Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rvb

rvb

Just ordered a set of Wiley-X Guard safety glasses off Amazon for $60. Had my last set of glasses since ~2005 and they are getting cracked/scratched/worn. Went to the website for my old glasses and realized there were no safety ratings for their lenses! theyre Really just sun glasses. Shame on the vendor that sold them at a major match as safety/shooting glasses and shame on me for not doing the research.

-rvb

One range session in with these... really comfortable. didn't fog (but maybe it was too windy for them to fog, despite the 50* temps). no distortion, even when looking through the very top when shooting rifle. I think I'm going to like them for the reasonable $60 price.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to FWRR this afternoon for a bit, primarily to test some 55gr rifle rounds before I load a bunch. Brrr... It was about 18*.

I was a bit disappointed. Groups at 100yds were consistently at 2". The load is the same as it used to be, only I set up a second toolhead and started using the dillon trimmer. I expected more consistency in my brass and was hoping for ~1". I think I'm going to remove all crimp and see if that helps. Currently only a very slight kiss w the crimping die.

Load is 25.0gr H355, 55gr Hornady fmjbt

I'm really stuggling seeing both the reticle and the target clearly. I HAVE to call soon and get an apt to deal w. this awful right eye prescription.... Keep putting it off due to time and money.....

I shot about 15 rounds w. the G34..... I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was using a 25yd NRA slow fire target at 25 yds.... I mostly kept them on the paper! Ouch. I'm blaming hypothermia......

-rvb

First real live practice session of 2013 today. 40s, snow on the ground. Oh yea.

Went through 200-250 rounds

Lots of rust to knock off after several months, so I'm going to focus on the positive.

Main thing I wanted from this session was confince in my grip. I have gotten a couple weeks of dry fire in trying to resolve some problems (LH too high preventing the slide from locking back, RH getting eaten by the slide, and trigger finger placement for best accuracy). I think I can go forward w. confidence that those issues have been fixed and my new "right" grip seems adequately burned in.

Accuracy: still hitting a bit right. I -think- its trigger control. I shot 2 groups at 25 yds freestyle. They were 3-3/8" and 3-1/4". They were centered 2.5 and 3.5" right.

Need to work on the visual speed. I felt the gun was ahead of me all day. I wasnt calling every shot and many calls were on the general location, not the specific spot. I see lots of timing and bill drills in my future. Bill drills in the 2.4 range, none clean. El prezs were in the 5.3-5.6 range, but ave points was probably in the 40 range.

Reloads need a bunch of work. They were consistently 1.4-1.5.

Turn draws were slow, but lack of traction in the snow was a factor...

SHO and WHO draws went well, both in the 1.2 range. Best freestyle draw (testing grip consistency at grip&rip speeds) was .78 w a .11 second shot (3yds).

I'm not going to worry about the numbers. I consider today a success in that I finally have the kinks in my grip worked out on this goofy Glock thing. No blood. The slide locked back every time, and the tick of sight wobble is just a matter of getting consistent with my trigger press ( still on the fence if the sights need drifted a smudge). Now to turn up the dry fire...

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been on here... Been dry firing about 4 nights/week. Starting to get grooved in and breaking through some par barriers I hadn't been able to hit since switching to the Glock. Hoping to get a little live fire in before my first matches of the season here in a couple weeks.

I got new contacts.... They're awesome, I can see front sites and reticles clearly now. Is awesome! First time I've been happy w. my prescription in a couple years. Thinking about getting some Oakley or wileyXs w a prescription lens.

Been dry firing the AR, too, working getting into/out of some positions, reloads, and presenting to the first shot from different positions (table top, low ready, etc).

DYING to get back on the range soon

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to 2013!

I'm feeling good about this season... much better than I did this time last year. I think 2013 is going to be a great year. I'm not saying I'm going to necessarily place higher at matches, but I think I'm at least going into this season with more confidence and more enthusiasm than last year.

I have working guns. My problems with the glocks killed the first HALF of 2012 for me. In hindsight I should have just gone back to the Berettas while I got things worked out. I wasn't able to dryfire or live fire while the guns were at the factory. I had no confidence in my equipment the rest of the year. It was mentally distracting and clearing jams kills your scores! That all seems to be a thing of the past.

I have ammo. Yea, the market is tight, but I have enough (loaded!) to shoot as much as my schedule will allow in 2013, so I don't have to feel worried or skip what few live-fire opportunities I have.

I'm getting several hours of dryfire in per week. Mostly core drills right now, but soon I'll be adding in some classifiers and some hard setups, etc. I am pushing into new territory on my pars on a regular basis. Hell Yea that's exciting! Been a while since I've pushed those numbers down! The Glock is indexing beautifully for me now. No matter how I'm picking it up or drawing it it seems to fall into position. Still working on trigger control w/ the glock trigger and need some live fire time, but it's becoming more and more subconscious.

I can see! I switched eye Drs and finally got a prescription that corrects for the astigmatism in my dominant eye (previous doc wouldn't listen to me that it was there). I can see the targets, irons, and scope reticles SO much better now.

I've invested in safety equipment. New eyes and ear pro, and hopefully very soon new orthotics and cleats. Hopefully the new eye script, shades, and ear pro will allow me to get through the long days w/ less of the headaches that plagued me the last couple years.

I've gotten refreshed on the rules thanks to the CRO course (just submitted my exam).

Work schedule has lightened and I'm no longer going 70-80hr weeks, It's down to 45-50 and I feel like I've gained a life back.

I'm down a few pounds, and still going. Getting a couple hrs/week on the stationary bike. I'm trying to loose the weight slowly and change someways of life since everytime I've lost a bunch of weight quickly before it came right back.

I have an extra week of vaca at work this year. Helping a little with some time on the range, and allowing me to help more, eg RO'ing the IN Prod/SS/Rev match.

My first "Make Ready" is in a little over 2 weeks. I can't wait! I plan to get on the range a couple times between now and then so I have some confidence in my recoil control, transitions, and trigger work...

I'll still be running a "light" schedule. Just the two IN State matches and one other major (OH maybe?), the monthly Ft. Wayne match, a couple of 3-gun or rifle matches, and maybe a misc additional local or two.

See you on the range!

-rvb

Got on the range today!

35 rounds through the AR shooting groups. Most prone and a few off the bench. Rally struggled getting my NPA and kept having to re-align after each shot. Felt like I was muscling the gun. First 6 groups were in the 1.5-2" range. 7th/last group was decent at 1.25"... One [called] flier really opened it up, 4 of the hits were in 0.66". While I was a bit disapointed as I was hoping to see improved groups w my new contacts, the final group I shot at least gives me hope.....

Got some pistol work in, too, about 200 rounds. Draws were horrible all day. TENSION. really muscling the gun. 1.4 for a called A. :(

Didn't seem to have the tension on the trigger. Sight tracking and splits were great.

10 yd Bill trills were mediocre, again draws hurting times. 2.1-2.2.

Some agressive shooting on the move.

Some SHO/WHO... Was really happy with the sight tracking and recoil control

Groups were schizophrenic. 5-7 yds all touching. 10 yds under 1". 25 yds opened to ~6" and way right.

It had been a while since I practiced live fire with a light. Was using my G34 and it reminded me of yet another reason I don't put extended mag releases on definsive guns... Bang! D'oh!

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

I suck shooting a rifle for groups....

(5) 5-shot groups @ 100 Sunday w/ match AR. 69gr Black Hills reloaded ammo.

Best two were 1.3". Rest in the 2-3" range. I think trigger control is ok. I think there are two problems:

1) consistent point of aim. I've been using a black paster as a target. (7/8" square). at 4x I just can't resove it and the crosshairs well enough to feel I'm aiming in the same spot each time. (Using my vortex, giving it 2moa clicks up so I can aim w one of the stadia vs the dot). Going to try some different targets next time....

2) solid hold. My best goups came from prone. I never feel solid behind the gun on the bench. It seems the gun is dancing all around in a 1-2" area and I'm snatching the shot when "now" seems the right time. Maybe in addition to how solid I have the rifle mounted it's a visual thing? When shooting irons I can't see that level of mvt so I trust to just let the shot go?

-rvb

Edited by rvb

About 100 rounds pistol practice on Sunday.

Started off w/ groups. Still hitting a little right. 3" group at 25 yds, freestyle.

Proof that I'm psyching myself out at 10 yds for some reason. I usually dryfire at 10 yds (simulated, reduced targets). I decided to move closer for some drills.

draws: at 7 yds, consistent .92-.94s, probably 90% As. at 10 yds, 1.1-1.2s, 50%As. The shot isn't that much harder, but I felt a bunch of added tension at 10 I didn't feel at 7.

bill dril: at 7 yds, "semi-cold" (having done some draws/groups only), 1.77s, all As. Moved to 10, 2.15, 3 Cs. at 7 it felt relaxed, the gun pressed out, and I watched the sight track very nicely up and down into the A. At 10 I was tense. the draw was much less smooth, sight didn't seem to be tracking as well and I was "fighting" more than "steering" it.....

2-R-2. intentionally pushed on this one, any hits on paper acceptable. 2.15 (0.92 reload), A/C/2D. followed by 2.30 2A/C/D. trigger froze the last shot (0.3 split).

Thinking I need to practice more at farther distances (maybe 15yd). It's not really the distance, it's the expectations of the results and tension that is killing me. more live fire needed!

-rvb

Edited by rvb

oh, tried some surefire EP3s... no go for me.

w/ the little plug in, the AR made my ears ring (under the covered firing line). In the pistol bay, was making me wince. Blocked some noise, but not enough. My new WileyX Guard eye pro and MSA/Sordin electronic ears are AWESOME!

I was hoping the SF plugs will fill that need where we find ourselves spending the majority of our time, not actually shooting, but observing or otherwise off the firing line. When RO'ing, I thought I could put the electronic ears over the top for good protection that would allow me to hear everything going on.....

I may try a diffierent size of SF. I like the idea...... It was like the in-ear part wasn't long or wide enough.....

-rvb

I must have done 100 2-R-2's last night. I wasn't quiting til I hit par at 2.0 5x in a row w/ called Cs or better. reloads (looking the mag in, pausing before inserting) were killing me.

Back to basics will always fix your problems.

Draws weremuch better when I slightly relaxed the SH and gripped the hell out of it w/ the WH. If I don't do this I seem to come up all over the target.

Reloads..... pause! As always it "feeeeeeeels" slower, but do it right and you're magically waiting on the stop beep on the par timer.

-rvb

Had my first match of the season w/ FWAPS yesterday. Couldn't have asked for a better start, and a better confidence builder for the IN SS/Prod/Rev match.

Won Production, 2nd Combined (95% of Chris I's Open score). Penalty Free (quite an accomplishment at this match, lots of long shots w/ no-shoots not leaving much scoring area).

Shot 94.43% of the points. No M's or D's.

Over-all impression:

• Work on my draws / index has really paid off. I was out of the holster and on target quickly, even on the farther shots. Had 0.80 draws on the classifier.
  • Reloads need work. Saw 1.50s on the classifier. Whether I was happy w/ them throughout the match was hit or miss. Need consistency.
  • Recoil control has improved greatly w/ the glock. Sights were returning almost spot on. Lack of confidence in this resulted in a bit of over-aiming, especially on the far shots.
  • Focussing on putting the grip pressure and tension in the weak hand vs the strong really cleaned up my trigger control (and recoil control). Shot some just outstanding pairs on the 20-25yd targets.

Stage 1 (no video):

One extra shot on steel. Stage required a standing reload, and I think it was my best one of the match. Shot the second array L-to-R when my plan called for the other way. Flowed better but preventing me from taking the last target while beginning to move to the next position.

Stage 2:

Began shooting steel array on left as I was setting up in position. Got all the hits, but wasn't settled. In my mind I felt I was still moving agressively but on vid I see I was mostly stopped and was just getting set. It was hairy edge, but I think the ideal time to start taking those shots. In the final position I set up on the wrong target. I knew something didn't seem right and I didn't have enough rounds to engage an extra target. Took a second or two to get back on plan.

Stage 3 (my design):

Good hits on some wide transitions. Didn't trust the call on the first steel (called the hit, lingered to see it start to fall). Remembered to pull all the mags off the barrel vs belt (good burn-in on walkthrough). Over-aimed the farther shots through the port, I could have been a full second faster on those 6 rounds.

Satge 4:

Over-aimed the far shots. 25 yds, and 2-3" pairs. Except for the one w/ the no-shoot, would have probably helped HF to accept a couple Cs here. Maybe had the wager w/ Chris in the back of my mind? ;) Planned to take a couple targets on the move when leaving the box but stood flat footed. Had a few good shots on the move mid-stage.

Stage 5: 06-03 Can You Count:

Good news is I can count. Massive trigger freeze on first target. Draws were good. Reloads sucked. 96 points (2Cs, just outside the A), 6.92s, 13.8728 HF. Probably low 80's % nationally.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

So nice of you not to mention you won our "most A's" bet.

Good job on that by the way!!

Oh, and I shot more A's than Chris! :)

But I was shooting production... I HAVE to! ;) haha...

But then, you won the match, so.... yea... I guess I have some work to do! Good shootin'!!

-rvb

Wow, that's some very fast shooting, last stage of the vid. Watching things like this help me understand what is possible. Thanks for posting.

Tar

You're welcome! Thanks for reading. Just don't get caught up in trying to "go fast" above all else. Go as fast as YOU are able while seeing what you need to see to ensure good hits. On that classifier, the targets are only a couple yards away and wide open, so you can really "go for it."

-rvb

Shot a 0.09s split tonight. Never seen < 0.11s before. I don't think it counts as skill.... It kinda surprised me, and didn't go where I wanted. Thinking it was more like a bump fire. Last shot in a 7yd bill drill. 1.67 for the drill. 5 A, 1 D.... IIRC splits were .18, .18, .13, .13, then the .09 (the D).

-rvb

Came in 2nd in production in the IN SS/Prod/Rev match this weekend (1st/4 Masters).

Shot ~92% of Alex G, which made me happy since both times I shot against him last year I was in the low 80s against him.

Points could have been better, only shot 88% of the points. 6 Ds, 2 mikes. Both mikes were on wide open targets. On the other hand, I was very happy with the agression which I attacked the stages, and especially the strides I've made this spring in generally running the Glock... Trigger control, sight tracking, indexing, etc.

Stage 5 (where I started), I called a very high C/D. For some reason I looked for the hole to confirm my call... The inner voice started screaming, then I bobbled the reload I needed after that shot... Maybe a 2sec loss.

Stage 6, a complete mental breakdown. A very simple stage that was basically shoot some targets on the left side of a barricade, reload, then targets on the right. I lost track of how many times I went back and forth, turning a 9s stage into a 12.5s stage. I finished 17th on this stage, my next worst finish was 5th.

Extra shots on steel cost me a couple seconds on stage 3.

Some weaknesses were highlighted (glock trigger control is only 90% subconscious, a little more patience setting up on the 1st target in a position would have eliminated many Cs, need to get steel down 1 for 1), but over all I saw great improvements over last year.

-rvb