Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40sw 1911 bottom chamber support

mike cyrwus

I haven't measured it. I just polish the ramp and break the sharp edge into the chamber. Polishing is done with a Cratex fine rubberized abrasive.

thanks for the polishing lesson :P

but thats not was I was looking for.

Do you want a number from the front of the extractor groove? What brand of brass, trimmed to what length? A vague question gets vague answers. :devil:

I haven't measured it. I just polish the ramp and break the sharp edge into the chamber. Polishing is done with a Cratex fine rubberized abrasive.

thanks for the polishing lesson :P

but thats not was I was looking for.

Do you want a number from the front of the extractor groove? What brand of brass, trimmed to what length? A vague question gets vague answers. :devil:

touche. :blush:

I was looking at the amount of brass exposed on the bottom of the cartridge when Im chamber checking reloads. Its a finished kart barrel.

I needed to bring the ramp forward to clear the magazine, but want to maintain the angle.

I'm not sure this is what you're trying to accomplish but this is what I do on a ramped barrel for clearance of a magazine. Look at the pics and you'll see that I cut an angle on the bottom of the barrel ramp so that when a mag is inserted into the gun the top front of the mag body does not hit the bottom of the ramp and ding the mag and or the bottom of the ramp. I've seen other guns where this has not been done and you can see that the mag will bang into the bottom of the ramp hard enough that over time the mag and the ramp get beat up. You don't need to grind a lot off,just do a little at a time and then with the topend off the gun just slide the barrel into the frame and hold it in place then push a mag up into the frame to make sure it will not come in contact with the barrel. :cheers: Hope this answers your question, call me if you need clarification.

post-4731-1203470131.jpg

post-4731-1203470167.jpg

post-4731-1203470172.jpg

post-4731-1203470179.jpg

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM

I'm not sure this is what you're trying to accomplish but this is what I do on a ramped barrel for clearance of a magazine. Look at the pics and you'll see that I cut an angle on the bottom of the barrel ramp so that when a mag is inserted into the gun the top front of the mag body does not hit the bottom of the ramp and ding the mag and or the bottom of the ramp. I've seen other guns where this has not been done and you can see that the mag will bang into the bottom of the ramp hard enough that over time the mag and the ramp get beat up. You don't need to grind a lot off,just do a little at a time and then with the topend off the gun just slide the barrel into the frame and hold it in place then push a mag up into the frame to make sure it will not come in contact with the barrel. :cheers: Hope this answers your question, call me if you need clarification.

Dan, Matt, and company; first off, thanks.

The pics show almost exactly what I did; although the reverse angle wasnt as pronounced. Every so often the cartridges were hitting right at the point of where the feed ramp started, producing a failure to feed. Im now at the point where I believe moving the feed ramp forward 10-20 thous or so, while maintaining the correct angle, will set me straight. This effectively lowers where the ramp starts.

This is a caspian slide fitted to a sti s.s. frame, fyi.

Mike, I thought that was what you were referring to, I usually also will lay the feed ramp down a bit and give it a nice polish to smooth the feeding of the round, just be careful not to over do it and take away from the support of the casing.

Eric, thanks for the comments and if you look at the original barrel which I sent back to you after rebarreling your limited gun you'll see the mags were hitting the ramp pretty hard for quite some time and there was a groove worn into the bottom of the barrel ramp.

Mike, I thought that was what you were referring to, I usually also will lay the feed ramp down a bit and give it a nice polish to smooth the feeding of the round, just be careful not to over do it and take away from the support of the casing.

Eric, thanks for the comments and if you look at the original barrel which I sent back to you after rebarreling your limited gun you'll see the mags were hitting the ramp pretty hard for quite some time and there was a groove worn into the bottom of the barrel ramp.

LOL, so it wasn't the disconnecter rail I was hitting when I smoked a load, it was the ramp. :blush:

Anyway, nice work, you keep raising the bar. :bow:

touche. :blush:

I was looking at the amount of brass exposed on the bottom of the cartridge when Im chamber checking reloads. Its a finished kart barrel.

I needed to bring the ramp forward to clear the magazine, but want to maintain the angle.

Mike,

I'm glad you got the confirmation on your question. I just mill the small amount of overhang into the mag well too, same as you and Dan did. :cheers:

Eric, when reloading with the gun in battery the top lips of the mag can come in contact with the disconnect rail and leave dings in it since the mag will go slightly past the mag catch then drop down to hang on. The only time the mag could hit the bottom of the barrel ramp is when the gun is out of battery with the barrel in the unlocked position and at it's lowest point.

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM