Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA website down

cmzneb

Have come across a few threads here today that are closed and say "go to the USPSA forum to discuss this". Well that would be great, but the USPSA website has been down most of the day. I've had it load a couple times, hit and miss throughout the day

Can't get the Steel Challenge website to load either. Not having any problems with any other sites though

This was a definitely a strange one - the server was up, easy to log into, email processing working just fine - but a boatload of Apache processes. I restarted the Apache server and all seems well now.

I still get the occasional DNS error. Sometimes www.uspsa.com will not come up, but www.uspsa.org does. I'd check with your DNS servers and make sure the SOA serial was updated or refreshen them so other servers will pick it up. My $0.02. ;)

I contacted the support company in Uruguay and asked why their monitoring did not detect the failure of web pages to load.

They determined that the http server was responding, just not sending any content, and that was sufficient to pass their scan. They have updated the configuration of their service monitoring system to attempt an actual URL load, so they should be able to detect such a problem if it recurs and take appropriate action without any need for intervention by myself or USPSA staff.

The server is hosted in Houston, however, the server farm's response time for technical support is "good" rather than "excellent", and they limit their assistance to only those specific packages they install. The support company in Uruguay (www.my-tss.com) has a highly competent staff, responds virtually instantly (I don't think any of them ever sleep), provides a broader spectrum of support, and charges USPSA the grand total of $75/month to be on-call - and does not charge us anything additional when they fix specific problems. They run automatic monitoring software, and even log on to the server from time to time to make sure everything is running smoothly.