• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3-gun @ hillside.

stage 1: 100 yd slugs and rifle from 50 to 200. came in 2nd, would have won the stage if not for forgetting to stage my mag to load the AR. had to go fishing in pockets.

stage 2: 50 yd pistol and rifle to 300. bad draw so I missed my first pistol shot. forgot to rack the bolt on the AR (started mag in on empty chamber). when shooting rifle the wind changed on me from coming in about 11:00 to pretty much straight 9:00. once I figured I needed to hold off more I got good hits but spent way too much time figuring that out at the 200 yd target. I keep saying I need to work up a good 69 gr load and this proves it. My 55s weren't even moving all that fast (just over 2800), as chronod Sat in this cold air)

stage 3: tossed, which was fine... it was kind of a luck of the draw stage, w/ a star completely hidden except for the bottom plate. I sucked up the shotgun here and got a bad/crazy spin on the star.

Stage 4: all shotgun. I suck at [reloading] shotgun. There were two popper/clay-thrower targets. I decided to have fun cause I knew I was going to suck on the stage anyway so I put both birds in the air before engaging them... and failed miserably. the wind just tossed them and moved them completely away from where I expected them to be, so I racked up a crap load of penalties. But my give-a-f* was about gone by then after about timing out on the star. did I mention I suck at shotgun reloads.

Stage 5: All pistol, steel. Didn't shoot this as agressively or fast as I should have. a couple of makeups hurt, too. Forgot the reload was off the table and tried to find it on my belt so that cost me a couple seconds.

Thanks to Corey for the tips along the way on the shotgun stuff, and to Craig for loaning me the extra caddy.

Thanks to the crew for puttin the match on!

Fun day over all.

shotguns are stupid.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Not a bad outing for your lack of shotgun practice. You've obviously got the pistol down pat solid and rifle isn't far behind. Its that pesky shotgun ;)

I was thinking of rifle loads as well yesterday. When the buzzer when off on stage 2, I totally didn't even think about the wind (oops). I just found my vertical hold and let'er rip. Either the wind wasn't from the side as much as I thought or my 73s just cut through it like nothing! (little of both perhaps). I know some people swear by 55s in any condition but the longer the shots, I like a little extra BC help from a better bullet

yea, the wind kept changing. I looked @ the flag before the buzzer and it was almost dead at us. when I stood up it was sideways.

The idea that 55s can be good in about any condition is ok if you have them screaming, like 3200+. at 2800 I didn't have that advantage.... should have brought the 308 w/ 12x scope since it was all long-range stuff! ha!

Once I figured to hold on the left side of the target I was making good hits.

I've got some 69s loaded up w/ varying charges of RL15 to try out, just waiting on a good chance to test...

Pretty much all I've put through this gun is the cheap Horn 55s. I've also got some 55gr v-maxs to see if that helps my groups...

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 2 weeks later...

A little live fire today....

Dot torture, down 3 in ~96s @ 5yd. SH/WH need some work. Pretty good for me.

Ran Garcia dot drill a couple times @ 5yds. Down 8 and down 6. Kept pushing the gun a little low. Nice groups, just really working the bottom edge of the dots.... Trying too hard, maybe a little push happening. Have to let the gun recoil.

Bill drills in 1.80 and 1.95 clean. Draw is still my weakness @ ~ 1.1, 1.2 (relaxed). Need to shave a couple tenths there.

2R2s were just awful. In the 2.5-2.8 range, when I actually hit the hole. Lack of dryfire showing, as is the fact I've been making some minor changes that aren't burnt in yet.

Got a few rounds through the 308. Gas adjusted, new scope sighted in. 6 3-shot groups ranging from 3/4" to 2". Wasn't expecting much considering I was just shooting some Eastern European surplus stuff and the gun still has a Gi trigger. By the next time I should have a pretty AR gold trigger in it and I'll try some fed gold match or black hills... Then to start loading for it....

Put a couple rounds through the 45. Maybe shoot it as a 2nd gun at the upcoming classifier?

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

clasifier match at FWRR.

Shot Limited for score and Production as a reshoot.

On my limited gun I just made a lot of stupid mistakes. I was either too conservative or too agressive. Factory glock adjustable sights just have to go, they are hell on the tight stuff.

13-03. Got solid hits. Lost a second or more so as I almost forgot the SHO portion. I was taking out the slack on the trigger when I realized it and had to shift to SHO. Ruined what would have been a solid run.

09-11. zero'd. Saw I just edged a NS and decided to make it up. Turned out it also got the A behind it, so not only did I get the extra shot I got the extra hit. That fraction of an inch turned a good run into a zero.

99-41. needed a make-up on steel. kind of a 'meh' run.

09-03. first string I threw a round into the NS. Second string I just went for it as fast as I could I think I shot it in 2.36, and got all the hits! was pretty fun and riled up the squad. even w/ the M/NS and sloppy second run hits it'll be a 52%.

06-03. got just an aweful grab on the mag on the reload, like by the fingertips. didn't seat it all the way, had to tap-rack it....

99-56. On the left steel I called an edge hit, heard the ding and kept going. got about half-way up to the wall and realized it was still standing. FML. truly an edge hit that split the bullet and kept standing.

So only 2 scores will count.

Then I decided to shoot production just for the trigger time. was much more relaxed, esp since we were down to one squad of hooligans and I knew I wouldn't be called away for scoring/calibration duty, etc.

I put up a couple 100's and a couple upper 80's, which should bring my average up to a new personal best of ~93.3%.

13-03. Just too many Cs and a D hurt me here. pushed too hard.

09-11. 100%. All As.

99-41. A mike on a paper (tried to transition off before the shot was done. I called it somewhere near the edge and just hoped it would be there). turned a solid run into trash...

09-03. 100%. 11As, 1C.

06-03. I decided to focus on reloads vs trigger speed, although I still had some trigger freeze. New personal best for production at ~85.9%. This is a tension classifier. I feel there's no reason I can't put up 100% on this, but I never have. I think this is going to get some live fire practice put to it. It's all about not F'ing up, twice.

99-56. cost myself a little time making up a D on the close targets through the port. I was a little gun-shy on the steel after my first run so I probably followed-through a little more than necessary. otherwise I was pretty happy w/ this run, which should be about 88%.

now if only I could get work to quit sending me around the country so I could get some consistent dryfire in! frustrating and killing my motivation!

-rvb

Edited by rvb

re-learning some things about my reloads. through lack of practice, I've gotten lazy in my gun position on reloads, causing the magwell and mag to not really line up. These glocks suck in the mags pretty easy, unless you are out of alignment w/ the bottom of the mag angled back relative to the gun, then they'll bind up pretty hard. Worked on getting the gun more sideways so I could better see the hole and pointed a little more left to align w/ the mag better. Suddenly I was beating a 2s par on 2R2. (A couple yrs ago I could do that, but lately I was lucky to break under 2.6 or so). And consistency was way up... I only fumbled if I reverted back to the bad habit. I've been fumbling waaay too many reloads lately, which is why I started looking at them closer... I see lots of work in my future to get things re-ingrained...

-rvb

should bring my average up to a new personal best of ~93.3%.

hmm.. been a while since I paid attention to such things, so I forget... if you have multiple classifiers on the same day, do they drop the lowest first when rolling to the latest 8? I figured out the reason I got different results when figuring my % was because the system showed those scores in different orders when I reloaded the page. If the lowest is dropped first, I'll be at ~94.8! egads that was too close for comfort! guess I'll have to start throwing misses on classifiers between now and prod nats. :) haha! At least my next to drop off will be a 100, so i'll at least drop down some...

-rvb

Or just stop shooting production til Nats are over, lol. Shoot Lim-10 minor if you want "real world" practice for it, lol

I see more Limited in my immediate future! Either using my production gun, or my limited gun (once I get new sights for it, they'll be identical except for caliber)...

L10 is stupid. I refuse to acknoledge it and tarnish my classifier database by having entries in that division. :)

-rvb

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it seems either I or classifiercalc was off...

PRODUCTION Class: GM Pct: 96.47 High Pct: 96.47

-rvb

Edited by rvb

crash/burn on my first match w the new card! :)

well, truthfully 88% of maskey isn't too bad for me...

I'm still struggling w/ running the match and shooting well, even going into year 2. It's either someone having tablet problems or a scoring issue or a prop issue... always something. I only got to do a walk-through on three of the stages (and I did pretty well on those, 92-96%). It takes me a couple of stages to mentally reset into shooter mode...

I started off rough on my first two targets of the day... 2 NS penalties hurt. Ended at like 67% on this stage, down about 30 match points out of the gate. I definitely didn't have my head on right yet.

my third stage (Stage 5) I shot so-so (lost some time to a couple make-ups on steel and did an un-planned/un-needed reload for some reason)

stage 1 I missed the walkthough fixing a prop... and it was a pure memory stage. I listened to Corey telling someone his plan, walked it twice to try to see what he was talking about... I got all the targets, but about 4 seconds off pace.

ended up only shooting 90% of the points. pretty dismal....

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 4 weeks later...

A little practice w. The production gun...

Finally cleaned dot torture at 5 yds.

post-6093-0-29320800-1434063352_thumb.jp

Couple of observations:

1 slow as hell

2 check out those SHO/WHO groups (dots 5/8)!!

Did 3 or 4 Garcia dot drills too.... Not so great on those, all in the upper 20s. Couldn't get consistent... Would have one circle shot clean and the next would be down 2or 3.

Struggled a little w. Groups tonight...

Never got to the drills I wanted to practice before running out of ammo.... Next time I'll start w. Those...

This week I got 2 nights of dry fire in... In a row!

-rvb

Edited by rvb

cleaned my gun last night..... well... shooting in the rain counts as cleaning it, right?

some un-timed timing-type drills, some groups, nothing much. only set up one target up per person at our practice night as shit kept blowing down. once the slackers left I used their targets for some transition practice and a little shooting on the move.

up close transitions I noticed more of a target focus than I ever have before, almost point/index shooting. I barely saw the sights at all... maybe attributed to all the water on my eye pro? weird feeling breaking the shot seeing nothing but the azone, then realizing I saw nothing of the sights, so I'd then switch my focus to verify and the sights would be dead on.

worked on some 20-25 yd transitions, trying to increase my trigger speed / confidence shooting fast on the farther stuff. I think I'm starting to close that weakness in my shooting, last yr I was taking WAY too long setting up and pulling through the trigger on the more distant/partials.

not much of a practice, but I take what trigger time I can get....

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

Just withdrew from Prod Nats.

This summer is just too busy and work too volatile. Family vaca plans haven't panned out yet so maybe we'll get to make use of the weekend.

At this point, I'll be happy just shooting a club match at another club... I've only shot 4 club matches this year (the club I MD), and the L-II I RM'd (and just shot for fun but no score). No sense shelling out the big $ totally unprepared and unenthusiastic.

:sick:

-rvb

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good / fun practice night last night.

First, a .22 silencer may have been the most FUN gun-related investment ever. I can tell that thing is going to get used a LOT.

I hadn't touched my Production gun since my last practice.... In fact, when packing for the practice I couldn't find it; it wasn't in any of my usual spots (bench or safe)... then I realized it was still in my gun bag from my last practice. shows how much dryfire I'm doing...

anyway, started off with some draws at ~10 yds. All were in the upper .8s to lower .9s. Then we did some draw, 1-shot, reload, 1-shot drills on a 5 yd target. I hit what I think was my personal best reload yet with a 0.87. Hit was in the D just under the C line, but whatever. .87 draw and .87 reload for 1.74s total! (It was my second attempt, I bobbled the first.)

Did a couple rounds of accelerator. First round was meh at ~3.15 2A, 2A, 2C. Second round was much better at 2.74, 2A, A/C, A/C.

Then we mixed up accelerator by adding a reload and repeating, going in opposite direction, etc...

Hit a 1.5s reload on the 25yd target (think the shot after the reload might have been in the upper D / shoulder, but whatever).

felt good to be on the range again.

-rvb

• 1 month later...

Shot limited at ACC today. Pretty dismal... Just pretty poor shooting and stage execution all around. Won 1 stage on points, 3rd in Lim.

If I'm actually going to shoot limited more, I'm going to have to get sights and an extended mag release for the glock. The gen4 factory extended mag release is a joke, and I flubbed several reloads as a result. I think I need to take the beavertail backstrap off, too. That's going to like double the amount of $ I have invested in my Lim gun, haha!

Classifier was fluffys revenge 06-04. Shot clean in 3.68.

But while I wasn't happy with my shooting, it was fun to shoot at a match other than one I was running.... Next match is the IN section. We'll see if I can muster up some motivation to dryfire and practice between now and then.....

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 3 weeks later...

Relatively happy with my 5th place finish in Production at the IN Section match, especially given my complete lack of preparation or practice...

2nd of 5 GMs. I had 1 stage win (Alex must have had a malfunction or something)

I probably shot a little too conservative, though my points shot was nothing spectacular (~91%). I think one of my biggest areas for improvement was my setups when entering positions... a little off hitting the marks and being immediately ready to shoot.

6Ds, 2Ms, 1 NS.

First Miss was on the far center target on stage 7... I shot activator, paper, mover... and I pulled off the paper a little early going for the mover, even though I had plenty of time. wanted to make it up, but I guess my plan was too "programmed in" and I ended up letting it go...

2nd miss/NS was on a vertical transition on some stacked targets on stage 15. I think I just broke the shot a touch early on the transition...

Highlight was at the staff meeting after the match...

Lightning struck twice and I won a .40 SS gun built by Gavin Ford !!! My second Ford gun in <6 months!! The thing is just simply bad ass. I can't wait to get some good photos and vids to share. Gavin does just awesome work.

-rvb