working on getting it to the central part of the country, talking with a club around Fort Leonard Wood, MO.

You can email me for more details. Once the entry form is completed I will post a copy here.

Thanks, Larry

LHouck@nrahq.org

Attached is the announcement and application for the match in Fairfax, Virginia. I see this being a large match due to the number of LEO's in the area that shoot. Do not delay getting your match application in for this one.

Larry

OK THE FILE WILL NOT UPLOAD. EMAIL ME FOR AN APPLICATION

lhouck@nrahq.org

Match date is June 21, 2008. Round count is 196 total over 6 stages. Need range officer help as well. Contact me for details.

Larry

Edited by sbmd

• 3 weeks later...

The San Diego match announcement and registration form is attached.....finally figured out what the problem was.

Match date: May 31, 2008

Time: 8am - 4:30pm

Host Club: San Diego Shooters

We have some great course planned that will be fun and exciting!

You can register on the phone with a credit card by calling 703-267-1632, saves time and be sure to get a slot!

San_Diego_NRA__TPC_Match_Registration__4_23_2008.pdf

San_Diego_Match_NRA_TPC_Announcement_Compressed__4_23_2008.pdf

Edited by sbmd

Match Announcement......

NRA Tactical Police Competitions Event - Fairfax

Date: Saturday June 21, 2008

Time: 0800 - 1630

Stages: 7 total, 1-3 gun, 2 - pistol, 2 - rifle, 1 - shotgun and 1 - handgun/shotgun

Rounds: approximately 233 combined

Questions or to register call: 703-267-1632

Fairfax_TPC_Registration___4_26_2008.pdf

Edited by sbmd

Is there any chance of applying something along the lines of the Governor's 20 thing to this?

Not sure, however we can take it into consideration. The only difficulty I see is that the no two courses of fire are the same, so how would we set the standard...any suggestions?

Not really...maybe use a classifier system like USPSA and average scores annually? The only reason I ask is that I am currently trying to get my departments shooting team started back up and from what I have seen most cops will not pay there own money to shoot. Most consider it akin to paying to work. It seems that departments will only really pay for there cops to compete against other cops, largely for bragging rights and recruitment purposes. If my chief can say "5 of last years Governors 20 were my guys" instead of he is more likely to fund a team.

Not really...maybe use a classifier system like USPSA and average scores annually? The only reason I ask is that I am currently trying to get my departments shooting team started back up and from what I have seen most cops will not pay there own money to shoot. Most consider it akin to paying to work. It seems that departments will only really pay for there cops to compete against other cops, largely for bragging rights and recruitment purposes. If my chief can say "5 of last years Governors 20 were my guys" instead of he is more likely to fund a team.

To fund a team...simple, you don't need a classification. That would require additional resources, national courses of fire to be set up exactly the same each time and a database to house it in much like USPSA.

Try this approach....the TPC events are scenario or skills based thus allowing for additional training with all three weapons systems that a patrol officer would have access to utilize. Then there are the bragging rights as well since everyone competes heads up. The other thought as well is that we plan to make the courses of fire available on line in PDF format that anyone can down load and set up on thier range with minimal props and time. This then creates an additional training tool and opportunity.

Sell the training aspect and not a classification number....for we all know that someone can play the system and there is no equality.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to attend this match. I have been running leo 3 gun matches for the last 5 years. I run hot ranges and try to keep the couses of fire realistic so there is no way to game them. I wish there were more leo matches out there. What Kurt said about the skill level of the average leo is about on Par. Some are better some are not. Perhaps I missed it in the thread but where is the information about when this match is going to happen and where and how much.

Pat