rvb

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

Been a while, but been shooting very little, and when I have it's been distracted and dismal....

Yesterday I finally put together what felt to be a solid match, and it felt great.

1st was a technical change. I finally ditched the stock sights on my Limited glock and put on some TTIs. The notch/post width is just about perfect. I never liked the .135 rear width of the Sevigny's on my production gun. on tight shots it felt hard to ensure the sight was where it should be due to too much daylight around it. The .125 rear on the TTIs felt great. I went 1/1 on steel all day, and it seemed effortless. Shot 94.5% of points (one Mike on a tight partial, called it as I was leaving a position and opted not to back up for a make up). I may pony up the coin to swap out the production glock sights.... that 0.010" made that much difference...

2nd was a mentality change. I decided I was going to make sure I did walkthroughs on every stage, spend a little more time visualizing my plans and a little less time on the timer. I executed all 6 stages as planned and that hasn't happened in a looong time! It is a lot more FUN when you're not frustrated due to major mistakes.

Classifier was Bang & Clang, 99-62. I felt good w/ my run on this. 3.51, down 1. But the HHF is stupid high on this one, so that's good for ~67%. haha. HHF is 12.2, so it needs to be run clean in 2.45? I may set this one up in practice. Lick Ricky Bobby, I feel I need to get my speed back...

Next match is the IN Section, so I need to start practicing / dryfiring....

No video this time...

-rvb

• 1 month later...

Today was a range day I've been looking forward to for a long time. I took my first-born to the range for the first time. He'll be 8 in August. We used a 10/22 with a cheapo red dot and a cut down stock (still a little long, but didn't want him to outgrow it too fast). Started off loading 1 at a time, then worked up to 3 in the mag. He followed directions well, and was very accurate. We switched to a zombie wolf target he picked out, and he was calling out where he was going to hit (like an eye, only a 3/4" target). Didn't go through a lot of rounds, but he had fun! and so did I!

-rvb

post-6093-0-04645900-1467489986_thumb.jp

This was the first round he ever fired!

post-6093-0-36122800-1467489994_thumb.jp

Edited by rvb

• 1 month later...

what a train wreck...

shot Limited at ACC today.  Only two decent stages were the classifier and short course.

I couldn't do anything right.  Lots of mental mistakes and just bad shooting.

Classified was 13-06 Too Close for Comfort. Happy w/ my shooting on it, but still only an ~80%. Shot it in 5.58s, 45 pts (5A, 1B, 4C), 8.0645 HF.  Good 1s draw, 1.4s reload. Don't know I could have done much better other than to really pushed the draw/reload and shaved a few tenths.

My First stage "Why Not" was a 34 round course. I stuttered at the far end, apparently not having the plan very well burnt in. Had a M into hardcover. Had it been a major I'd have asked for an overlay to get the A, it was that close, but I shouldn't have put it in the black. I was 5 seconds off the pace. Also shot too slow on the partials.

My Second stage was probably my best field course, but I was still off pace by 3 seconds.  I wasn't looking at the correct target before the buzzer, and drew to the wrong one, had to adjust. One of the targets wasn't pasted and that drew my attention and slowed me down a bit. I didn't do as good a job as I thought burning the simple plan in.

3rd Stage, "push forward" was a total disaster. Got a wretched grip. Didn't call a miss on a popper that was the last thing shot before leaving a position. Cost myself 5 seconds getting back into position. couldn't hit steel for anything. Cost another 5 seconds at the end on make up shots and a plan that fell off the rails, so 10 seconds off pace total.

started off strong on my last field course, "stolen," but the wheels fell off on the last 3rd. Added an unplanned reload, which screwed up my timing moving between positions (was reloading when I should have been shooting on the move). ended up out of the box and had to step back in.

Only shot 92% of the points on the match.

It's been a couple months since I shot pistol in a match, and have been putting in no dryfire or live fire practice, and it shows! I have a LOT of work to do before the IN match, technically and mentally...

-rvb

Feel like it's midnight the night before an exam, and I'm just starting to study...

#toolittletoolate

#IN400

thrsday worked entry/setup into positions

friday worked gun handling... Draws, Bill drills, 2R2, groups, etc.

today went crazy on partials

i at least feel better mentally than I did going into that last club match.

-rvb

2016 Indiana 400 is done. worked it again. Always a lot of fun shooting/working with some great folks.

I shot Limited, my first major in that division.

Finished: 37/252 Overall, 11/92 in Limited, 6/16 Limited Masters

https://practiscore.com/results/new/25435

I shot fairly conservative. Dialed back to 8 or 9... given my lack of real practice or matches lately, my goal was to grind away and not make big mistakes. I accomplished that pretty successfully, only 2 penalties (1 NS on stage 2 and 1 M on stage 7). I burned-in and executed stage plans better than I have in a long time. Shot the entire 15 stages in one day, that was pretty grueling. I was feeling it on the last couple stages. It was my last stage I edged the NS.

I shot over 95% of the points. Over the course of the match, I beat the Limited champ by ~70 points, but lost by a combined 60 seconds. Definitely a lesson there. I shot it like a production shooter, chasing too many As. I watched some old vids of myself shooting open, I need to get some of that aggressiveness back and use major PF to my advantage.

Video of all 15 stages:

And for anyone wondering, I did not win a gun this year. Thanks for the cool knife, Jake!

-rvb

Pretty solid match at FtW, shooting Limited.

Squeaked out HOA against a couple solid PCC shooters.

Yesterday was how I should have shot the IN400. Sometimes we have to prove things to ourselves that we already know... I shot the IN 400 pretty conservative, about 85% of ability, and shot ~95% of the points. Yesterday I pushed 95%+, trying to hang with the PCC crowd (and prove to myself I could be more aggressive), and I still shot 95% of the points. I had one penalty, an edged NS (still got the A behind it).  Speed/accuracy don't necessarily have to have a direct inverse relationship. I 'know' this, but had to prove it to myself [again]. If I'd have shot the in400 like I did yesterday's club match, Id have closed that gap w/ the leaders considerably... not that I'd have closed that full 60s gap, but maybe cut 20s or more over the 14 field courses...

classifier was 08-03, Six. Shot 7.8431HF, only good for ~77%.  A/C on both paper. Sucked on the steel. 1st shot was low/left, second hit the front mini, 3rd also hit the front mini, then 4th hit the big popper.

-rvb

• 8 months later...

Shot the IN 400 Yesterday. I shot SS-Minor. 

I was a LOT of fun... I thinking mainly because it was the first major I've shot in a long time I didn't work. It was so much more enjoyable, I was able to do better walkthroughs and a better job getting my plans in my head, able to take a few seconds break while the other shooters are shooting...

My shooting was nothing great.  I cost myself a LOT of time over the match not getting mags seated. I'd guess about 8 times I had to re-load the gun when the mag fell out after a reload. My WH is sore and slightly bruised today from trying to beat those bastards into the gun. I figure that was at least 20 seconds over the match, if not more.

Point were poor, about 88%. Some of that was staying away from the edge on partials, some was distance, and some was sloppiness. 3 mikes, all just an inch or two low into partial hardcover.

I was "choppy" all day. I didn't do a good/smooth job of setting up in positions. Could have done more shooting on the move.

A couple times I still fought my tendency to get too high on this gun, and had to adjust to dis-engage either the thumb or grip safety.

The Ford 9mm 1911 ran perfectly.  I'm just going to try some tripp mags to see if they seat easier than these Wilsons.... but that's a problem for another day.... This weekend I think I'll shoot some PCC at our club match, and then get out the open gun for the rest of the season. :)

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Bill , this match with this gun was the first time I ever had a problem with the grip safety. I usually set them so it doesn't take much to disengage them so I need to just take a little material off.  Actually, your stage was the first time it happened!  Took me forever to get shooting, then I couldn't get the mag in.... I appreciate you rigging that plate to not fall so I could re-shoot it! :):):)

Good seeing you again!

-rvb

Shot PCC today. Won the division, but I think only cause Heath had some gun issues. 

Learned a few things...

- on the walk through, need to visualize/practice the lean needed when going weak side. Failed to do this, and didn't set up well on a couple of position, not anticipating the lean required. 

- need to be a little more aggressive with the shooting on the move

- I tend to hold the rifle at a ~30 degree angle when shooting fast/standing, which is ok until squeaking past a wall, and the bullets hit the wall instead of the target.... Need to plan when to be sure to get the gun vertical.

- put the batteries in the scope the right way, or the scope won't turn on.

- need to get/make an actual mag pouch... Big 9mm AR mags will bounce out your pocket... fortunately I didn't need the reload after all, it was "just in case"

- I like not lugging around a holster/mags/etc on my belt all day

-rvb

Ryan, great match today.  You guys do a great job and it is well worth the trip.  As to PCC, you handle it well.  Your grin at the end of each run says it all.  Hope to be back next month.  Thanks for all the hard work.