rvb

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Warsaw yesterday (production).

only shot 84% of the points! 3 mikes! 1 penalty! OUCH.

Started on stages 5 and 6. These had opportunity for some shooting on the move and I was simply too agressive, really pushing my foot speed. Stage 5 I shot as close to a full run as I could and still keep the gun on target. I called a miss on one target and had time to make it up, but for some reason I got this idea in my mind that it would mess up my reload plan, but I had 3 spare rounds in that mag (stupid brain). Stage 5 I only shot 74% of the points. Stage 6 I only shot 85% of the points, and got caught needing a standing reload for my last shot due to too many make-up shots on steel.

I pulled my head out of my backside for stages 1 and 2; I got over 91% of the points on both (and Stage 1 was turtles). I was 2nd overall on stage 1 and I won stage 2 overal despite a couple extra shots on steel and I had to adjust my shooting position as my foot was rolling over the fault line so I had to step back a few inches before engaging my second array.

Next stage was a 6 round speed shoot, 4 steel and a paper, and I had a miss on the paper! ugh. I called it on the right side of the A zone but it snuck into the black (along the A perf). fastest time of the day, but the mike killed it.

Continued the shoot-too-fast theme into the classifier, 03-11 el strong/week prez. Called a miss SHO and made it up on the following string..... then called a miss WHO. didn't bother making it up, figured I was tanked.... despite a miss and an extra-shot penalty, should still come in ~79%.

Trying to scrape up a positive from the match.... I think my draws were much more consistent and faster, the dryfire there may be paying off.....

-rvb

shot production at FWAPS this weekend. won HOA.

I was disappointed and suprised in my points, at just 89% (though maybe w/ 4 Ds and 2 Ms I shouldn't have been surprised), I felt like I was slowing down and going for more As, with the exception of farther targets where I was going for a bit more trigger speed to ballance that 'over-aiming' feeling I had been experiencing.

One of the Ms was a clipped barrel edge. The round keyholed into the target but the barrel was hardcover. The second miss was on the classifier.

The classifier was 99-13 Quicky II. score was 76 points in 14.26 w/ -10 for the miss (HF=6.5217). Targets were T1=6A/2C, T2=5A/2C/1M, T3=6A/2C. I have no idea what happened for that miss. I didn't call anything way off. Either I really pulled off and didn't call it, or it was a legit double, I dunno. Hard to pull off too much w/ those no-shoots on either side....

I had one plan goof on stage 1. Plan called for a standing reload and I was going to do it in the middle of an array of steel. I got carried away hosing steel I forgot the reload (not too often we do a standing RL in prod!), realized it when I got the deafening 'click' on an empty chamber. Otherwise my plan execution was pretty solid throughout the match, so I was happy from that standpoint. On stage 2 I even changed my plan during my final on-deck walkthrough and pulled it off.

I had two make-up shots on steel for the day, and one of those I hit it and it wobbled, but didn't fall. Someone later said it appeard to have a broken weld around the hinge. I didn't get back to the bay to look at it before it got torn down, I wanted to mark it for us to look at/fix over winter.

-rvb

Did a little shooting today....

Draws... Dry fire pays off. Feels like that moment in Happy Gilmore: "uh-oh. Happy learned how to put!"

At 5yds, best was a 0.83, worst was a tick over 1s. All in the A of an IDPA target.

My first turn/draw was a D in 1.1. Just visual laziness, I didn't find the middle of the A, and the bullet went right where I looked. Next few t/d's were As, all in the .9 to 1.1 range.

2 bill drills.... First was 2.2 with a .4 trigger freeze on the last shot. Second was a 1.7x

Dot torture.... Took my time (123.x seconds), score was 45. So..... Nearly double my time, and score stays the about the same? I WILL shoot this freakin clean someday.

-rvb

• 4 weeks later...

Shot a multi-gun at Hillside this weekend. First time at a 3-gun/multigun since I moved to IN... I'm guessing ~8 yrs.

Looks like I came in 7th / 26 in tac-optics (Would have been 8th if not for Corey's squib).

Corey let me use his Benelli, so thanks, Corey!

Stage 1 was shotgun, and it went as well as expected. It took me ~50% longer than the fast guys for just 12 static clays. I tried for a couple of vertical doubles but I think I was hitting a bit low (not getting the sight picture I had practiced a couple days prior) and that didn't happen. VERY SLOOOWWWW getting shells into the gun. I failed to count how many I was stuffing in there and I think I took time to stuff a couple too many...

Oh, and I couldn't remember where the safety was located on the dang gun..... fumbled the start.

Stage 2 was all rifle. I was <2 seconds slower than the fast guys.... I think what hurt was 1) followed a bad stage plan (was leary about a hard-right lean around a wall/port w/ the longgun in the strong shoulder... that was a mistake, it was easily do-able) and 2) over-aimed, waiting to pull the trigger til I was in the A vs going for "2 on brown."

Stage 3, all pistol. Piss-poor draw, decent shooting. IIRC there were 17 steel plates and I only needed one make-up. poor job pogramming my positions and plan...

Stage 4 ("shoot off" stage)... visually impatient on the rifle, had a couple of low hits, right on the bottom edge of paper. called them and made 2 up. Thought another was high enough but w/ the distance/zero it must have just went under the paper. Was trying to push 2-on-brown as a lesson learned from stage 2 and it bit me with a miss. rocked the pistol, and slightly over-swung the stop-popper and had to fire a quick second shot (not sure if enough shot caught it to make it fall on the first round).

Not a bad first time out.... learned quite a bit about the differences in how to run multi-gun stages vs uspsa... had some fun.. still seems like a lot of gear to drag out to only shoot a couple dozen rounds from each gun............

-rvb

Last match of the year....bummer!

production at fwaps. What a train wreck. First two stages were my design. I shot the first, an 18-round course, pretty well. A couple to many Cs, but they were while moving hard and there were near-by no-shoots. 88% of the points, so not too bad.

2nd stage, crash and burn!! 10 round short course. 1 mike and 2 Ds. But I was damn fast!! haha. called the mike, but was on my way out of the shooting area and didn't want to take time to step back in.

classifier. 99-24. Time wasn't bad and T2-T3 hits were solid. T1 had a Mike/NS, and 2 Ds. solidly hit the NS on the draw. pushed too hard.

45 points (8A, 1C, 2D, 1M, 1NS). 5.65s total time. 4.4248HF.

Next stage, I had some grip problems. (been experimenting w/ getting elbows higher, which seems to put more pressure on the top of the gun, resulting in less wobble when the shot breaks. what I learned yesterday is it warbles up my grip enough it was slipping out of my hand in recoil). That messed with my mind enough I forgot a target. 2M/FTE.

I decided for the last two stages to forget the experimentations, forget record-setting times, and get freaking As. I rocked the last two stages. even beat a master open shooter on one, and just behind him on the other (2nd overall). I shot 97% of the points on stage 2 (25A/2C), and 96% on stage 3 (26A/3C). I ran it them smooooth. THAT's how I want to shoot next year.

I didn't want to end the season with 60 penalty points. But I least I ended w/ two solid stages. I only needed 1 extra round on steel all day... a ~20yd plate, 1st shot from holster.

Better visualization/planning. Mental focus on getting As. Efficiently getting from position to position. A simple combination that wins. Why do I keep getting away from it.

-rvb

• 1 month later...

I haven't done anything even remotely resembling practice in weeks..... However, I have my 9mm loaded for the 2014 season!

Kinda sad, I remember when I used to go through 4-5x per year what I do now. :(

-rvb

post-6093-0-02315900-1386533732_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

Got a couple,hundred rds of live fire in yesterday! First time shooting the Glock in a few months. Had gotten a few rounds throught the 642 over winter but that's it.

Recoil control and timing started off rough, but got better by the end. Started off with a reduced timing drill @ 10 yds. Group with .5s splits was solid, but opened WAY up at .25 splits. Lots of vertical stringing. Got better control of it by the end.

2R2 was right at 2.6 pretty consistent. A little slow, but was happy that I only saw a couple hundredth variation. Draws and reloads right at 1.1, .2 splits. Calling As. Lots of room for improvement...

Shot a 25yd group freestyle, 5rnds 3-1/8". Right where I was last yr. groups SH and WH were solid, but slow, need to improve SH/WH recoil control.

Last yr my grip was off... Too high on the gun keeping it from locking open. It seems I cured that in dryfire, I had no instances where it didn't lock back, and I purposely kept minimal rounds in the gun to make it lock as much as possible.

Did a few wide transitions... Started off too tense resulting in over swinging and not settling on target, and poor timing of breaking the shot... By the second mag I was settling in doing it right.

No real movement practice, range still had 12" of snow/ice, and I was trying to keep my brass on my tarp so I didn't have to go digging it out of the snow....

5 mo w. No live fire and minimal dryfire is looking like a mistake... Hopefully get one more practice and maybe a match in before the IN SS/prod/rev match. Not expecting a stellar performance at that match, I was too lazy over winter....

-rvb

Edited by rvb

That would be great, Bob. I had been debating on heading down there... That seals it. Shoot me an email with where/when to meet you guys.

Thanks!

-rvb

First club match of the year at Riley (IN04). Ist prod, 3rd overall, but it was ugly.

1st stage was a simple 22-round course w/ all wide open targets. I started out strong, but felt a little out of control (gun recoiling more than I wanted, sight not returning well, etc). Called an edge hit on my last shot before a reload and during the reload glanced out to look at it (it just caught the D perf, my only D of the day). When I swung to the other side I completely forgot a target (wide open, starring at me). FTE and 2 M. Great way to start the day/season. Caused me to not need an additional reload so my time was awesome. I ballparked I lost 30-35 match points on that one error, which would have easily put me in 2nd in the combined results.... that it saved me a reload and probably another 2s helped contain the damage.

Classifier was Pucker Factor (09-04). speed wasn't aweful, but didn't shoot a single A. 3B,5C in 3.79s, HF=6.3325. Again felt not really in control of the gun. Sight wasn't tracking/returning well, seemed the sight was lifting exceptionally high, and my calling wasn't very precise.

The two bigger field courses I shot pretty well. Both were 24A,8C. One with the start holding the bucket I took about 3 extra shots making up questionable calls (called Cs, but wasn't exactly sure).

There was a 30 round course that I planned 2 slide-lock reloads. I cost myself at least a couple seconds on the first reload. I mistimed hitting the release and closed on an empty chamber. I realized that was probably the case but took the shot on the target hoping it was there (else jacking a round out if I was wrong would have added a reload) and got a click. second SLR was perfect. Need to practice those.

Shot only 86% of the points.

I'm very glad I got this match in.... I was VERY rusty not doing any shooting for 5 months. Each stage got better, and I felt more in control of the gun and my calling improved. I left on a high note and feel much more prepared than had I showed up for the IN prod/ss/rev w/o this match practice.

-rvb

First club match of the year at Riley (IN04). Ist prod, 3rd overall, but it was ugly.

1st stage was a simple 22-round course w/ all wide open targets. I started out strong, but felt a little out of control (gun recoiling more than I wanted, sight not returning well, etc). Called an edge hit on my last shot before a reload and during the reload glanced out to look at it (it just caught the D perf, my only D of the day). When I swung to the other side I completely forgot a target (wide open, starring at me). FTE and 2 M. Great way to start the day/season. Caused me to not need an additional reload so my time was awesome. I ballparked I lost 30-35 match points on that one error, which would have easily put me in 2nd in the combined results.... that it saved me a reload and probably another 2s helped contain the damage.

Classifier was Pucker Factor (09-04). speed wasn't aweful, but didn't shoot a single A. 3B,5C in 3.79s, HF=6.3325. Again felt not really in control of the gun. Sight wasn't tracking/returning well, seemed the sight was lifting exceptionally high, and my calling wasn't very precise.

The two bigger field courses I shot pretty well. Both were 24A,8C. One with the start holding the bucket I took about 3 extra shots making up questionable calls (called Cs, but wasn't exactly sure).

There was a 30 round course that I planned 2 slide-lock reloads. I cost myself at least a couple seconds on the first reload. I mistimed hitting the release and closed on an empty chamber. I realized that was probably the case but took the shot on the target hoping it was there (else jacking a round out if I was wrong would have added a reload) and got a click. second SLR was perfect. Need to practice those.

Shot only 86% of the points.

I'm very glad I got this match in.... I was VERY rusty not doing any shooting for 5 months. Each stage got better, and I felt more in control of the gun and my calling improved. I left on a high note and feel much more prepared than had I showed up for the IN prod/ss/rev w/o this match practice.

-rvb

Look on the bright side, you did not shoot the same array twice on the same stage.

Edited by smith52

Look on the bright side, you did not shoot the same array twice on the same stage.

of course not, who would be foolish enough to fall for that stage design trick

I'm sure glad you went before me!

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

well, the ss/prod/rev match is in the books. dammed ashamed of my shooting on this one. I just couldn't get out of my own way. poor execution led to botched stage plans; poor shooting led to penalties.

I shot 4 stages reasonably well, but even they had mistakes and significant bobbles. Those 4 stages I came in 5th-7th. The rest I was down in the 20th-30th place. Finished 16th overall in prod.

day started off in the toilet by the time I'd fired my 11th shot. by then I had made up two mikes, forced myself into a standing reload, which trashed the rest of the stage plan, and required an extra reload for the stage. bam, down probably 6 seconds and proably 50 match points on that stage. And that's how the day went. a lot of just stupid mental errors... I won't bother with breaking down every stage.... they all went just about like that. The couple of stages where I did manage to stay on plan I mixed in some mikes to help keep my HF down....

I know I'm out of practice on the shooting, so it's like I tried to make up for it by going faster... and that just obviously leads to disaster.

a lousy 89% of the points, 7D, 5M, 1NS.

I guess I'm going to have to start making time for some practice....

shooting is a perishable skill.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Being RM and getting called away to calibrate steel can't help.

It's easy to start making excuses. hell, on friday chad almost had me convinced it was the gun ... bottom line is I wasn't putting the front sight where it needed to be before I broke the shot. that either resulted in penalties or blown stage plans making up mikes. I got the results I should expect after a whole winter of no live fire and almost no dryfire. other folks have been working, and they deserve the reward. I was lazy, and now have my work cut out for me.

-rvb

Nice meeting you!

It was great to meet you, too! Thanks for coming down to the match. I only got to watch you run a couple stages, but I felt I learned some things in even that short time. You really put on a clinic with your 20% win. Congrats!

-rvb

It's most definitely the gun! Glocks are turds! :roflol:

that is truth! I don't think even one of those unicorn tanfo things could have helped me on Friday... but I was tempted to get the beretta back out of the safe friday night and toss the glock into the pond accross the street!

Congrats on the M-class win! I somehow missed you on the range... what day did you shoot?

-rvb

It's most definitely the gun! Glocks are turds! :roflol:

that is truth! I don't think even one of those unicorn tanfo things could have helped me on Friday... but I was tempted to get the beretta back out of the safe friday night and toss the glock into the pond accross the street!

Congrats on the M-class win! I somehow missed you on the range... what day did you shoot?

-rvb

Thanks!

I'm always tempted to throw mine in the river. At least 2-3 times on Saturday, I kicked myself for not taking Craig up on his offer to shoot the Accu-Shadow.

• 4 weeks later...

Shot production at Atlanta. 2nd in production (out of 31), 8th combined (of 87). Missed 1st by 5 points.

I won 3 stages, and came in 2nd on 3 stages. Basically, stage 6 (my first of the day) cost me the match, I was 6 seconds off the stage/match winner (Rob). I think 6 was the only stage Rob beat me on?

Another thing that hurt was only shooting 89% of the points. I didn't give the turtles the focus they deserved. Especially stage 5, I caught myself aiming mid paper vs mid Azone. 3 Ds for the match.

My first stage (6) I was feeling snake bit after my flops at my first two matches this year. I wanted to get through a match w/o the mental crash and burns, and I ended up shooting too reserved. I also took an extra couple seconds on the plate rack (1-for-1 on the first 3 or 4, then thought "I can go faster" and wiffed a couple). I did a slide rack after my reload because I wasn't sure if I had fired 2 or 3 extra rounds at the plate and I am still afraid of riding the release and the gun not locking back... I jacked out a live round so that was time wasted.

Classifier was take'em'down, 03-03. it won't count due to the defective targets, but it would have been ~83% (8A/3C, 8.41, 5.8264HF). I lost at least a second leaving the first box. I slipped and about ate gravel.

I made it through the day w/o any mental breakdowns. I deviated very slightly from my plan on stage 4, but it was just a target order w/in an array thing, not a real time killer. No Mikes, no penalties. It felt good to finally put together a solid match.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

So about that practicing vs. drinking thing, what's your poison of choice? It's on me. :roflol:

:)

dont start beating me too bad, you might motivate me to practice!

-rvb

Edited by rvb