Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun freezes sometimes?

TannerB

Okay experts. im sure some of yall have heard me say this so much I don't have to say it but, I have a 35 converted to 9mm with lone wolf. 9mm extractor and 9mm ejector. 13# recoil spring, ss guide rod. I think those are the only purdnent upgrades for this problem. Now it doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when I shoot the slide will freeze up. it will only move a few millimeters. I have to keep trying to cycle the action and pull hard to finally get it loose and kick the shell out. any ideas why this is?

The extractor should have nothing to do if the slide isn't moving at all. How does the barrel lugs and locking block look? Sounds as is the barrel is not able to drop down and away from locking block. Or it might be catching on top of the barrel where the slide goes over the hood. Gun clean and lubed?

I had the same problem with my G21. It turned out to be the Wolf ammo. This was the older kind. It would just gum everything up. I had to push the slide against something solid to get it to free up. Never did that with anything but the Wolf...

Skip

Don't press the front of the slide 'against something solid' next time. That makes gun-babying safe-queen-owners cry.

Grip the slide FIRMLY with your off hand (squeeze so your fingertips go white) and smack the backstrap of the grip with your strong hand gently, then working up to a firm blow. This actually works much better than wedging the slide against something solid (a quick impact works better than a slow, hard push) and it's safer.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

TannerB,

sounds like a barrel problem to me. Not all "Drop In" barrels are ...

Your extractor / ejector should have no bearing on the problem.

If I remember from my Armourers course, the standard recoil spring should be a 17lb.

Kirby.

but did have 3 stovepipes in a row

do you use lee fcd?

Not sure what lee fcd is. I was using WWB

FCD=Factory Crimp Die.

Since you are shooting factory ammo it's moot.

What does the ejection pattern look like?

Edited by JThompson

Buldged brass that has not been resized properly, would be my guess.
Yep, and you will likely find it to be the case if you are buying reloads. I won't mention any names (COUGH! miwall COUGH!) but the crap I am shooting does the same thing. I had to ream the throats of my aftermarket barrels to shoot 9mm reloads.

You won't need a lot of strength, if you use good technique. (Tanner, sorry I missed your call that day...I got pulled away by some buddies with some intentions on beer, wings and poker.)

Thats ok, understandable.