Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stocking up,,how much is enogh?

KentG

Im not sure what to do at the moment. Im in the middle of reloading a case of MG 45 which will give me almost 3K of ammo loaded. I still have about 7K primers and well over half a 8 pounder of clays. Im sure I still have 4 or 5K of brass.

If times were stable Id say Im good for several months at least on loaded and a year at least on supplies. Im not a one of the ones who shoots every week untill Im ankle deep in brass. Maybe a few hundred a month of 45 plus match ammo, sometimes a lot more and sometimes like now when its cold a whole lot less.

Im tempted to buy more of everything even if I dont load it. I know that primers have gone thru the roof! Im in no danger of running out for the foreseeable future but Im a tad nervous about the future price wise and politics wise.

What do you guys do for the pantry???

My inventory is:

25,000 .45 brass

20,000 Large Pistol Primers

16 lbs. of Clays

10,000 .40 brass

15,000 Small Pistol Primers

12 lbs. of VV320

1 1050 for each caliber.

How much is enough? WHEN YOUR GARAGE IS TOO FULL TO MOVE!!!

Edited to add:

2,000 55 Gr. .233 bullets

10 lbs. of powder for .233

5,000 brass for .233

Oh yeah, I don't have an AR, YET!!! But I do have the Meopta K-Dot Scope :D

Edited by zhunter

Last time I stocked up it was 12,000 bullets, 16 lbs of powder and 15,000 primers. YMMV

Let me guess,,, your a single man. Oh for the days. :cheers:

Married for 14 years and have three kids. ;) I must be doing something right! :rolleyes:

Congrats! Looks like Im going to have to stock up. ON ammo,,not kids.

Thanks Kent- I think it would be a good rule of thumb to buy a year's worth. What ever that amount may be, and if one can afford it. There are those out there that can shoot 20k+. But get the highest quantity you can afford. You save money that way. ;)

OK,,,,, I just hit powdervalley pretty good. I only ordered one more case of MG 230s though.

It wont go to waste and prices for powder and primers will only go up.

I will try to order another case of bullets in a month or so.

With all of the surplus rifle ammo I ordered over the last few years, my UPS guy hates me.

Thats a lot bigger # than the pistol stuff and Im so glad I bought it till it really hurt.

Loaded ammo, brass and bullets - go for it.

Be aware that some localities may have restrictions on the manner of storage and quantity of unloaded primers and powder in your residence.

Edited by kevin c

Pick stuff up as you see good prices. I bought once fired .45 for $30/k and should have bought more. Brass and bullets will not degrade, primers and powder will if not stored properly. A years worth is not enough the way things are going.