Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN newbie

slickrick

hi everybody. i'm planning on shooting IPSC open, hope you guys could help me out with 2 major questions: 1: do i get a complete gun like STI trubor or grandmaster or do i build a gun up from scratch? 2: what dot size would be best on a c-more? thanks!! :cheers:

Howdi newbi. It all depends...If you don't want to wait try to find a good used gun or try Dawson for new STI guns. If you have one built up it could take you a while. Maybe some of the other guys can point you to a builder who has something ready or close. The dot size is a matter of taste within reason. I don't shoot a dot anymore so someone else can help.

Edited by chirpy

Hey, welcome to the dark side of IPSC.

I'll give you another 'depends' answer. Depends on your budget, what you like, what fits your hand, etc. What I found worked for me in my first open gun was to buy a good used one, shoot it for awhile, then either have one built or buy one that incorporates all the things you liked about the used one and none of the things you don't like. There are some pretty nice used ones that come up for sale here and on the USPSA website. Then, you can just sell the 'starter' gun to another shooter.

HI slickrick,

if any of your fellow members in your club shoots open, my suggestion is for you to try shooting their open guns and go from there. Both Brazos and Dawson sells trubors and grandmasters at very good prices. Goodluck and may the force be with you going to the "Dark Side".

As already suggested, a good used gun is a great way to go. The previous owner will likely have sorted out any reliability issues and developed a load that works well. Depending on the size of your club there's a good chance someone has a gun they're not using that would fit the bill...and you could try before you buy.

The only negative with having a true custom gun built is that early in the game you really don't know exactly what you want and that can cause you to spend more later....but the guns will be better than a factory STI that's been tuned by one of the big names like Dawson or Brazos.

If you decide to go with a stock STI that's tuned, I'd highly recommend staying away from 9mm Major....they're simply harder to get to work right and you have a better chance at getting one that runs if you stick with .38 Super/Supercomp and deal with the higher cost of brass. A gun that doesn't run 100% is going to severely limit your enjoyment of the game. R,

I also went with a Dawson tuned Trubore to start with in open. The gun has run well so far. I had it hard chromed 1st thing but if I had it all to do over again I think I'd hold off on the chrome for awhile.

Trodrig

I am actually in the process of building an open gun (very slow process) I recieved a Schuemann barrel certificate for a free barrel and ran with it. I have an STI Edge already and am going to put another top end on it that will be a Tri-brid Open gun with a Doctor sight.

If i wanted to start in open i would go with a used STI/SV open gun or get a brand new Tangfoglio Package from Henning. Those guns are sweet and feel a lot better grip wise. Just too bad not more people are shooting them because if you break down in a match hardly anyone has spare parts.

Good luck with open.

I am actually in the process of building an open gun (very slow process) I recieved a Schuemann barrel certificate for a free barrel and ran with it. I have an STI Edge already and am going to put another top end on it that will be a Tri-brid Open gun with a Doctor sight.

If i wanted to start in open i would go with a used STI/SV open gun or get a brand new Tangfoglio Package from Henning. Those guns are sweet and feel a lot better grip wise. Just too bad not more people are shooting them because if you break down in a match hardly anyone has spare parts.

Good luck with open.

Not sure if you've had this done, but getting the grip on an S_I contoured makes a huge difference....depending on your hand it still might not feel as good as a Tanfoglio, but it's a huge improvement.

Find a pistolsmith. You going to need him eventually, so I would buy it from him.

Dot size is whatever you like. Look at local shooters guns before buying. Don't buy from the people you see that build/sell jammimg guns

Edited by BSeevers

Good luck with open.

Not sure if you've had this done, but getting the grip on an S_I contoured makes a huge difference....depending on your hand it still might not feel as good as a Tanfoglio, but it's a huge improvement.

Is the tanfoglio a good open gun? Actually i'm a production shooter, i'm just thinking or shooting in another division for a year with hopes of "speeding up" or developing stronger grip and focus. do you think open would be a good place to do that? :rolleyes:

Dispite the "stay away from 9mm", I think that's the way too go!!! I've sold all my 38 Super guns and have 2 ea. 9mm open guns..... would never go back! Buy SV mags even if you have a STI gun. Brass is usually FREE. I pitch the brass after 3 or 4 reloads. No MATTER which caliber you choose buy the "U" die from Lee or EGW. HS-6, 3N38, N350 + more are good for loading to 9mm major. I do load "long" (1.200") and have found certain bullet profiles allow this (most RNose) without chamber / bore interfernce. The BIGGEST problem that I have seen with either caliber, is the ejection of the spent case.....lot's of other things cause open gun "stovepipes", but the way the EJECTOR hit is tossing the case is the #1 problem I have noticed. MAKE sure your gun's ejector is tuned so that the cases are leaving "flat", not banging on the scope mount.... You WILL be a Happy Camper with 9MM!!!

Is the tanfoglio a good open gun? Actually i'm a production shooter, i'm just thinking or shooting in another division for a year with hopes of "speeding up" or developing stronger grip and focus. do you think open would be a good place to do that? :rolleyes:

Eric Grauffel the World Open champ, and Henning seem to do..... alright with them. :D Seriously, yes they are good, specifically in 38 Super. There is actually a used one in the classifieds here as you read this for a very reasonable price.

Eric Grauffel the World Open champ, and Henning seem to do..... alright with them. :D Seriously, yes they are good, specifically in 38 Super. There is actually a used one in the classifieds here as you read this for a very reasonable price.

Yep, if all my gear wasn't S_I specific I'd really think hard about buying that Tanfoglio in the classifieds!

I have even talked to some european shooters that are sponsored (different company) and they said Tanfoglio is making some really nice guns that, in IPSC, are going to be the standard for Production but they haven't made a really appearence in the States because the dominance of the Glock and S_I platforms.

With open the tan's are a realiable for sure, my grandfather is still shooter is '94 9x21 EAA Witness (small frame) with a PDP4 on top. That gun can flat haul but the mags are not realiable at all. Now with the Large frame they have become more reliable and more efficeint. I have a blast every time i shoot it.

If you are looking to get faster/speed up, If you don't already have an open setup or don't have access to one, I would stick to limited. You need to get into a division that lets you think about shooting primarily than figure 50% shooting and 50% reloads. I loved production but as soon as i switched to limited i found myself concentrating on my hits more and the stages "flowed" more that when every 4 targets i had to make funky reloads at wierd times.

I agree with the forum members who suggested to buy it from the gunsmith. Open guns even new ones are sometimes temperamental and this 'smiths are already familiar with its problems and how to fix it. Will save you from head ache

Dot size my preference is 8. My eyes are not that young anymore and thats the smallest size my eyes like.

I went with a used sti trubor as my first and only open gun. it's been banged up pretty good and keeps on running. Sure beats dealing with "new" gun issues when your trying to find the DOT. After I shoot this beater for awhile, I will have one built to my specs. Become buddies with a gunsmith, you will need him. Have fun and welcome to the darkside.