rvb

rvb

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris Land............that jack rabbit made us all look sluggish.

Chris is consistently very solid!

-rvb

It's funny, he is getting more accurate too, as you mention. Use to be a time he missed a lot, still won, but missed some. Not so much anymore, now he's winning without all the misses,............scary.

2013 IN Section is in the books. 1st Master, 3rd over-all in production (33rd unofficial/combined).

This was a high-speed hoser match... I was quite happy with my actual shooting. 90% of the points. 4 Ds, 1 M.

The M on the books was from a shot not fired... 12 shots were required from one position... I calculated I'd need a ~1.25s reload to break even. I attempted it but bobbled it, so I didn't take the shot. (I had a second M on a stage that was tossed).

I had an issue all day where I forgot to reload the gun! this happened most noticeably on stage 8, 2, and 7. On other stages it was more of a hesitation than significant time. On 8 and 2 I can see in the vid I reached for the mag, but never actually did the reload. Several seconds lost on these issues. Poor visualization, I suppose.

Stage 5 cost me 40-50 match points. I called a good shot on the activator that opened a port, went on to shoot some other stuff, came back, and the port was still closed. The hit was dead centered but about 3" udner the calibration zone. I had to go back where I could see the popper, then get back to shooting. I also got a penalty for a foot fault.

Stage 7 I shot well, except that I cost myself lots of time on the swinger. I shot the activator, another steel, a close paper, then the swinger. First shot was a decent shot as the swinger was at the end of it's motion, second shot I called a low D as it was on it's way back behind the barrels. For some reason I didn't trust my call, so I WAITED for it to come back out and fired a make up shot. It cost me ~1.5s to improve that D to a C.

I wanted to turn up the agressiveness a notch in this match. I don't think my hits suffered, but the mental game seemed to suffer with the mistakes I made. What I'm taking from that is I'm not getting enough live-fire stage practice where I can practice the entire flow of a stage, not just the shooting skills from shooting arrays.....

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

Got about 250 rounds in last night....

my draws suck. I could do a 7yd Bill drill in ~1.85, but that's with a ~1.2s draw.... all trigger speed and ragged edge.

Best Turn/Draw was ~1.3.

In dryfire I have no problem calling good "shots" at ~0.8.

I can occassionally hit under 1s (did a 7 yd 2R2 last night in 1.97!! All Cs or better! draw was mid.8s), but I can't do it with consistency. I have FEAR of missing that shot. I would say my TYPICAL 10 yd draw is 1.5.

I used to not care about draw times, but I think at least for classification purposes I have to get rid of that extra 3-5 tenths. And I think it's going to require live fire since it seems I can do it in dryfire....

Little trouble with groups last night.... 10 yds I can usually keep them all touching a paster but it was more like 2.5" last night. that was frustrating. Trouble focusing all night, I think my astigmatism contact lens wasn't sitting right... or I'm looking for excuses...

two sets of dot torture drills.... 43 points in 71.xx seconds, 44 points in 77 seconds (both 5 yds)

WHO is improving (been dryfing on that, really working to mirror my SHO grip), but still hurt the score.

Seems my score is the same as last time I shot it, but the time is about 20 seconds faster... I'll count that as improvement....

-rvb

I've been [over?] analyzing the state match results, watching my match vid, trying to gain perspective on where I need to improve...

I'm quite happy w/ my actual shooting. Another % or two in points shot would have helped, but wasn't my biggest loss of match points.

Consistency was awesome, I finished 3rd-5th in all stages but two (7th and 14th). It wasn't my shooting that hurt me on those two stages [more on that later].

Stage planning was.... mediocre. This match was pretty straight forward, and I think I may have over-complicated a couple of the stages. I don't think this was a significant source of lost match points, but I think some efficiency could have been gained.

Confidence seemed lacking. This caused my 7th place finish on stage 7. I didn't TRUST my call on the swinger, let it disappear and re-appear, and fired an un-needed make-up. That ~1.5s would have put me in ~4th and gotten me around 10 match points. I was slow/deliberate on the steel throughout the match. It seems my first shots on arrays took me too long to get the shot off.

Stage 5s 14th place probably cost me 50+ match points. I don't know what to think about that. I called a good shot, but the activator didn't fall. What's the lesson learned here? It can't be to look for a good hit, that's a time killer. Double tap the activator if shooting minor and you have to reload anyway? I also got a foot fault on this stage. would that have happened if not for the other issue?? peanut gallery doesn't think the PR was legit. can't tell from the vid. Thinking the whole stage should just be chalked up to SHIT HAPPENS.

Execution / visualization cost me BIG in this match. Stage 9 and stage 2 are the VERY obvious examples where I just failed to start a reload where I needed to. I probably cost myself 3 seconds on stage 9 with the failure to follow the plan. I think some of the plans seemed SO easy that I didn't burn-in the plans adequately.

It's very possible that I could have done everything perfectly and still not gotten enough points to move up a spot (would need 75 match points to move to second place), but it's good to figure out what fixes are going to make the most impact....

-rvb

It's very possible that I could have done everything perfectly and still not gotten enough points to move up a spot (would need 75 match points to move to second place), but it's good to figure out what fixes are going to make the most impact....

-rvb

Ok let's say stage 5 DIDN'T cost you 50 match points and and the back up "oops" never happened, netting at least another 10 stage points. I think it's safe to ASSume that shooting 15 or 20 more A's might possibly have sealed a state title. I haven't done the math, but you look plenty fast enough at this point. I have noticed a trend of increasingly better points being the norm by the top shooters. In fact, Stoeger is living and breathing it, points, points, points. I think he is looking at Grafful, (sp) who is consistently at 96-98% of all points and as you know, dominating the world.

I agree with your stand and shoot musings also. While we both know they don't win matches, those skills are needed to advance. For me, this was to be the summer of the 3 S's,..........STAND, SHOOT & SEE. My summer is not going as planned, but I do think I'm close to my other goal of making Master in Open.

Looking at times, other than your two roughest stages and the ones you had the best time, you are mostly just a second or so off the leader. You my friend are fast enough, shoot more A's.

Edited by Chris iliff

Chris,

certainly more As are always better, and usually I'd be slightly disappointed w/ 90% of the points, but for this match I had the speed turned up to 11 (partly because it seemed like a high-HF match, and partly to battle my own issues of becoming too conservative lately). So when I say I was happy with my shooting, I mean "I was happy with my shooting considering I felt I was on the ragged-edge all day."

Ideally, sure I should be shooting 96-98% of the points; this is what separates the men from the boys. I'm just not grown up enough yet in either the gun handling (to set up quickly on the hard shots) or the patience (to wait to break that shot till I'm Sure I'm in the A-zone and not just pretty darn close).

What I found interesting, and why I put the above post in my diary, is that turning it up to 11 revealed some weaknesses... but not necessarily where I expected. My points didn't plummet (though I did have a Mike on stage 10, which got tossed), but my execution suffered! any time gained by pushing myself speed-wise was lost in the "hickups" in execution of the stage plan. And I think those "hickups" happened because my brain was screaming "move!" not "shoot!" all day... If I look at stages 2 and 9, I bet my forgetting to reload according to plan cost me a huge number of match points. If I want to make the biggest impact to my score so that I finish at 95% instead of 87%, I need to get rid of the mistakes...

improving my shooting to get those extra points would be icing on the cake, and I'm trying to figure out how to modify my practice to help with that....

I appreciate the feedback!

summary: execution without mistakes and more points (w/o compromising speed). Sounds easy!!!!! :D

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Got some 1/2 size targets from midway. I think they'll really help my dryfire over the 1/3 scale targets I had cut out of printer paper... did a little DF last night, and the sight picture was much more natural. Dryfire seemed to go better.... probably just 'trick of the day'...

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

Here is your video from today. Only got 4 of them on video

Thanks for filming it, and putting them together. I remembered my camera, but didn't remember to USE it...... Can't remember everything!

-rvb

production at fwaps yesterday. 1st prod, 2nd overall (Chris got me by <2 points!)

91% of the points, which wasn't too bad considering we had quite a bit more distance in this match, incl turtles.

Started on Stage 3, which I won overall. I think I should have been a couple seconds faster. It had several ~15-20yd targets (turtles) and plates and I really felt myself over-aiming on the long stuff. This is a trend, and something I need to work on at the range... getting the gun on target at ~25 yds and having the confidence to break the shot as soon as I'm on target and not waste time verifying my sight picture.

Stage 4: Mike/No-Shoot! D'oh. Didnt walk down to see where it hit. Otherwise time was great and would have been a great run...

Classifer: 99-22 Nuevo El Prez. 11A, 1C in 6.21. HF=9.3398. Should be ~92%. Draw was horrible. Felt like ~1.7s draw. will have to stopwatch the video later... fumbled out of the holster, poor grip w/ WH, had to adjust. I talked about this in post 411 above.... If I had had a clean draw, this could have been a 100% or close. Time to focus on clean/consistent draws.

Stages 1 had a couple makups on steel that frustrated me, and I wasn't charging hard at all. Realized it was getting afternoon and I was getting hungry/lathargic. Should have been a couple seconds faster. I usually try to take an energy bar or jerky or something, but I forgot....

Stage 2, shot pretty well. Went WH through the port just because I've been working on WH and I wanted to see how I'd do in a match... first shot was pulled into hardcover, called and made it up and shot the 8 round array decent. don't recal exact points, but mostly As. 1 makeup on steel... I fell into the trap of thinking "I'm cleaning the steel!" haha.

So things to work on... over-aiming/confirming far targets, draws. ... already knew that.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Tried a new dryfire drill last night to work on my speed on far targets...
using different scale targets, I set up 3 targets at a simulated 5, 15, and 25yd ranges w/ wide transitions. No timer, just trying to transition into the harder targets and get the shot off quicker.

I think there are two aspects to my issue of being slow on far targets.
1) is finding the aim point and not having too much tension causing a wobble when stopping. I think this is a pretty minor issue just needing cleaned up.
2) (bigger issue) is the glock "DA" trigger. I wonder if I'm noticing the time it takes to press through the "DA" trigger more than the SA trigger in my 92 or 2011. I'm wondering if the "over-aiming" feeling I was having was really the time I had to hold on target while pulling the trigger through

skimming the site for nuggets of wisdom and came across this post from Flex:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177358&p=1979559
It was on a topic related to getting faster splits...

I would do the balance the dime on the front sight trick while pulling the trigger. Working that by using the support hand to hold the gun still while letting the other hand be more free to work the trigger smoothly.

Later, once I got the support hand grip figured out, I could (and would) just mash on the trigger in regular dryfire. I mean I would still pull it straight back into the gun, but with less regard for "touch". With my support hand really keeping the gun steady, what I would see would be the front sight sort of quaking a bit in the notch. It might shimmy about, but it would stay aligned and centered. It sometimes became a game to see how hard I could mash the trigger while still keeping the front sight properly in the notch through my support hand grip.

I tried just working the trigger progressively faster and faster on the 25yd target. ... till I was just mashing. There was a definite point where I could no longer say the "wobble" was a guarenteed C or better, and a point where I couldn't be sure I was on target... but it seemed by that point, I was pulling so hard, the tension would have made the reset and splits much slower. Often, if I didn't pull correctly, the shot would have been "in the dirt".

I'd like to get on the range w/ this, but I know it will probably be a couple weeks. I'd like to set a target and maybe some plates at 25 yds and just see how fast I can work the trigger and still get solid hits.

That 'wobble' from working the trigger quickly has got to be there on the close/fast splits, I'm just not seeing it because I'm seeing enough to call the shot...

-rvb Edited by rvb

Tried some new hardware for the AR. I sprung for one of the new 'BAD ASS' - 45-degree safeties (http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/badass.php). I had been pondering an ambi safety for a while since in dryfire if I came up weak side, I would occasionally forget or miss the safety. I liked the idea of the 45-degree, so I decided to go all out and shelled out the big $ for this widget.

First time shouldering the gun, I tried to take the safety off, it wouldn't budge. hmm... pressed harder, still wouldn't budge. It was hitting my firing hand on the right side of the gun keeping the lever from turning. I can't take the safety off w/o adjusting my grip! frustrating.

I removed the right-side lever just to evaluate the 45-degree concept.... I think I could like it, but the part came with these short/wide levers. That created two issues, one they were smaller and harder to hit and two by being shorter you had less torque on the mechanism and it seemed much stiffer to operate.

I can't use it as is.... so I don't know what to do....

They have different levers available, I could try a thin lever on the RH side, and a longer/thick lever on the LH side. But that's going to cost yet another $36 to evaluate. I could cut my losses and recoup some money on the classifieds...

Frustrating. Tthis is why I don't buy much in the way of aftermarket widgets.... I usually feel burned.... I had high hopes since so many people seemed to love this product in the research I did....

-rvb

Got to the range today, about 325 rounds w. the g34 (and a few throught the 642)

Wanted to focus on draws. I put up a paper plate at 10 yds. I really struggled. 1.2-1.4s anything faster became iffy. Low was the typical problem.

Interestingly when I switched to full paper, the draw times reduced and the hits were almost all in the As. Doing 7yd 2R2s I was consistently seeing sub .90 draws! Why I couldn't do that on a plate, I don't know? Over aiming? 2R2s were consistently in the 2.2-2.3 range w. ~90 draws and ~1.1 reloads. Tried the plate again, same results... Suckage.

F'd up a 5yd dot drill... 42 lousy points, but it was fast! (66.x s). Consistently pushing low on the first shot, pushing myself on the draws too much.

It was a good practice session, learned some stuff about my shooting, but it was frustrating...

-rvb

About 2 hrs of dry fire tonight. Did a couple hundred draws to headshots at 10 yds; tried to mimic what I saw in live fire w. the paper plates yesterday.

Trouble with consistency, especially th grip. When th grip went bad, trigger press went bad with it. At the faster paces (~1.0s), I estimate about 50% called hits. I'm going to work these headshot draws hard for a few weeks.

Reloads were great tonight.

Vision felt lazy... Too target focused and not getting crisp FS focus many times tonight.

-rvb

No dry fire happening the last few nights... To tired and sore from doing flooring. Nt sure I could grip a gun right now... Bummed cause I was starting to hit it hard the last couple weeks....

-rvb

Some time on the rifle range w. dad today...

I worked on unusual positions....

Sitting/kneeling has always been my hardest... Kept them in about 7" which isn't too bad for me. Typically, I'd do better to stand than sit/kneel.

Worked on some low prone positions. I know there are 'tactical' names for them i can never rmember, but I call them the "shootin' under shit" positions.... Wanted to know where I hit now that I switched to a 100 yd zero.... Answer is 2-3/4" sideways and 4" down @ 100yd.

Shot a few groups.... Typical results.

Going to Warsaw tomorrow! :)

-rvb