Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds in reloadable mag?

rtr

I'm curiou show many rounds of ammo (and with what follower and basepad) folks are using in open and limited guns. Ie how many rounds do you download from max capacity.

I run STI mags with the long (I think 11mm) grams basepads in my open gun. I've had issues with blowing reloads because I didn't use enough force to seat the mag. The issue has come up again recently because I replaced the mag springs. In playing with some things today I downloaded more rounds (used to download only 2 rounds, then tried 5 (max capacity is 23) and that seems to help.

In my limited mags with 4mm grams basepads downloading 2 rounds seems to work fine.

Limited: STI tubes, Grams springs and followers, Grams 4mm pads. I get 20 rounds max in all of these and several are definitely reloadable. If I only load 19 in them they're really easy to seat.

Open: STI tubes, Grams springs and followers (13 coil), Grams 11mm pads. I also have the Arrendondo inserts in them to keep the follower from binding. I get 23 rounds of 38SC in them, which is reloadable, but on the tight side. If I drop down to 22 rounds they go with no trouble at all.

I rarely load to that max as it's tough on the grip frame and probably wears out the springs a little faster, but I can do it if need be.

Honestly, if you're blowing a reload with two rounds less than capacity, something else is wrong and I hate to say it, but it's likely technique....they should seat really easy down two.

LOL, hardware solutions for software problems, I fall into that plenty often too.....

I run a mix and match of STI and SV tubes in my guns, doesn't really matter to me which I pull out of the bag as both work great.

Limited, STI tubes with Grams spring kits or Dawson followers with ISMI springs will get me 19 reloadable in every one using Dawson +1 pads. The SNL pads get me 20 reloadable but I don't have many 20 round mags in my gear. The SV tubes with Dawson +1 are as long as is legal and will reload with 20 in them using Grams guts.

In Open I am running a 9mm. I have SV 140's that are 23 easily reloadable with Grams 11mm pads and Grams guts, 23 and a bit tighter with Dawson +2 pads. STI 140's are 21 rounds period unless you use basepad inserts or modify the tube. If you don't and load more it WILL bite you sooner or later. The tube can be modified a bit and let you run 23 without the basepad inserts but isn't worth it in my mind. Basepad inserts are also not worth it in my mind, so the STI 140's I use are 21 rounds period. STI 170's in 9mm are 28 reloadble easily for me, and a snug 29 with Dawson +1 or Grams 2.5mm pads. Grams 4mm pads add some room if they can be made to gage, some of the tubes are too long though so they only way to tell is to gage the tube with all the different pads on it and see which one gets the most room while staying legal. Some of the recent STI 170 tubes will take the SNL pads with a little massaging. Getting the RIGHT pad on a 170 is important regardless of make, the max length dictates the max capacity when the tube is right and the longer pad just takes the mag to the max length. SV mags have a bit more room and the ones I am using right now are 29 rounds reloadable, and yes they are legal mags. In Super they are a snug 29 and easily reloadable with 28. SV 170 tubes also vary a bit in length and you need to find the right pad for that particular tube, I have Grams 2.5, 4mm and Dawson +1 pads on mine. None recently have even been close to gaging with the SNL on them, and they are too long for the 4mm pad as well lately.

I need to get some more mags, I'd be on cloud 9 if I could shoot a match without cleaning and reloading magazines!!!! The cost is a bit prohibitive but I am working on it.....

I generally keep 4-7 mags in my bag for either Open or Limited, in Open I will have 1-170 for sure and most times two, an old SV 160 (26 rounds) and a couple 140's. For L10 I will make sure I have at least 5 with me.

Para 40's for limited

Para followers, mix of old Para springs, and ISMI, Dawson basepads.

All my mags will fit a tight 21.

First mag at LAMR has 21, makes 22 in the gun. All other mags will have 20, for easier reloading.

Will start with downloaded mags if I'm going to drop them after shooting less the 10 rounds. Dropping full mags beats them up a lot more.

Limited Minor (9mm, it's what I have right now): STI 140 tubes, Grams followers, steel inserts from SC, a mix of Dawson +1, SNL, and Grams 4mm. I can shove 23 in all of them with no problems but some are not reloadable. So, I load all my mags to 22 and if I feel the need for it I will put an extra in the mag if the stage calls for it. I do not use basepad inserts.

Ok here is a picture of the mag catch in question (far right), the one from my limited gun (far left) that doesn't seem to have this problem, and a virtually new one (middle). Seems that the two blued ones have an area on the edget that catches that is more dished out (see red circle). Could that be a part of it?

Any signs of wear on the one on the far right?

post-1759-1200769554.jpg

Edited by rtr

Limited Legal mag- (fits the USPSA gauge at 141.25mm: .40cal = 21 rounds, .38/9mm = 23 rounds.

Open Legal mag- (fits the USPSA gauge at 171.25mm: .38/9mm = 29 rounds.

All round counts are in the mag, re-loadable.

Ok here is a picture of the mag catch in question (far right), the one from my limited gun (far left) that doesn't seem to have this problem, and a virtually new one (middle). Seems that the two blued ones have an area on the edget that catches that is more dished out (see red circle). Could that be a part of it?

Any signs of wear on the one on the far right?

Actually,

That side of the catch is where the mag tubes pushes on the catch when you insert it into the mag well. The part we need to see is on the other side. Here is a picture of the one that was causing me trouble.

post-400-1200778264.jpg

Edited by ChuckS

Thanks Chuck that part looks fine. The catch does seem to stick a little going from the full right position back to it's natural position when a mag is inserted (or if I manually manipulate the catch). I'll investigate why but curious if anyone has run into this before.

For me it is as follows.

Post ban 170mm STI with Grams spring and follower and a Dawson +1Plus I can get 28 loadable or 29 if I start with that mag. Note: I did clip one coil off the spring and it hasn't affected how well the magazines work so far. I will admit they are a little tight in the mag guage, need to take just a touch off the back side of the feed lips.

Post ban 140mm STI with old style STI followers and springs with a Dawson +2 base pad I can get 23 loadable.

Pre Ban 140mm STI with old style STI followers and springs and a Dawson +2 base pad I can get 20 loadable.

Joe W.

Ping TeamGE...

Beven, will you be at the Fla Open? It'd be a good thing for me to show someone my conglomeration of mags (all STI) and ask what's best used on them for best capacity. Limited, if I just measure the metal tubes themselves, I have three that are 120mm and two that measure 130mm.

Thanks, Stipo