Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Problems

I did a quick search but could not find the same issue. On my 550 when loading small pistol primers all works well. But if I switch over to the large pistol the primers will, on occassion, pop a primer from the primer cup out as I am raising the handle. I took the z shape rod out and work the prime station by hand and the problem does not happen as frequently. Other than the loose nut on the handle what do I need to look at?.. I have been using a Dillon for some 10 years or so. Thanx rdd

Me too. :angry2: Seems to happen when case hangs on powder die and I not so gently bring the handle up/plunger down. If I'm careful when backing the powder die out of the case, there's less chance of a seismic event to make the primer hop out of the cup, FWIW.

I may have answered my own question. I found an extra large primer plastic tip and replaced the old one on the primer tube. It seems to be working now, I just have to go slow so I don't get the primers to flip sideways. May have to slick up the primer bar a smidge. :mellow:

I may have answered my own question. I found an extra large primer plastic tip and replaced the old one on the primer tube. It seems to be working now, I just have to go slow so I don't get the primers to flip sideways. May have to slick up the primer bar a smidge. :mellow:

If the primer slide is hanging up at all, clean it thoroughly and apply a small amount of powdered graphite underneath it, absolutely no oil or grease. I get my graphite at the hardware store in the lock section.

Make sure the primer slide is taking the cup about .030" PAST the tip of the magazine tube, if you don't you will have problems. It needs to be adjusted a couple times when switching primer sizes, after that you can find a happy medium for both large and small primers.

It's probably not a bad idea to keep posting my 550 priming system adjustment notes (from a conversation with Gary at Dillon) in these threads.

Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.

At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

It's probably not a bad idea to keep posting my 550 priming system adjustment notes (from a conversation with Gary at Dillon) in these threads.

Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

Brian,

I see some people advise the use of powdered graphite on the primer slide and others (you also) advise to leave it dry. Currently I leave the slide dry and just try to keep it clean, have you tried graphite before?

Thanks

Brian,

I see some people advise the use of powdered graphite on the primer slide and others (you also) advise to leave it dry. Currently I leave the slide dry and just try to keep it clean, have you tried graphite before?

Thanks

I never used graphite (or anything). And those tips are from Gary at Dillon (who posts here as Dillon) and is the absolute Dillon troubleshooting MOTU (Master of the Universe).

Brian,

Thanks

I think it really depends on your particular press. My 550 slide will not run reliably without a little graphite. I also use a bit to smooth out the movement of the powder bar on the dillon measures. These are all spots that are a little under engineered in my opinion and depending on the parts and frame castings in your press, it may help.

Brian,

Thanks

I think it really depends on your particular press. My 550 slide will not run reliably without a little graphite. I also use a bit to smooth out the movement of the powder bar on the dillon measures. These are all spots that are a little under engineered in my opinion and depending on the parts and frame castings in your press, it may help.

I've also found that knocking the sharp corners off the primer bar helps smooth out the action.

Bronson7

Brian,

Thanks

I never used graphite (or anything). And those tips are from Gary at Dillon (who posts here as Dillon) and is the absolute Dillon troubleshooting MOTU (Master of the Universe).

So what does Gary at dillon suggest for a 550 primer system/bar that will not run smoothly and binds occasionally? Been through lots of replaced primer slides and other parts with dillon support over the years to arrive at this solution. If I had a dollar for each hour of my time wasted tweeking this design to run reliably....... :)

Edited by ipscbob

So what does Gary at dillon suggest for a 550 primer system/bar that will not run smoothly and binds occasionally? Been through lots of replaced primer slides and other parts with dillon support over the years to arrive at this solution. If I had a dollar for each hour of my time wasted tweeking this design to run reliably....... :)

Bob,

Call him: 1 800 223-4570 - I'm sure he'll have something for you. Especially if you can be in front of the press while the slide is binding.

be

Brian,

Thanks

Point taken. Thanks.

Well, point is I have been through this many times over the last 3 years with dillon support. They have sent me many replacement slides and each tech I have talked to has a different way to fix this. The real fix would involve more than tweaking or replacing slides until you find a combonation of parts that work together well.

ipscbob,

If you remove the operating rod and manually cycle the primer slide, does it move smoothly and freely, or do you feel any grabbing, binding, etc?

If so, is it consistant or only at one point? :ph34r:

ok, first thanks to b.e. and gary for all the helpful hints for the primer issues. i had similar issues but now they are fixed due to the information posted here. :D

Edited by dr2e