Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rvb

rvb

Cleaned the production gun tonight.... At least that chore's done till next winter...

Figuring it was time for new springs anyway, I tried the Taran connector kit since they were running a Black Friday sale. Ive run a stock trigger group minus light striker spring since switching to glock. I'd say this kit is a bit smoother (which may have been the 5k of crud) and doesn't have as much double action "stacking" as I had with the "-" connector (but there's still some). I don't think its that much lighter, maybe just a bit. I measured it at about 4lb, but it's tough to get a good measurement on these Glock triggers. It didn't wow me, but I'll probably keep it in...

-rvb

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Small 3 stage pistol match at Hillside this Sunday the 14th if you want to use it as an excuse to knock off a little winter dust :)

Just leave that Open gun at home so I'm not tempted to ask to shoot it again, lol

December is tough... We have a Christmas thing...

If they have a match in Jan I should be able to make it (and after being home 2 weeks over Christmas the wife will probably be ready to kick me out of the house!).

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of practice today..

with the rifle, the tweaks to my55gr loads seemed to make the 100yd accuracy worse not better. Oh well, they are mainly for hosing anyway. Did some 25yd transition practice. The changes I've worked on in my stance as well as adding the adjustable gas have brought big improvements... working the trigger as fast as I could at 25 most of the time the two rounds in each pair were only 2-3 inches apart.

Put about 100 rounds through the g34. Between some tweaks to my grip and the taran connector kit (I went back to the Wolff reduced power striker spring), I shot some of my best groups ever. My first group at 10 yds had 4 rounds all touching in a little cloverleaf, but I threw 1 round about an inch low.

Changes I've been working on in my S/WHO seem to be on track. I'm finding Im getting better trigger control by not tilting the gun.

I've been doing only minimal dry fire... Planning to pick it up pretty intense after the holidays.

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

45 rounds through the new bone-stock G35 limited gun today w. Some factory S&B.

Some things I noticed.....

- I've shot .40 before, but not through a plastic gun. I expected to notice more recoil than I did.

- glock grips are slick as snot from the factory. Between that and the cold air, I couldn't go more than 6rounds without re-adjusting my grip. Planning to epoxy on some grit.

- stock Glock adjustable sights SUCK! once I figured out a somewhat consistent sight picture I managed a 1.5" group at 10yds. Not great, but not wonderful.

- I like the gen4 beavertail backstrap, wish I could put that on my production gun. It Let me seat the web of my SH higher and more solidly into the gun w.o cutting up my hand by the slide.

- the gen4 mag release isn't near as easy to hit as the extended gen3 release. Need to research better mag releases. Surprised they don't have an extended factory one for the 35?

- surprised to notice it didn't come w. The extended slide release. I already purchased a std one to put in it but don't need it.

- I can get 20 rounds in the mag with the taran basepads, but it's HARD. Like slice my thumb on the cartridge rim and end up using a table to push the round in, and break the glock mag loader tool level of hard. Even after leaving them loaded and locked into a gun for 48 hrs. Looks like 19+1 is what I'll run.

- glock ejection is always weak. This gun ran ok for these first few rounds, but 10% of the empties were too far back and not grouped with the others. No brass hit me or otherwise distracted me, so that's good. We'll see what some break in and tuning can do.

-rvb

I don't enjoy reloading, and I especially hate developing new loads. I hope these TG loads work out in the G35 so I can be done and only have to stock the one powder between my 9mm and 40s. Have 4.1-4.7 TG under 180s ready to chrono and shoot groups with.

Thanks to the fam though for the .40 setup for the Dillon for Christmas!

-rvb

Snuck out to the range just before the sun set. Didn't have enough time to do chrono work, but I had loaded up about 60 rounds of 180s over 4.3 TG since it's near the bottom of the book loads. Just wanted to make sure the setup ran well through the gun, and they did. I really liked the way they shot, hope they were somewhere close to major. A little disappointed in the accuracy. Best 5 round group was 1.25" and a 10 round group was right at 2" (all at 10 yds). Other attempts were worse. but I think most of that was me.... I can pull about every excuse in the book... Setting sun meant hard time seeing the crappy Glock sights, couldn't feel my fingers it was so cold, snow spotting my glasses, wind blowing me all around.....

Brass didn't kick out as far as with the factory loads, but seemed to eject relatively consistently (for a glock)

-rvb

This is Matt...

Are you shooting limited with the Plastic-Fantastic gun this year? Thought you were going to go open.

I just ordered a CRP Edge from Dawson last week....so no more excuses from me this year. I am C as of the end of the season, and now I am hoping to get a solid B by the end of the year. I am excited to see how my scores will look in Major power factor though....maybe I will need to try to go up two classes this year.

Good luck with the new gun if you are going that way

Hey Matt,

The plan is still to focus on Production. I'll just dable in Lim at the club level. I just broke out the open gun for a little change of pace/fun at the end of last year, not planning on open right now.

I plan to mostly have my Limited gun set up like my production gun so it won't be any real learning curve between them, just a major/minor and mag capacity difference.

Congrats on the new gun! Coming from Dawson it should be awesome! And going major should definitely help.

See you soon!

-rvb

I tried the Taran connector kit ... I measured it at about 4lb

Thanks to Taran for getting my dumbass straightened out.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196643&p=2310292

It's now measuring about 3lb, maybe a smidge under.

- I can get 20 rounds in the mag with the taran basepads, but it's HARD. Like slice my thumb on the cartridge rim and end up using a table to push the round in, and break the glock mag loader tool level of hard. Even after leaving them loaded and locked into a gun for 48 hrs. Looks like 19+1 is what I'll run.

I loaded another 100 rounds tonight and on a whim I tried stuffing them in my 140s. For some reason, I can get 20 in w. My loads fairly easily. I would call them reloadable, but it's aweful tight in the gun, so I'll be curious if it cycles well enough when loaded 20+1.

-rvb

Thanks to Taran for getting my dumbass straightened out.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196643&p=2310292

I loaded another 100 rounds tonight and on a whim I tried stuffing them in my 140s. For some reason, I can get 20 in w. My loads fairly easily. I would call them reloadable, but it's aweful tight in the gun, so I'll be curious if it cycles well enough when loaded 20+1.

-rvb

Have you tried the dawson follower mod yet?

Thanks to Taran for getting my dumbass straightened out.http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196643&p=2310292

-rvb

Have you tried the dawson follower mod yet?

No, what is that? Just switching to Dawson followers? I'm new to tinkering with glocks.....

Thanks,

-rvb

--YouTube--

Thanks, but no real change. I'm not sure how much play would be normal in the top 20th round. Once the slide hits that little "ramp" on the bottom side against the top round the resistance seems excessive...

-rvb

.40 chrono notes, G35

180gr Zero JHP

1.138 aol

Temp: low 40s

4.1 Titegroup

Ave= 884.9

PF=159.3

Hi=901.5

Low=862.1

Es=39.4

Sd=14.3

4.2 Titegroup

Ave= 891.8

PF=160.5

Hi=911.9

Low=870.8

Es=41.1

Sd=15.3

4.3 Titegroup

Ave= 894.4

PF=161.0

Hi=912.7

Low=880.5

Es=32.2

Sd=12.4

4.4 Titegroup

Ave= 916.9

PF=165.0

Hi=938.2

Low=897.9

Es=40.3

Sd=17.3

4.5 Titegroup

Ave= 924.1

PF=166.3

Hi=940.7

Low=908.1

Es=32.6

Sd=15.5

4.6 Titegroup

Ave= 953.3

PF=171.6

Hi=973.4

Low=941.3

Es=32.1

Sd=12.5

4.7 Titegroup

Ave= 958.3

PF=172.5

Hi=971.6

Low=927.0

Es=44.6

Sd=18.7

I'm assuming some of the non-linearity in the middle is from the low sample size (5).

I want to try some more a little closer to 1.135" oal. I didn't do a great job getting these where I wanted. I tried some at 4.3 with the oal a little shorter and gained a few FPS and a little better std dev.

post-6093-142154535247_thumb.jpg

An experiment in better traction.....

-rvb

This. Worked. Awesome.

Even with a looser grip when shooting groups the gun never budged in my hand. I shot a 3-shot 1/2" group at about 8yds ( all inside the top half of a paster.). Emptying a mag as fast as I could work the trigger revealed some awesome sight tracking improvement and I went through a whole mag w.o the first hint of the gun moving in my hand.

Pretty sure I'll be doing this to the G35.

-rvb

That big jump in velocity between 4.5 and 4.6 gets your attention. It's interesting how 1 grain of powder can make that big of a difference.

Definitely. I Wonder if maybe the 4.3 and 4.5 readings were low for some reason. I had extra loaded up at each step, so when it warms up a bit ill re-run it and see how it looks. Before that 4.6 reading I was starting to wonder if I was going to get a comfortable major load out of the TG....

-rvb

what has two thumbs and has actually dryfired like 3 nights in a row? This guy!

Last night I was slower, felt like I had to really push for the pars, but my index seemed better and I felt I was getting the sight on the A zone better on the draws and transitions. This grip material on the gun doesn't let you do a lot of re-adjusting. Not worried about it, but it's time to get to work after a few months off...

Last night I also put the TTI connector kit and a grip plug in the G35 and loaded some .40s.

-rvb

• 1 month later...

First club match of 2015 and my first match ever shooting Limited is in the books...

My first couple stages were pretty shakey. I just felt out of sync w/ everthing... the gun, the movement and settting up in positions, the trigger... I partly blame that on having spent the previous two weeks on the road w/ work so it had been 2 weeks since touching the gun. The rest I guess was just winter cob webs. I was slow, but ballanced it out w/ poor hits.

Finally on my 3rd stage (stage 2) I dialed in a little better, really shot agressive and had solid hits. I botched the reload on this stage, however... I basically missed the gun and sent the new mag flying and had to grab the spare off the belt. Not being used to shooting fully-loaded mags I didn't seat that one hard enough and got the bang/click on the next target. So I cost myself a good 3 seconds.

Classifier was 08-02 Steeler Standards. I shot this w/ 15A, 5C in 15.92s for 5.9673HF. Should be good for about 83%. I cost myself a little time, maybe 1 second as I forot the second half of string 1.... I finished the first 4 shots and stood there looking at the targets, then realized I had to reload and shoot some more!!

I REALLY need new sights on the gun. The factory adjustable glock sights are horrible. The FS is huge, there's almost no daylight around it, and the rear isn't smooth along the top... I felt like I was shooting the white FS dot like a red dot... like I was just covering most of the target w/ the wall of black sights and trying to get the dot on the A... my calling was off a bit and I broke a few I wasn't exactly sure I was lined up where I wanted to be.

Felt great to be shooting in a match again!

-rvb

I'm currently feeling motivated to practice...

I'm going to be shooting Production Nationals in August !

Except for the last two weeks where I was traveling for work, I have been dryfiring 5-6 nights/week, about an hr per night.

I'm ready for the season to get going!

-rvb

Felt good to finally get out again! Looks like I'm going to have to step up the dryfire and practice as well.

I don't think I care for you shooting Limited, by the way. You were tough to beat when you had to reload a bunch, now you just get to shoot more. Time to step up I guess! :)