Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Estimated Time for Receving an STI

j0hn

I finally decided on placing an order for a STI Executive. I am not sure whether I am going to order it from STI or Brazos. I am leaning towards the latter and just curious how long it would take to receive one after place your order and paying. I have placed it yet so I haven't received an estimated time yet but whats the usual wait? Also I am semi-new to the sport and am young. I have been shooting USPSA and Steel matches for about a year. I am very interested and addicted to this sport and alot of older guys have really helped me out. Any suggestions for add-ons or parts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

j0hn

John, the only way to know would be to call them and find out. You might find one in stock somewhere and have it by the end of the week and you might have to wait several weeks for one to be made and sent out. Get on the phone and see if you can find one.

+ 1 Dawson has some in stock give em a call, I recently ordered a STI that wasnt in stock and was quoted 8-10 weeks. It really depends on what you order and what modifications you want. Go to STI and click on distributers, I think there are four all usually post on this websight and you'll probably get good reccommendations for all of them. figure out what you want and give em a call and see what is in stock.

You can't order directly from STI, you have to go through a distributor. If you Brazos or Dawson don't have one in stock. I'd suggest calling Chuck at Shooter's Connection to see if he's got one. From Brazos or Dawson I'd opt for their tuning package...definitely worth it. If you get one from SC I'd see if HSmith could go over it and make sure it's set up right.

Thanks for replying. I haven't quite got all of my money saved up yet but as soon as I do I will definitely call and check Dawson and Brazos out. I was just curious about the time because when I said I was a young shooter I meant it. My income is limited because I only work during the summer and I still live at home and I think I will be placing my order a couple months in and was wondering if I would see it before my senior year begins. Once again thanks for the replies and information.

Thanks,

j0hn

Thanks for replying. I haven't quite got all of my money saved up yet but as soon as I do I will definitely call and check Dawson and Brazos out. I was just curious about the time because when I said I was a young shooter I meant it. My income is limited because I only work during the summer and I still live at home and I think I will be placing my order a couple months in and was wondering if I would see it before my senior year begins. Once again thanks for the replies and information.

Thanks,

j0hn

I know you said you've made the decision to order the Executive, but have you ever shot or handled one? It's an Edge with a different finish, grip color and lettering on the slide. The list price on the Executive is $2464. The price of an Edge is $1874. Other than cosmetics, they are identical. For the $600 difference you can buy an Edge, get them to swap out a grey grip on it (for the difference in price between the two), get it hard chromed or Ion Bonded, have a reliability package and trigger job done on it and probably have enough left over for a magazine or two....that's going to be a "better" gun than a stock Executive since it'll run and have a decent trigger on it. A stock Executive is very likely going to need work to get it to run 100%, which will add to the price. For the same money you could also buy any number of custom guns that will run more reliably, shoot more accurately and simply be better in every way...and most of them are pretty darned sweet to look at too!

I purchased a Super Tuned Edge from Dawson in March. It took about 5 weeks to get it. I would definitely go with the Super Tuned Edge over the Executive. It is cheaper, and it comes with a Ice magwell, Dawson front sight, and tuned. I bought a STI RangeMaster from Brazos in May, and it took a week. I just got the tuned package on it, nothing major. The pistol is one thing, mags are another. That is another major expense, plus holster rig you are looking at another $700-$800. If you do get a Super Tuned Edge, you will have to buy 140mm mags. It comes with 1 126mm mag that does not fit with the Dawson Ice magwell.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=91461235

And he advertises package deals, for what thats worth. Haven't dealt with him and dont know him but it may be worth a call if you cant find one anywhere. About 240 under MSRP, 'bout the same as Dawson and Shooters connection. As far as a tuned package, I would talk to the local guys at the club, (who got one who didn't), mine ran and ran and ran and is still running right out of the box.

Thanks,

j0hn

I know you said you've made the decision to order the Executive, but have you ever shot or handled one? It's an Edge with a different finish, grip color and lettering on the slide. The list price on the Executive is $2464. The price of an Edge is $1874. Other than cosmetics, they are identical. For the $600 difference you can buy an Edge, get them to swap out a grey grip on it (for the difference in price between the two), get it hard chromed or Ion Bonded, have a reliability package and trigger job done on it and probably have enough left over for a magazine or two....that's going to be a "better" gun than a stock Executive since it'll run and have a decent trigger on it. A stock Executive is very likely going to need work to get it to run 100%, which will add to the price. For the same money you could also buy any number of custom guns that will run more reliably, shoot more accurately and simply be better in every way...and most of them are pretty darned sweet to look at too!

Ok if I decide to do that who should I get it from? I hear alot about Brazos and Dawson. Which is better and which would you get if you were going to get one?

Link to the Brazos High Performance Edge:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm

Link to Dawson's Super tuned Edge:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0001-1155331048

I personally do like the asthetics of the gray grip but I'd rather it be functional that pretty...

Thanks for the reply and information,

j0hn

I seem to like the overall finish of the Brazos but in the description it says chrome plated. Is this the same thing as Hard Chromed? If its not what advantages and disadvantages does it have against hard chromed and what is better?

I like all the Features on Dawson's Super tuned Edge. I like the sights and the magwell especially. It also specifically states that it is hard chromed.

I seem to like the overall finish of the Brazos but in the description it says chrome plated. Is this the same thing as Hard Chromed? If its not what advantages and disadvantages does it have against hard chromed and what is better?

I like all the Features on Dawson's Super tuned Edge. I like the sights and the magwell especially. It also specifically states that it is hard chromed.

The hard chromed and chrome plated are the same thing, so no worries there.

I bought an Edge from Dawson with the Super Tuned package and my buddy bought the Brazos with the tuned package and both have run really well. When I bought mine, Dawson had one that I only had to wait a week or two for and when my buddy got his from Brazos they had one nearly ready to ship....just a matter of timing as to who has one sooner.

I eventually put an AFTEC extractor in mine, contoured and stippled the grip, swapped the Recoil Master for a one-piece STI guiderod and 12.5lb ISMI spring and then put an Extreme Engineering trigger kit in it and it's gone many thousands of rounds since with no issues. I didn't really need to do any of those things except for the AFTEC as the stock extractor went south after about 5 thousand rounds (I could have just adjusted it but the AFTEC is a better option IMO). The grip contour really makes them feel much better and I like the feel of the standard guide rod over the RM, but those are personal rather than reliability factors.