Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ITunes PC Misery and Torture

bountyhunter

So, I got an IPOD and with it the Itunes misery. I have come to terms with that until my wife bought me an ITUNES gift card and I tried to download music.

I am trying to do this on AOL over a phone line, so of course every click of the mouse carries a price of 20 minutes of dead screen as it "loads".

I actually succeeded in downloading a song... that was the "tease part".... and the second song I tied to download triggered the error message that the ITUNES must be upgraded to 7.2 to download.

No explanation as to why the firsy try worked?

So, I go to the free download and guess what... it took a mere SIX HOURS to download the upgrade.

No worries, I just went to bed and in the morning it was done.

Of course, now when I try to download a song, I get the same forking error message as if I didn't download it.

Anybody have any suggestions beyond the one I am already considering which is to set fire to the gift card? Problem with that is, since it's plastic and would emit toxic fumes I would have to burn it ouside and we are locked in an edless torrential rain cycle which has been ongoing for months so it would probably keep going out.

As of now, still can't download any stinking music.

I also have dial-up. It takes a long time to download a song, they are typically 6-9mb in size. My solution is to take my laptop to my favourite coffee-shop that has wi-fi and download all my song choices in a fraction of the time while I sip a nice cup of tea.

If you don't have a lap top then I suggest getting DSL or something.

Maybe your connection is so slow it's timing out and calling it an error? Either way, if you're planning on downloading music, I highly suggest upgrading to cable internet. You'll never want to go back.

It's not timing out. I got the upgrade version of Itunes loaded, and when I tery to isntall it:

It says it can't be installed until the "XP service pack 2" is installed.

So, I have to go download that.

Then I restart.... and the stupid Itunes installer just keeps saying it can't install without service pack 2.

I re-install service pack 2... and the Itunes installer just keeps giving me the same forking error message.

This is such crap. It's absolutely amazing the same people who would shoot somebody for putting a one inch scratch on a new car they buy will happily accept software that is completely buggy and inoperable, not to mention the non existent Microsoft support network that keeps you looping for two hors and then re-assures you they can fix your problem just as soon as you give them the number of the credit card you will be using to pay for it.....

I guess we get what we deserve.

Restart your computer.

Go back to Microsoft and see if it has any more upgrades that you don't yet have.

Sign into the internet using your AOL connection, but then switch over to Internet Explorer to actual surf the web.

Go to Home Depot and get a MAPP gas torch...and burn it all. Cause, if you could get AOL, MS, and Apple to work together...

Restart your computer.

Go back to Microsoft and see if it has any more upgrades that you don't yet have.

Sign into the internet using your AOL connection, but then switch over to Internet Explorer to actual surf the web.

Go to Home Depot and get a MAPP gas torch...and burn it all. Cause, if you could get AOL, MS, and Apple to work together...

It get's very confusing: another site that claimed to have the "service pack 2" had a download that was something like 300 MB.... which I tried to download and gave up after ten hours because it was only about 1/4 done. maybe the first download that ONLY took six hours wasn't the full service pack 2.

What a waste of my life.

Changing to Int Exp doesn't make anything go faster as far as I can tell.

Give someone the gift card and get the free (or paid for) version of Limewire. Download it HERE.

Good Advise!!!

Using Limewire is just like asking for a virus, FYI.

NOT if you buy the Pro version

Maybe so, but you might get a lawsuit from the RIAA instead! Sounds like they are getting ready to file the next batch in the next few months...

Seriously Bountyhunter, sounds like you need to upgrade to Broadband. Maybe one of the local stores in your area has the SP2 discs and will do the install?

My car won't start even though I put a new battery in it.

Answer - buy a new car... Ahhh..no. Not practical for me.

I am sure I also need to upgrade to broadband..yada yada yada.. But in some areas...like mine...it is not available.

I have had Limewire Pro for over a year. Not a single virus. About 1000 songs downloaded. If it stops tomorrow it was a wonderful deal for me. $35.00 for a year for Pro. I can't remember what Itunes charges per song but I think in one day you would be ahead with Limewire.

Just another opinion.... :)

A better analogy for trying to run iTunes over a dial-up connection, would be trying to get your car to run on tap water instead of gasoline. I agree that iTunes is crap software, but if you want to use your gift card you're pretty well stuck with it, and you will never get it to run correctly on a non-broadband connection. Sorry.

Added - the Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade package is about 270MB in size. It's a fairly large download even over a broadband connection. Over a dial-up connection it will take anywhere from 12-18 hours. I suspect that the first one you downloaded might have been, um, not genuine. Did you download it from support.microsoft.com?

- Chris

Give someone the gift card and get the free (or paid for) version of Limewire. Download it HERE.

Good Advise!!!

Using Limewire is just like asking for a virus, FYI.

NOT if you buy the Pro version

Maybe so, but you might get a lawsuit from the RIAA instead! Sounds like they are getting ready to file the next batch in the next few months...

Seriously Bountyhunter, sounds like you need to upgrade to Broadband. Maybe one of the local stores in your area has the SP2 discs and will do the install?

It's my wife's account and upgrading will only happen when her phone service contract expires.

Today I used a ZIP drive to download the FULL (300MB) service pack upgrade at work (took two minutes) and I dumped it onto my PC at home. Now it says it has service pack 2... and I need to reload the ITUNES upgrade. That's going on the ZIP drive and getting dumped tonight.

Seriously... it's insane to expect any performance in your situation out of your current set up. You're only going to frustrate yourself further. You probably need to upgrade your computer as well as your internet connection. In this day and age there are options available for nearly every situation.

If there isn't alternative services available in your area... try something like Verizon's USB broadband modem. If it works well in Frostproof, FL... it's got to be pretty good elsewhere.

My car won't start even though I put a new battery in it.

Answer - buy a new car... Ahhh..no. Not practical for me.

I am sure I also need to upgrade to broadband..yada yada yada.. But in some areas...like mine...it is not available.

I have had Limewire Pro for over a year. Not a single virus. About 1000 songs downloaded. If it stops tomorrow it was a wonderful deal for me. $35.00 for a year for Pro. I can't remember what Itunes charges per song but I think in one day you would be ahead with Limewire.

Just another opinion.... :)

iTunes is about $0.99 per song, do the math, Limewire Pro is the way to go

Seriously... it's insane to expect any performance in your situation out of your current set up. You're only going to frustrate yourself further.

I'm not expecting PERFORMANCE... I am simply expexting to be able to download a stinking MP3 file (as slow as they please) from the stinking website that I am REQUIRED to use to redeem the forking gift card. If it takes ten minutes to download one MP3 song, NO PROBLEM. But, if they just keep giving me error messages telling me I must have their NEW version of Itunes... and then find out it only runs on NEWER versions of XP, THAT SUCKS.

They didn't have to force me to upgrade to use it, they chose to do that. I am running XP and they chose to make their site incompatible with anything without the service pack 2. And also, I have to download a newer version of their Itunes which means even their old version is incompatible with buying now.

They suck. Their service sucks.... their attitude that "oh, well.... everybody buys a new computer every year anyway" REALLY SUCKS.

I am amazed Apple is still in business and I am always amazed people keep buying Microcrap software.

And the frustration continues... :blink:

XP sp2 is over 3 years old... computers and software need to be upgraded (updated)... it's the nature of the beast. My 4 year old $4K laptop is about at it's performance capacity and I'm looking to replace it. That irritates me.

I was tickled to see bell bottoms back in fashion... brings back good childhood memories. ;) I empathize with your situation but really, it's not that difficult to fix. Broadband (or similar) will alleviate a lot of your symptoms.

All else fails... place the giftcard in the microwave for 45 seconds... :D

Restart your computer.

Something to keep in mind is that this is software as designed by government declaration, NOT as designed by Microsoft's choice. When Microsoft did it correctly, the government sued them for monopoly and made them redesign Windows and all future versions so it would work with any other company's software over which MS has no control, thus the mess we're left with. Windows worked just fine when Microsoft was able to dictate the terms of how their software interfaced with other products but of course the government didn't want one company to have so much control and/or make so much money....

I must say I've never had any problems with Apple software. The lack of high-speed internet bugs me, I really need to get some. Every time I need software updates or to download songs I go to the coffee shop and the Wi-Fi access. The size of update files are getting bigger as the software becomes more sophisticated and intuitive.

I can say that at work I get 2-3 Microsoft security fixes etc. every single month. With Apple I typically get 2-3 per year and after installing them my Mac does not get slower like my work PC does.

The lack of high-speed also means I can't download any of Sharyn's vids and that really bugs me... :blush:

Well, after wasting only two days downloading stuff at work onto my 1GB thumb drive (so I can downlaod it in less than 20 hours), I actually got the songs to download....

and I found out the songs I bought are "locked" files I can't adjust volume or equalize, or convert to WAV files so I can play them in my car.

Worthless.

Well, after wasting only two days downloading stuff at work onto my 1GB thumb drive (so I can downlaod it in less than 20 hours), I actually got the songs to download....

and I found out the songs I bought are "locked" files I can't adjust volume or equalize, or convert to WAV files so I can play them in my car.

Worthless.

That's odd. I can adjust volume and equalize on every song I have ever downloaded from iTunes. I can also write them to a CD to play in my car...

That's odd. I can adjust volume and equalize on every song I have ever downloaded from iTunes. I can also write them to a CD to play in my car...

Once you copy a song to a disc - it's no longer locked - correct?