Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What has Happened to Gunsamerica.com

EricW

I hate what Gunsamerica.com has metastasized into. It used to be a great place to find deals on used guns in your area. I've bought several shotguns off there, all at super deals.

Now, it's SPAM-listing-ville. It's nothing but a bunch of ads by a very few regional FFLs who distill down Davidson's catalog to create ads for every model of gun in the universe, whether they actually have it in stock or not. It's really irritating. I'm not begrudging the site owner's success, but it's gone from bad-website-execution-with-great-content to glamour-site-with-no-content.

And gunbroker.com is no better IMO.

:(

And what's with having to 'log in to view full size photos'? When did that happen?

It used to be great...now it really blows. Hard to navigate and most of the good deals are scammers since there is no feedback system. It doesn't work well either, the sort function is very tempermental, cookies don't stay turned on, email function doesn't always work..lots of issues..

Gunbroker is quickly becomeing my favorite place outside of a few select forums to browse these days. Its too bad, because Gunsamerica was really a simple, one stop shop where I got some crazy deals in the past. Gunbroker fees can be steep too.

Guns America had a big booth at the Shot Show trying to get people to sign up for their new pushes:

they want to host your store web site with ecommerce support

they want you to use their credit card processor ( Electronic Transfer Inc)

they want to charge you to list your store / FFL on their site ( GB does it free, amongst others)

they want you to advertise on their web site via pay per click advertising ( the largest black hole of ad dollars on the net).

All I can remember now. We also got a call from one of their reps on Friday, pushing the credit card processing end of it. Pretty hard sell.

I think they got some new management or owners who are pushing all these new revenue streams.

Gun Broker is still the way to go, if you can avoid the few pushing Davidsons inventory. Those are pretty easy to spot.

and sell or don't ...... $20 please. :surprise:

Yup! That and the requirement to log-in to see big pics sucks. I no longer use them and go to gunbroker.com

I tend to like AuctionArms.com

I'm not so fond of GunsAmerica either.

Bob is correct on GunsAmerica pitching to retailers to process their credit card purchases (the processing fees are very, very, very profitable). They made a big push and spent a lot of cash at 2008 SHOT. They seem to be making a move to bring FFL dealers on-line in a big way and has teamed up with a large wholesaler (not my employer) to up the ante:

http://www.shootingwire.com/

February 27, 2008

GunsAmerica Launches “On Demand” Special Orders With AcuSport

Miami, Florida-- GunsAmerica.com, the premier gun classifieds and online auction site for hunters, shooters, gun collectors, etc... has expanded its services to further support firearms dealers by driving business through their doors.

A new concept in the gun industry has finally come together with the addition of AcuSport to the GunsAmerica “On Demand” program this week. In the vast array of models, options, and now even colors in the firearms industry, it is impossible for the stocking dealer to keep every version of every gun on their shelves. Yet every month a new version is on the covers of magazines and in print ads purchased by the consumer. “There is consumer demand” says Paul Helinski, founder of GunsAmerica, “but nobody has the guns. Today’s consumer wants what they want, not half of what they want or most of what they want. If you don’t have the gun in stock the consumer will either buy nothing, or find a way to buy the gun”.

That is why GunsAmerica has launched On Demand. It is a part of a unique platform built into the new website to support the stocking “brick and mortar” dealer. AcuSport is the only distributor that requires a picture of your brick and mortar store on file, so they were a natural match to launch the program. Dealers will not be limited to fulfilling orders through AcuSport, but until other distributors come into the system, they will only be permissioned through AcuSport for now.

Participation in the program is free. Once permissioned via their FFL number by a distributor, the dealer simply signs up through their normal GunsAmerica account and selects which guns they want to take orders for “On Demand”. Fees are simple and the same as all standard GunsAmerica after sale fees, ten dollars for most guns. The key to the system is a “Minimum Advertised Price” (MAP). “Everyone who does not have the actual gun in hand will be advertising the same gun for the same price, to prevent bottom feeding,” explains Helinski. “That way the stocking dealer does not have to undercut his shelf price with an online price and our industry does not get devalued by dealers with no overhead costs.”

Several manufacturers are in the pipeline providing data on all of their SKUs, and the program should be ready for orders with the first manufacturers being Mossberg, Remington, SIG SAUER and Kahr within a few weeks. Stocking dealers should contact AcuSport to be permissioned in the system and an E-Mail Blast will be sent to the existing AcuSport dealers this week.

GunsAmerica.com has over one million devoted and passionate gun enthusiasts using their website services every month. GunsAmerica understands their customers and are as equally passionate about their 2nd Amendment rights.

Any dealer worth their salt, has three, four, or five wholesalers to buy from. Most often the problem is the manufacturer doesn't have the product to ship.

Edited by Middle Man

Here's some more fun I received today:

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL GUNSAMERICA FRAUD ALERT

Do NOT send payment to anyone asking you to use TRUSTe.

If the price of an item is unusually low - be suspicious.

If you suspect fraud, email GunsAmerica customer service.

There is a group of con artists who are targeting buyers on private selling sites such as GunsAmerica.

These frauds advertise items they do not have, take your money, then never deliver.

One very common ploy they use is to send an email to you telling you about TRUSTe secure payments.

They will also try to convince you that GunsAmerica has approved payment through TRUSTe.

This is a scam!!

They will also tell you GunsAmerica has a payment protection program or buyer protection plan - this is not true.

We can not and do not have a payment protection program.

HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF:

Be sure to read our FAQs on FRAUDS & SCAMS.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/FAQ.htm#fraudscams

Most scams of this type will be selling items at a very low price.

Always question a deal that seems too good to be true - because it probably isn't true.

Always get the seller's first and last name, address, phone number, and the name of the FFL who will be shipping to your FFL (if applicable).

If the seller does not want to give you the FFL info, he must at least give it to your FFL dealer before you make payment.

Always check a seller's name, address, and phone number in known databases (white pages, USPS.com, etc.).

NEVER send payment using MoneyGram or wire transfers - they are almost always used by scammers.

If you do not feel comfortable, if something doesn't feel right - do NOT deal with that person.

If you suspect fraud please send an email to customerservice@gunsamerica.com - be sure to give us the GA Listing Number.

Customer Service

www.GunsAmerica.com

I'm not so fond of GunsAmerica either.

Bob is correct on GunsAmerica pitching to retailers to process their credit card purchases (the processing fees are very, very, very profitable). They made a big push and spent a lot of cash at 2008 SHOT. They seem to be making a move to bring FFL dealers on-line in a big way and has teamed up with a large wholesaler (not my employer) to up the ante:

http://www.shootingwire.com/

February 27, 2008

GunsAmerica Launches “On Demand” Special Orders With AcuSport

Miami, Florida-- GunsAmerica.com, the premier gun classifieds and online auction site for hunters, shooters, gun collectors, etc... has expanded its services to further support firearms dealers by driving business through their doors.

A new concept in the gun industry has finally come together with the addition of AcuSport to the GunsAmerica “On Demand” program this week. In the vast array of models, options, and now even colors in the firearms industry, it is impossible for the stocking dealer to keep every version of every gun on their shelves. Yet every month a new version is on the covers of magazines and in print ads purchased by the consumer. “There is consumer demand” says Paul Helinski, founder of GunsAmerica, “but nobody has the guns. Today’s consumer wants what they want, not half of what they want or most of what they want. If you don’t have the gun in stock the consumer will either buy nothing, or find a way to buy the gun”.

That is why GunsAmerica has launched On Demand. It is a part of a unique platform built into the new website to support the stocking “brick and mortar” dealer. AcuSport is the only distributor that requires a picture of your brick and mortar store on file, so they were a natural match to launch the program. Dealers will not be limited to fulfilling orders through AcuSport, but until other distributors come into the system, they will only be permissioned through AcuSport for now.

Any dealer worth their salt, has three, four, or five wholesalers to buy from. Most often the problem is the manufacturer doesn't have the product to ship.

Ain't that the truth, we deal with at least 6 major distributors and when one does not have the hot product , none of them do.

I had not heard about this new push by GA. Funny thing is, its nothing new, Davidsons has had the same thing with their Gold dealers for years. Davidsons does allow you to set the pricing so if I want to mark up a gun 1% or 40% I can. Makes a lot more sense than this GA thing with MAP pricing. They will have 50 dealers selling the same gun for the exact same price.

The salesguy called back today about their credit card processing, I think they have some pretty aggressive targets.

David,

how could you tell they were going to use a fake money order?

Because they followed the scam to the letter:

1) They insisted on paying via a money order.

2) They said that they had their own shipper lined up and that I was to use them.

3) They said that the money order was for more money that I was asking, b/c they owed someone else money, and would I be a pal and cash the money order and remit the difference to the person they owed the money to.

When it was time for them to send the money order, I had them sent it to the local USSS office.

David,

how could you tell they were going to use a fake money order?

Because they followed the scam to the letter:

1) They insisted on paying via a money order.

2) They said that they had their own shipper lined up and that I was to use them.

3) They said that the money order was for more money that I was asking, b/c they owed someone else money, and would I be a pal and cash the money order and remit the difference to the person they owed the money to.

When it was time for them to send the money order, I had them sent it to the local USSS office.

Hmm, #3 would be the tip off for me. We take a lot of money orders and only for the amount due. Thanks, was curious as to what got your attention.

Hmm, #3 would be the tip off for me. We take a lot of money orders and only for the amount due. Thanks, was curious as to what got your attention.

For those of you not familiar, the scam works like this: A buyer is interested in your product. They say they want to pay by money order or a cashiers check. They also say that they owe Person A $x amount of money and for you to cash the money order and remit the extra money to Person A via wire transfer. You go along with it and after cashing the check wire transfer the extra money to Person A. However, a week or so later, your bank informs you that the money order is counterfeit and you now owe the bank $5,000 for the overdraft on your account. There have been instances, where the innocent person seeking to deposit the counterfeit check, has been arrested by the police for fraud while at the bank. More info on the scam here.

The way banks work now, after 3-5 days, the bank will make the deposit money available to you, even if the money order / check you deposited hasn't fully cleared.

With so many bad checks out there and outright fraud, if your business accepts checks, the best practice is probably for you to wait 10 - 15 days after depositing a check to make sure that the check clears before delivering anything (unless you 100% know your customer, i.e. know their full name and address).