Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rvb

rvb

Sounds like you like the 19 waaaya more than the 34

You bet. It works!* At this point I'd prefer a High Point to my 34.

The 19 doesn't have the rounds through it the G34 does, and the problems in the 34s have cropped up after 1k or so rounds through them. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

My wife shot the 19 really well and really liked the size. I'd like to get her one that is just hers... if I can get confident in it.

* Oh crap! I just jinxed it!

-rvb

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attended FWAPS practice tonight.

Checked the sights on the G19. It's hitting about 2.5" high at 10 yds. That sucks. I'll have to do the math, but I may try the .245 high version. I'll have to remember to hold under for the state match.

Put about 50 rounds through the 34 with the new ejector. Ran well, even with the light 115s. Too soon to get excited.

Got very little practice in, but did get some much needed chrono work done. Also took out the 9mm AR.... Too much fun, both to shoot and to see everyone's inner child come out. :goof:

Only made a couple runs on the steel array. First one was very conservative, just confirming I got good hits by putting the plates on top of the post. Second run I opened up. I shot it clean and just about the limit of my speed. It felt good.

-rvb

9mm Glock chrono data.

147gr Zero jhps, 3.4+ gr titegroup, Fed #100s, 1.150-" oal, mixed brass. 5 shot strings

G34:

String 1: 938.4 fps ave. 10.4 SD. 137.9 PF

String 2: 939.9 fps ave. 8.9 SD. 138.1 PF

String 3: 937.8 fps ave. 3.4 SD. 137.8 PF

G19:

String 1: 894.0 fps ave. 6.4 SD. 131.4 PF

String 2: 896.4 fps ave. 4.7 SD. 131.7 PF

String 3: 902.1 fps ave. 8.8 SD. 132.6 PF

-rvb

Just installed the 0.245" Sevigny tritium front sight on the G19. Hopefully that corrects my POI being way high. Tomorrow is my last chance to try it before the IN state match.

Got 1k 9mm loaded this week.

Was hoping to crank up the dryfire this week, but work has been in the way. Gotten in about 1/2 hr each night this week. Reloads with the g19 are going well. Index needs a little work. I think I'm getting this glock trigger figured out. I almost never drop the dime off the FS (although it's a little easier with the tritium sight since its .125 wide).

FWAPS tomorrow.

-rvb

Just installed the 0.245" Sevigny tritium front sight on the G19. Hopefully that corrects my POI being way high. Tomorrow is my last chance to try it before the IN state match.

New sights (5 shot groups at 10 yds)..... MUCH better!

post-6093-134395729976_thumb.jpg

Dot drill with the G19.

46/50 at 5 yds in 99.57s (not counting the first slow-fire dot). 1-7/8" circles.

I was very disappointed in dot 10 :(

post-6093-134395764867_thumb.jpg

Edited by rvb

Ran this after you left tonight. 41/50. Def going to run it again hopefully this weekend. Everything for me was low and I pulled shots I should not have. Plus I want to do it on the timer.

Dot drill with the G19.

46/50 is 99.57s (not counting the first slow-fire dot).

I was very disappointed in dot 10 :(

post-6093-134395764867_thumb.jpg

Distance? Circle size? Looks about like mine. When I miss it's usually center low. Darn that visual patience!!!

Oops, meant to put that in the post.... 5 yds. 1-7/8" circles.

I was VERY happy with dot 8, the WHO dot B)

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Ran this after you left tonight. 41/50. Def going to run it again hopefully this weekend. Everything for me was low and I pulled shots I should not have. Plus I want to do it on the timer.

Cool! Distance?

-rvb

Good practice tonight. Production with the G19. Shot some 10 yd groups (above). Shot one group at 25 yds, but my target was way too little.... I couldn't find it when focused on the FS. Throwing out one flyer that I called WAY high (aiming at the wrong spot), it was a 4" group. Would like to try again soon w a 2-3" target.

Ran the dot drill (above).

The the rest of the slackers showed up. We set up a small stage 4 turtle targets and a bunch of plates/poppers. Could have been a little cleaner on the steel on both runs. Second run was much better.

The we set up a 7yd 2-2-2 drill on paper plates. Tried pushing the speed too much and never got all the hits on the plates (times weren't all that great anyway).

Ran one el prez. I think it may have been one of my better ones in production ever*. 5.14s 10 A 2 C on a turtle target (which still had the paper plates on them).

-rvb

*edit: d'oh. Not a personal best; I just recalled it was at 7 yds. :(

Edited by rvb

For the IN folks, if anyone is interested, I'll have a couple things with me at the Section match for sale. Shooting Saturday.

1) STI Spartan .45. <2k rounds. never a hickup.

2) Mossberg 590 12ga pump

3) Warren/Sevigny carry front sight (w/ tritium), 0.215 tall. Only installed for a couple hundred rounds.

-rvb

Had a real "off" dryfire session tonight. Horribly tense. Couldn't hit a draw to save my life, finally started to get back in the zone by the end of the session.

-rvb

Shot production in the 2012 IN section this weekend.

8th in the division (81.6%), 2nd master, 68th combined. Not sure if anyone ahead of me is from the section...

I shot my carry gun... G19. Had one ejection failure, which was disappointing since up until then it hadn't jammed like the 34s. I also had one mag not drop free which screwed a reload. I suspect the part of my palm that hangs off the short grip was rubbing on it.

Pros:

- Only 4 Ds and 1 M. The M was frustrating only because I called it and could have made it up, but I hesitated and then fell out of the shooting area. No other penalties.

- no first-stage bobbles.

- all plans executed to plan...

- when entering shooting areas, I felt I did a great job of being on the trigger the instant I was legally in the box.

- shooting on the move.

Cons:

- total lack of confidence in my index and where the gun is hitting at various distances led to dramatically over-aiming anything moderately long or tight.

- 62 Cs!! Ouch. Only shot 88.7% of the points.

- mis-timed an activator on stage 10 requiring me to take 1/2-head shots

- never got that adrenaline dump all day and felt I could have maybe been a little more aggressive.

Over-all, while I was disappointed with my finish (I was going for top 5 and top M), I think I shot the best match possible given my lack of practice and match shooting and distractions with gun issues.

Looking forward to next year. Hopefully. Get the 34 running and can have a solid spring practicing.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Over-all, while I was disappointed with my finish (I was going for top 5 and top M), I think I shot the best match possible given my lack of practice and match shooting and distractions with gun issues.

I ran it totally out of control, way past my "pocket". I'm sorry my gamble paid off...

I ran it totally out of control, way past my "pocket". I'm sorry my gamble paid off...

Congrats on 1st Prod Master! :D

Gamble or not, you did something right. Keep it up!

Are you shooting a Beretta? I saw your posts in the Beretta sub-forum...

-rvb

ps. Thanks for some extra motivation to tell work I'm done w/ the long days, I need to pratice! :)

Nice chatting with you on Saturday. I took your advice on the stage. Thanks.

Good chatting w/ you, too. I think I had as much fun catching up w/ folks as I did shooting (and that's saying a lot!).

-rvb

Sounds like you like the 19 waaaya more than the 34

You bet. It works!*

* Oh crap! I just jinxed it!

dammit Corey. I blame you for my ejection failure on stage 11.

:devil:

-rvb

Congrats on 1st Prod Master! :D

Gamble or not, you did something right. Keep it up!

Are you shooting a Beretta? I saw your posts in the Beretta sub-forum...

-rvb

ps. Thanks for some extra motivation to tell work I'm done w/ the long days, I need to pratice! :)

Thanks RVB!

I was running a G35 with some 150PF loads - I made the "mistake" of buying a .40, and I've sorta loved it ever since.

Up until a few weeks ago, I couldn't really tell the difference between softer shooting loads. I've been toying around with some lighter loads, but I've got piles of this 165gr load sitting around and I'm just going to shoot the rest of it...

I am planning on switching to a Beretta - I've got big hands. That and I'm seeing that shooting 130pf 9 is WAY easier than what I've got...

Oh, and... F*&k work! There's always too much of it!!

Edited by Less