Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Newbie on the firing line

Ruger_Newbie

Hi all,

I am 25 years old and have been shooting since I was 11 years old and just a few months ago I got the chance to shoot my brother's Walther P22 and got hooked into the crazy and chaotic world we know of pistols. I have watched the various competitions on tv over the years and decided to give action shooting a chance. I went to my local range and started talking with the owner and a few of the people there and they helped me out a lot, they seemed very knowledgable, and very trustworthy and down to earth people. I ended up purchasing a Ruger P95DC 9mm pistol that was used. I got a great deal on it. It came with a Blackhawk duty belt, double mag pouch, holster, and the 2 10 round mags that came with the gun and 2 15 round mags all for $300 plus tax and fees, u know got to pay Uncle Sam and the evil Ed Rendell his portion lol. Well the gun is great I love it. I have put over 300 rounds through it in a weeks time. The range offers classes for beginners and also private instruction. I decided that with my busy work schedule the private instruction was the way for me to go and I am going for my first session tomorrow. The range has their own action shoots the 1st and 3rd Monday night of every month and I get to shoot that for the first time on March 3rd. Also one of the neat things is that the Sportsmans Club I belong to the person who runs the USPSA portion is also one of the employees at the pistol range helping the owner out part time. The club is having a new shooters orientation on the 29th of march and i get to shoot my first match on the next day. I can't wait I plan on using my Ruger to shoot in the production division. My question is this: Is there any advice u could give a new shooter on shooting the action matches and any modifications that i could do to my Ruger to make it a little more competitive, within the legal boundaries of the rules of course. Any help would be appreciated and I would like to thank you all for the help in advance. I have learned so much just by surfing through the forum here.

Ruger_Newbie out

:cheers:

Welcome to the forums and to competitive shooting. A whole new world of skills and understanding will be opening up soon.

Go out and shoot some matches. Then shoot some more, try out different disciplines USPSA, IDPA, steel challenge, ext.

Don't worry about modifying your Ruger yet, just shoot and have fun then decide what discipline and class you like and go from there.

Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about any changes to the gun just yet. I would get one more mag and another double mag pouch or two singles so that you can have four on your belt and one in the gun to start. You don't often need that many, but it sometimes comes in handy...like if you drop a mag or one/two get knocked out of the pouch (trust me, it happens!). You definitely want at the very minimum three on the belt because many courses require 30-32 rounds so that's two mag changes at the very least and you'll have a spare on the belt just in case.

In the beginning force yourself to walk the stages rather than run. Try to get two A's on every target because accuracy and points are where it's at. Speed will come later. Find out who the better shooters are and watch what they do closely. If you see them do something and you're not sure why, go ahead and ask them when you get a chance. Most will be more than happy to share anything they know to help you. Frequently, they'll be happy to walk through a stage with you (during the walk through time) and explain where you should go, when you should reload etc....this makes a big difference. After you have a plan, go through it in your head until you know exactly what you're going to do....then when it's your turn to shoot, do exactly that and don't change even if you have a great idea at the last minute (guaranteed way to mess up!).

I think you'll find most people at matches will go way out of their way to make you feel welcome and help you so that you have a good time and come back for the next match...it's sort of a tradition and probably unique in most competitive sports. Have fun! :D

Welcome!! You are in one of the best places on the net to improve your shooting.

You might consider doing some serious dry-firing to improve you skills. Never forget the search button, you can get hours upon hours of reading done like that. Most of the stuff is more than just good.

I started shooting firstly to improve my skills and secondly to enjoy myself. Now it is pure enjoyment and that is why I shoot so many competitions(more than 40 planned for this year). I also use this to get over the worst of the "brain fade at the beep" that many(me included) seem to suffer from.

Hi all,

My question is this: Is there any advice u could give a new shooter on shooting the action matches and any modifications that i could do to my Ruger to make it a little more competitive, within the legal boundaries of the rules of course. Any help would be appreciated and I would like to thank you all for the help in advance. I have learned so much just by surfing through the forum here.

Ruger_Newbie out

:cheers:

Welcome to the forum and to the sport. I started 1 year and 1 week ago and I started in production with a P95DC. If you are new to pistols I would say stick with the p95dc for now. It is very accurate and you need to practice accuracy first. I've been told on several occasions that speed will come. They weren't lying. It does come. Maybe not soon enough to your liking but it does come. As others have said, take your time, get your hits and have fun.

As for making the p95 more competitive, at this stage, I wouldn't worry about it. Shoot it as is and learn the sport. There is much to learn. With that said, I no longer shoot the ruger and switched to a glock 35. I liked the first shot trigger pull of the glock compared to the DA pull of the ruger. Mag changes are also easier for me with the glock. The ruger mag release is too far forward for me and I had to rotate the pistol too far to press it.

Edited by pas44

Welcome to the best action shooting resource period. I can't add anything to what has already been said except that I too will say I wouldn't do any mods to the gun for awhile. There is nothing wrong with your gun and you love it but chances are :rolleyes: you may decide you want one of those bling guns that the good shooters are using :D

DonT