Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Lives of Others

SA Friday

Best movie I've seen in a long time. It just came out on DVD. It's in german, sub-titled, but better than the last couple of American "bests" for sure (yes, I think it's much better than 'The Departed').

Very plausable story. Very good ending. No unrealistic part in the entire movie and doesn't have any faulty "its just a movie" implied logic at all. Really drove home the dismal state of West Germany before the wall fell.

On the revlover scale of 0 to 6; 0 being oh-crap I have to reload, and 6 being whoo-hooo fire away, I rated this one a 6 :cheers:

Agree - it should be shown in every high school. We must never forget the past (this aspect of it anyway).

Saw it with my wife; I needed the sub-titles, she didn't (she's from Munich). Apparently its quite an authentic depiction of the way things really were just a few years back, in a country not so far away.

I saw this on a date in London, she picked the movie. I thought it was utterly PAINFUL to watch/read. Let me point out that having spent the better part of my adult life dating back to 1985, I have seen many "V.O." ( virgin original with regards to language ) and had to read the subtitles. I just did not enjoy this movie. Yes, it was in my opinion a reasonable depiction of what it was like.

On the revolver scale, I would give it a 1

Only reason I did not walk out was she picked it and I did not want to insult her choice of movies!!!!!!

Best movie I've seen in a long time. It just came out on DVD. It's in german, sub-titled, but better than the last couple of American "bests" for sure (yes, I think it's much better than 'The Departed').

Very plausable story. Very good ending. No unrealistic part in the entire movie and doesn't have any faulty "its just a movie" implied logic at all. Really drove home the dismal state of West Germany before the wall fell.

On the revlover scale of 0 to 6; 0 being oh-crap I have to reload, and 6 being whoo-hooo fire away, I rated this one a 6 :cheers:

My parents are recommending it highly --- so at some point I'll have to watch it.....

Oh, I think you want to head a little farther east, geographically speaking.....

• 2 months later...
What amazes me is how good the movie is and how difficult it was for the director to get anyone to distribute it.

I watch a lot of foreign (to the US) and independent US movies and ask myself the same question over and over. Can't help but blame Hollywood and the marketing machine behind it. But then again, that might just be ignorance on my behalf ;)

• 2 months later...
I can't believe there's been no comments on this. It really was an astounding movie.

It was Al, fantastic performances and all too real, it sent a shiver down my spine remembering that era.

I'm sure there's another thread on this already, I have the deja vu thing going on.

P.D.