Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tight barrel bushings

shadetree

IF, you have a "retaining" hole in your guiderod, use a paperclip and take the guiderod out after removing the slide, some (mine ) bushings are tight, but it may be easy to turn to remove is ( mine again ) where as it was tight to turn left to remove the spring etc.

IF you don't understand my message, it's OK, everyone knows I don't know shit about guns!!!

When the bushings are so tight that they don't want to come out of the slide how do you persuade them? Thanks

After removing the recoil spring guide, spring, and plug from the rear. You simply use the barrel as a small slide hammer. If using a full length guide rod, as Z pointed out, the rod should be drilled for a takedown pin. The takedown pin does not work on a long frame!

Edited by Dan Sierpina

If you already have the guide rod out, Hold the slide in your left hand upside down. Fold down the link. Tap the foot of the barrel with a plastic mallet. As you tap, guide the foot so that it fits between the slide rails as it goes under the dust cover. I have to do this every time I clean my gun.

Kevin

Dan is the man with the plan, use the barrel, push it into the slide, pull it out and TAP it hits the bushing evenly and gently, push it in, pull it out TAP, tap tap tap that bushing right out. If you can't do this relatively easily in 15 whacks or so with the barrel TAP TAP TAP the guy that made it too tight and have him fix it. I lap them in, and they are TIGHT, but the barrel will easily remove them in 15 whacks or less.

I don't advocate using a mallet in shooting related use for anything other than adjusting other shooters or bad gunsmiths, if you have to hit it with a tool something is wrong but that is just my opinion.

HSMITH,

I used to use your method but I noticed if you weren't careful you could hit the sides of the slide with the feet of the barrel. When using the nylon end of my gunsmith hammer I can position the barrel so that it will not hit the slide. I simply push the barrel out until it makes contact with the bushing and lightly tap it out. I don't knock the crap out of it. I want all of my guns as tight as I can get them and still run. I want them capable of driving tacks.

PLEASE! Be aware of the bushing lug which locks it in place. After removing the guide rod and spring rotate the bushing to the left (looking at muzzle) about 45 deg.and you can see the lug through the dust cover slot,now you can push it out with the barrel.GOOD LUCK!

Ditto on using a mallet. Using the barrel alone to tap and pull the bushing out I've had to go back and remove burrs caused by hitting the slide. The barrel wouldn't fit back into the frame. That was the last time I did it that way. I use the nylon side of a "gunsmith" hammer. Push the barrel tight up against the bushing, ensure it's centered and lightly tap out.

A little Barry White playing low, some nice wine, a candle flickering, and a sensitive look on your face might help get it to open up....

I have put in a few bushings, and never hurt the slide at all using the barrel as a slide hammer, nor the barrel or bushing itself. Might be the Barry White playing and a soft touch that keep me from having problems LOL.

A little Barry White playing low, some nice wine, a candle flickering, and a sensitive look on your face might help get it to open up....

I have put in a few bushings, and never hurt the slide at all using the barrel as a slide hammer, nor the barrel or bushing itself. Might be the Barry White playing and a soft touch that keep me from having problems LOL.

Do you need to apply lube after all of that?!?! :devil:

Seriously though, my Wilson bushing is also a bear to get out. I have what I think are relatively strong paws and it does require a few light taps with a rubber mallet to remove the bushing out of my Springer bastard child.

LOL. Barry White, mentally noted.

I start with them pretty tight since they loosen up as the build process goes. I take the barrel out no less than 8 times before I'm done. I keep 'em lubed too! Got. Ta. Have. Lube.

As an aside, I just put 100 rounds (each) through 5 project guns today. Federal Hydra-Shok 185+p. You shoulda seen the fireball...that is some HOT ammo. Makes normal 230gr ball feel like a minor load.

Best group from a chair (makeshift rest) was .965" ctc, 8 rounds.

Edited by want2race